What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which SUV plug-in hybrid - FatGirl

Hi,

I am looking for some advice as to which SUV I should buy.

Must be reliable.

I am buying with my own money and I'd like it brand new because it'll be a keeper.

Narrowed it down to Toyota RAV4 and Ford Kuga.

They're both face-lifted, so should be reliable. At least that's my understanding.

Poverty-spec Toyota is expensive, whereas the Kuga is pretty much fully loaded for the same money. Leaning towards the Kuga.

However... MG HS also springs to mind, plus I like its price ;)

Regards,

Betty

Edited by FatGirl on 17/08/2024 at 12:00

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Palcouk

Toyota & Lexus feaure as top reliability in all independent independent surveys. Kuga dosent feature in HJ 2024 most reliable, Generaly viewed as average, probably OK for the first 3 years, but after?

Simbos Rav4 is 2005 with 60k miles, replaced AC compressor this year, but nothing else since owned.

Ive owned a number of Lexus over the years, some new, I have never had a Mechanical falure on any or anything in any Lexus service.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Heidfirst

if you really intend to keep for a long time then the RAV4. Remember that you can keep it in warranty for up to 10 years & 11 months (subject to mileage) with dealer servicing. Try that with Ford.

I will mention though that there may well be a new RAV4 next year, it is due for replacement

Yeah.. speaking of Lexus.

My aunt had one (RX-350 hybrid cross-over) and just recently bought herself a new BYD... braaaaave decision. Swift or something like that, quite big SUV... and is generally very happy with it. Says the general quiality feeling between those two is comparable.

Who knows, I might end up with something like that or a MG for that matter. It's tempting.

On the other hand, just look what Rerepo wrote here some time ago:

"I'm in Thailand at the moment where MG (SAIC) have a factory. Possibly some of the UK market MGs are made in Thailand.....? Anyway, MGs are promoted quite heavily here, with some emphasis on MG being a 'British brand' - the union flag is often used in their adverts. The cars are cheaper than the Toyota and Honda equivalents but they lose value quickly and are not particular sought after secondhand. I've heard that parts supply is not too good, even though they are built here, and the dealers are generally poor."

OK, but that's Thailand... One would certainly expect them to get their act together and respect their customers over here.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - badbusdriver

They're both face-lifted, so should be reliable. At least that's my understanding.

That would be a mistake, it doesn't really work like that. In the case of most makers, a facelift simply means a higher level of gadgetry.

Poverty-spec Toyota is expensive

"poverty spec" is a relative term here though isn't is?. It's not like the RAV4 has wind up windows, manual mirrors and no a/c!.

In your situation, it would be RAV4 for me all day long, the term "no brainer" springs to mind!.

I'd be happy enough with the Kuga as a company car, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one. As for the MG, I wouldn't go anywhere near it as a long term ownership prospect.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Steveieb

As regards MG suggest you read the earlier post on the subject

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/174620/mg-zs---warranty

As for the MG, I wouldn't go anywhere near it as a long term ownership prospect.

OK. And what about the BYD?

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - paul 1963

As for the MG, I wouldn't go anywhere near it as a long term ownership prospect.

OK. And what about the BYD?

Personally it would be a no, can't quantify that statement but to much of a unknown, totally agree with badbusdrivers post btw, the MG would be a no as well...

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Falkirk Bairn

MHO

Toyota is more expensive BUT more reliable + slower depreciation +easily re-sellable(if looked after & serviced) + Toyota tend to standby their products & put their hand up and try to fix matters even after the warranty has expired.

Ford - less expensive + faster depreciation + reasonably easy to sell on (if serviced & looked after) + Ford do not standby their product (3 cylinder engines BANG, Auto Gearboxes BANG)

MG Cheap, lose value quickly, shortage of & expensive parts

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - DavidGlos
I’ve got a Kuga PHEV as a company car. Being replaced soon and currently on 61k miles. Aside from a 12v battery issue, it’s been completely reliable and is very economical. Good level of standard kit too.

If it was my own money and I was looking to keep it a long time, I’d put my hard earned with Toyota though. As others have mentioned, you’ll effectively get a 10 year warranty if you stick with their authorised dealers at the specified service interval.
Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Miniman777
Personally I’d go Toyota, but rather than poverty spec, opt for an ex-demo?

As for Fords, I’ve a garage owner friend (award winning garage too) who has a very unfavourable view about the three cylinder engines - in fact any three cylinder engine. He says he’s repaired and replaced dozens, and they are junk.

The Kuga is a 4 cylinder 2.5 litre but personally, I’d expect a better 0-60 time for a 222hp hybrid than 9.2 seconds.

Other plus for a Toyota is if it’s serviced annually by a franchise, 12 months warranty in included- up to 100k miles. A manufacturer backed warranty like that is not to be sniffed at.

Edited by Miniman777 on 26/08/2024 at 17:04

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Brit_in_Germany

Why a plug-in? Unless most of your journeys are short and you have a low tariff, you are unlikely to recoup the extra costs over a simple petrol engine, which will also be more reliable.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - badbusdriver

Why a plug-in? Unless most of your journeys are short and you have a low tariff, you are unlikely to recoup the extra costs over a simple petrol engine, which will also be more reliable.

So in your opinion, a petrol engined Ford Kuga or MG HS would be more reliable long term than a RAV4 PHEV?

Hmmm.......

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Brit_in_Germany

So in your opinion, a petrol engined Ford Kuga or MG HS would be more reliable long term than a RAV4 PHEV.

How about comparing a Ford Kuga plug-in with a non plug-in, or a RAV4 PHEV with the plain RAV4?

Why a plug-in? Unless most of your journeys are short

Let's see... yes, most of my journeys are short.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Andrew-T

My personal, probably off-beam reactions :

-- you can't guarantee 100% reliability on any car, only use statistical reports, and a face-lift doesn't necessarily lead to reliability either

-- go ahead if you don't mind the heavy early depreciation on any new car. You could look for something a few years old, by which time the reliability of that particular car may have been confirmed ?

-- we got our Peugeot at 8 months old and 13K miles. 15 years later it has proved its reliability, which I may have assisted by regular changes of oil & filter, but little else.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - John F

Must be reliable.

Most modern cars are.

I am buying with my own money and I'd like it brand new because it'll be a keeper.

To be a 'keeper' it need not be 'brand new'. I too buy my cars to be 'keeper's' - just four in over 40yrs - and I've still got two of them, none were brand new. If you do fewer than 10,000 miles a year it is usually v expensive to buy new, especially for the private punter. A well looked after car should last at least 15yrs; most depreciation occurs in the first four years.

Narrowed it down to Toyota RAV4 and Ford Kuga.

That's so narrow it's tunnel vision! Have you considered a Peugeot 2008 auto? Mrs F is v happy with hers.

Beware turd polishing! Tweaking the exterior does not always affect the internals.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - Graham567

I have a Kia Xceed plug-in hybrid that gives 34 miles of pure electric range and only take 2-3 hours to charge costing me 90p on overnight cheap electric. Throw in a 7 year warranty, interior build quality to rival an Audi and a car that still returns 60mpg when running on petrol and I think its a very overlooked option in the plug in hybrid market.

Which SUV plug-in hybrid - S40 Man

Test drive the MG HS. I had one recently as a hire car. If give it 6/10 at best. It was bouncy and hard to control acceleration in traffic. The brakes were a bit all or nothing. Soft press didn't do anything and sharp press was too abrupt.

The cabin and tech were pretty good.