What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Piaggio Porter 1.3 Multijet petrol engine - badbusdriver

I have long felt that a (small) dropside pick up would be the ideal work vehicle for my needs, ideally something like a Daihatsu Hijet, Piaggio Porter or Suzuki Carry. These are very hard to come by these days though (apart from JDM import Kei trucks, which will only carry 350kg, not enough for me). So the Porter which has cropped up for sale has very much peaked my interest.

The Porters which were officially sold in the UK between (approx) 2000 and 2010 were just rebadged versions of the Daihatsu Hijet, complete with with that vehicle's (nigh on indestructible) Daihatsu/Toyota 1.3 petrol. But the example I am looking at is a 2015 facelifted model which uses what is claimed to be an all new 1.3 engine called Multijet.

I know this is a long shot (what with them never officially being available here) but does anyone know anything about the engine, specifically re reliability, but also whether it is actually "all new" or just an updated version of the Hijet unit?. What I have found out is that it is a 1299cc 16v twin cam with chain drive.

Piaggio Porter 1.3 Multijet petrol engine - Falkirk Bairn

Wikipedia names the 1.3 engine as MultiTech I4 not MultiJet

www.truckanddriver.co.uk/latest-stories/the-new-pi.../

Piaggio Porter 1.3 Multijet petrol engine - Adampr

There is a Piaggio dealer not very far from me (which is very far from you):

www.knightcottmotors.co.uk/offers/piaggio

If the answer isn't on the website, I suppose you could just call them and ask about the engines?

A bit more digging suggests that it is indeed called Multitech (because it can be LPG, dual fuel etc) and is made by a Chinese manufacturer called Dongan.

Piaggio Porter 1.3 Multijet petrol engine - edlithgow

A bit more digging suggests that it is indeed called Multitech (because it can be LPG, dual fuel etc) and is made by a Chinese manufacturer called Dongan.

Might just need to find out what they copied, then.

Might just need to find out what they copied, then.

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that Harbin Dongan Auto Engine Co also manufacture the 4G19 (1.3l petrol) engine for Mitsubishi.

Edited by Adampr on 07/06/2023 at 11:16

Piaggio Porter 1.3 Multijet petrol engine - badbusdriver

I must have been having a senior moment when I started the thread as I was aware that the engine is called Multitech rather than Multijet. I even had another page open at the same time with a Piaggio Porter brochure PDF.............

;-)

That Dongan make the engine and it is also (possibly) used by Mitsubishi is interesting, though I'm not sure whether that should reassure me?!. I'm trying to think of the last Mitsubishi sold in the UK with a 1.3 petrol and I think that would have been the Colt sold up to 2013. But that was 1332cc, so I'm not sure it is likely to be the same unit.

Knightcott Motors?, I am familiar with them through previous looking into both Piaggio and DFSK (very high prices!), but certainly worth a phone call to ask about the Multitech

Thanks all :-)