What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice - catsdad

I prefer to buy locally so that any post sale issues can be resolved. Well we bought our Vitara from a dealer 70 mins drive away. Doesn’t sound too far but if you had to leave the car and go back later in the day for it you’re looking at losing most of a day.

Anyway within a day of picking it up I found the DLRs weren’t working. Brakes also were intermittently grinding in reverse. Both PDI fails surely. They gave us a free courtesy car for the day and resolved the faults. But it was a tedious day of killing time,

Then it needed a service, nine months into our tenure. We returned to the supplying dealer for this. Largely to maintain a relationship, at least in our first year. It meant kicking our heels for four hours. And that was “While you wait” service. They reported coolant leak stains but said it might be historic as levels were OK. They suggested I monitor it for 250 miles. Next day I checked the coolant level after 50 miles. It was low, just over the mark. I smelt a rat re the level having been properly checked at the service. However I topped it up as I couldn’t take it back all that way on low. After that, as I suspected, it’s now only going down very slowly in 250 miles. Having got my torch out I can see a wet gasket joint which presumably is what the service guy saw, so it is indeed leaking/weeping.

Rang today but despite my pressing they can’t get in the workshop for a month. This is probably not untypical of main dealers. Even then that’s only to assess it and raise as a used car warranty issue with Suzuki. We will need to take it back a couple of weeks later for the actual repair. Courtesy car is chargeable for both days. In theory I could take it to another Suzuki dealer but we’re in a bit of a Suzuki desert and the nearest one is still 30 mins away. They may also be rammed and of course we have no comeback on them if Suzuki reject the warranty claim. If that were to happen I am then confident (from the staining and slow rate of loss) that’s it’s been leaking for months so the supplying dealer should cover it if Suzuki won’t. Hence I need to stick with them for now. The car is drivable albeit I need to keep checking the coolant so I just need to suck up the delay.

It would have been a lot easier if they’d been local. Just dropping it off each time and going about our day. As it stands each visit means a day lost. As per the title, I should have followed my own advice.

Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice - Adampr

Possibly a stupid question but, if it's only in for a day and not overnight, can't you just plan a day out locally?

Not a stupid question at all. That’s what we do, we make a day of it. But there is a finite amount of joy to be derived from such days.

So I made a day of it for the service. They then fobbed me off rather than assess the problem. Now I have to make another day of it while they assess it properly. Then another day of it when they actually do the work. Three days of each of our time to get a gasket repaired.

Also I will have driven 300 miles, spent £50 plus fuel on courtesy cars, and £30 on Suzuki angel tears coolant. Luckily no time off work as we are retired.

The inefficiency is down to the dealer but the additional costs are largely due to my decision to buy at distance. That element is my fault hence the thread title.

Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice - elekie&a/c doctor
Squeaky brakes when reversing is fairly common on these ( mine doesn’t do it ) , may not have been picked up at the pdi , but failure of the Drls should have been noticed. Suzuki seem very good with warranty, so hopefully you’ll have no problem.
Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice - dugtrio

Sounds frustrating. Have you tried contacting Suzuki directly about it?

Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice - FoxyJukebox
What with all the petrol cost involved-I think I would have had the work done by an independent local dealer. Yes it would have cost, but I doubt whether the Suzuki guarantee would be infringed-but even if it was-so what?

I did consider that Foxy. I have a very good indie. What held me back was whether it is only the gasket that is the problem or whether the component the gasket seals to is also leaking. I don’t know what the component is, it’s at the front of the engine (water pump?) but I have no way of knowing how big the overall job might turn out to be.

My other advice to myself is to try to avoid multi party disputes. The car has been exclusively maintained since first registered by the selling dealer group. While we’ve had it less than a year I prefer not to venture off piste for repairs. After that I will take a view but, time and distance aside, the Suzuki service and warranty deal is good value.

Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice UPDATE - catsdad

Well three months after the weeping gasket was detected it was finally repaired today. Suzuki (parts supply) and the dealer did not cover themselves with glory.

To cut a long story short we had to make four appointments in addition to the original service and two of these were cancelled by the dealer a day before we were due to take the car in. Once for a COVID infection to a mechanic and the other because the gasket, ordered two weeks previously, had not arrived. Each time rebooking took 2-4 weeks due to how busy they were. On one of the “successful” appointments they forgot to supply the promised courtesy car. Killing a day at IKEA is added torture.

The gasket was on the oil cooler to engine block. The dealer advice was it was safe to drive meantime but I was sceptical that a weeping gasket would not lead to oil contamination. So we used the car very sparingly and monitored coolant level and dipstick for mayonnaise. Luckily the oil stayed clean.

Using a more local dealer would have avoided the long round trips but it looks as if they are just as rammed with two month delays for online bookings. Also when I rang their parts dept at the outset of the problem to check if they had the Suzuki coolant in stock they said “just use any blue one”. Not true.

With hindsight I would have been better getting my indie to do it.

I will take a view next June as to whether to stick with Suzuki servicing and warranty in future.

Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice UPDATE - De Sisti

When I think a Suzuki Vitara, I always visualise one in this link.

(link removed as too long and Tinyurl won't recognise it either. Mod)

When I was in the RAF in Berlin in the early 1990s, a friend of mine bought one.

Edited by Xileno on 17/09/2024 at 08:21

Suzuki Vitara - Should have followed my own advice UPDATE - Falkirk Bairn

Up to 7 years warranty on Suzuki cars if you have the servicing done by a Franchised Dealer!

A son bought a 4 year old Toyota Aygo - uses the main dealer for warranty cover up to 10 years More expensive than others but warranty on major components is worth a lot more than the odd £50 extra.