What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - Bugman
Do i have an Head Gasket problem? Before i changed top hose engine seemed to run better when expansion tank empty and less water in engine?

620si Auto (Honda Engine) was losing a litre of water about every 2 weeks (found small crack in top hose, have replaced). Now as soon as engine gets warm expansion tank boils spurting steam and water up into the air. (while replacing top hose replaced rad cap and a tested and found faulty thermostat).
Bugman
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - RobertH
Mate
You have a head gasket problem but you could just have a air lock in the heater system drain the system and take of the top hose and lift it higher than the engine block,on the opening of radiator close it of with a plastic bag with an elastic band and slowly fill the system through the hose you should hear the glugging of the trapped air being released but it is inportant to do it slowly if this does not work HEAD GASKET Gone It could have happened through overheating

Hope it helps Good luck

Robert H
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - sierraman
Is there any oil in the water?'Mayonaise in the oil filler cap?These would indicate h/gasket blown.Also do a compression test.
Another thought,is the t/stat in the right way round?If I remember rightly it is possible to fit it either way round and if it is wrong it will give symptoms as you describe.
Cheer's for your reply. A garage fitted and bled the system so i would have assumed they have fitted the t/stat right way. No oil in water or Mayo in cap but a strong smell of fumes in empty expan tank. Cheer's.
Bugman
Many thanks for the info. I think it is the gasket. Its been to a garage today and a mobile mechanic has been out who have both checked everthing. No external leaks system bled & therm stat tested ok.. still in shock over cost of replacing gasket and a head skim. Cheers.
Bugman
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - Civic8
Did it overheat?.are you certain the thermostat is the same temp
as old one.an air lock in the heater matrix wont cause that.normaly when you are low on water in the xpansion tank you tend to lose heat from heater inside car.
Thanks for reply. Temp was normal while water was boiling in expan tank..heater always hot even when i had to put litre of water in rad and refil expan tank. Cheers.
Bugman
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - Civic8
Just a thought have you checked the air expansion pipe from rad to Xpansion tank some times they get clogged up and as it cannot clear any air it is pushed out in the opposite direction causing loss of water.as you describe.but as you are getting a smell I can only assume it is H/gasket.assume you mean an exhaust type smell?
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - DL
These engines have a nasty habit of cracking their heads.

I'd shoot the car on ASAP.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - Dizzy {P}
I'd shoot the car on ASAP.

Dave,

Isn't it extremely selfish to land someone else with the expense when they weren't responsible for causing it? Or do you mean that you'd tell a potential purchaser about it and reduce the price accordingly?

Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - DL
I meant part-ex it at a car sales lot - many will give you £1000 aslong as it drives in and has an MOT.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Rover620 Expansion tank keeps boiling up - Dizzy {P}
I meant part-ex it at a car sales lot - many will give you £1000 as long as it drives in and has an MOT.

>>

Thanks, Dave. I have no problem with that.

"Buyer beware" is fair enough if the buyer is in the trade. Traders that give a "guaranteed minimum trade-in" will have already built a contingency into the car they are selling to cover problems with the traded-in car.

In fact, I think you'll agree, the guaranteed trade-in figure will often already be added in full to what would be a fair price for the car being sold. They give you £1000 trade-in but the car you are buying is £1000 above its true value.

Sorry to have got a bit off topic.