What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Objections unmarked police cars thread - Flat in Fifth
Objections to unmarked police cars thread

I\'d like to hear a comment from resident b-i-b (serving and retired) about the above thread.

To kick it off, my own views.

HJ\'s comments justifying it with \"anything to improve observation\" made me laugh rather cynically. Sorry HJ.

Contributors regularly bang on about wanting more traffic units on the roads to catch the errant motorists. Crime cars etc excepted for obvious reasons, do people not understand why unmarked cars / bikes are used for traffic?

Despite the fact that some drivers don\'t appear to see a fully liveried unit when it is right under their nose, I\'m sure that most people recognise that such a marked vehicle is surrounded by an oasis of improved driving standards. Removing anonymity will reduce their effectiveness.

So, personally, I object to that thread, but I don\'t expect many will agree, not that that bothers me.

(Devils advocate mode = on)

This house suggests that maintaining a register of unmarked police vehicles could be interpreted as obstructing the police in the execution of their duty\"

Discuss

(Devils advocate mode = off)

Just for the record lets keep it off the speeding issues, we\'ve done that issue ad nauseam.

Objections unmarked police cars thread - Mark (RLBS)
1) I agree with FiF on a personal level about the [lack of] acceptability of a thread devoted to unmarked cars. I shall discuss this thread with the others and HJ

2) This entire thread deleted, for which I apologise. The person writing as HJ was not, in fact, HJ. I haven\'t the time to be surgical about it, so I wholeheartedly apologise for anything of value I deleted - and I know there was some.

3) I am not locking this thread but I would ask you to not contribute or expand the discussion while I discuss it with the others.
In particular - FiF - please be aware that the comments directed at you were not from HJ. They were from a particular inadequate who originally registered last year as Guru-Meditation and then this morning registered as HJ using a special character instead of the 'H'.

Much as it wasn't us that abused you, you still have our apologies.
Objections unmarked police cars thread - Flat in Fifth
Mark,

In light of matters arising, take it from me that whilst I thank you sincerely for the comments above, no apologies from yourselves are in fact required.

As far as the individual purporting to be HJ, rest assured it takes more than that to get to me.

Thanks to all, including those who took the trouble to make serious comments whether supportive or opposed.

FiF
Objections unmarked police cars thread - NowWheels
1) I agree with FiF on a personal level about the
[lack of] acceptability of a thread devoted to unmarked cars. I
shall discuss this thread with the others and HJ

I note your comment about not adding more, but just thought it might be helpful to say that I think that some reflection on the merits of this subject is a very wise step.

In the meantime, it might be advisable to also remove (rather than just lock) the thread where details of unmarked cars are posted. The subject could always be reopened later, but it does seem rather unfortunate to leave in the details of the unamrked cars while the discussion about the merits of that thread is suspended
point taken.
It has been decided that a thread dedicated to detailing unmarked police cars, particularly by reg. no. is not something we want in the Backroom.

I don't mind the occasional warning such as "unmarked Lada on the M3" since we should all be aware that they are around to help us improve standards that we are not prepared to improve on our own.

However, given the general resistance to cameras and the plea for more police cars on the road, harming the effectiveness of the cars on the road seems a nonsense.

Finally since they form an essential part of the police force effectiveness, rather than that of politicians, I see no motivation to risk, however slightly, hindering that.

The thread, this discussion, and the compilation of a list of unmarked cars, or anything similar, will not continue.

If you have anything you wish to say on the matter, then please use e-mail not the Backroom.

Apologies for the mixed messages and confusion,

Mark.
Objections unmarked police cars thread - No Do$h
I vas only followink orderzz.......

::: slinks from backroom :::

ND