What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-benz CL500 Auto - Using trader plates to steal cars - Refik Michael
Hi

I had my car stolen from my drive a few days ago and I believe I know who stole the vehicle. He has trader plates and trades under a sole trader company. I reported it to the police and informed them of the make, model and number plate of the vehicle. But if a person who owns a trader plate covers the vehicle and drives off with it, then theirs no way to trace the car using the ANP cameras and other smart cameras on the road, or am I wrong?
What can you do in this circumstance?
I believe this person will ship it to another country.
Is there any thing you can suggest that will help me trace and get my car park and to penalise the person who stole the car.
The person I believe had a spare key as I only had one set.
I also can not believe that the police informed me that proof of a V5C is not proof of ownership, which really has confused me. Theirs a disclaimer on all V5C forms of this. Does that mean I can take anyone car and claim it as mine?
This area is grey in law and I would like someone with knowledge of law, specially vehicle related law and ownership.
Mercedes-benz CL500 Auto - Using trader plates to steal cars - Andrew-T

The V5 shows the 'Registered Keeper' who may not actually own the car, IIRC ?

Mercedes-benz CL500 Auto - Using trader plates to steal cars - Middleman

I also can not believe that the police informed me that proof of a V5C is not proof of ownership, which really has confused me.

It says so in big bold letters at the top of every V5C.

Does that mean I can take anyone car and claim it as mine?

Of course not. If ownership was disputed the person claiming it would have to provide some proof, such as a bill of sale.

Mercedes-benz CL500 Auto - Using trader plates to steal cars - Bromptonaut

It's actually quite simple. A car is a possession just like anything else, ownership is based on acquiring title in exchange for money. Obviously more complicated if finance is involved but that's the general principle.

The person on the V5 is the Keeper; usually the person with day to day control and who is liable to pay VED and will be first port of call for vehicle offences/infringements.

How did you acquire the Merc? Do you have the purchase invoice etc?