What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
various - car rental as a new driver - johnmazda

I only passed my test a couple of months ago and I have been looking to rent a car to do a few road trips - something I obviously have missed out on for many years.

I noticed that virtually every rental company require at least one year of experience as a license holder (and some require you to be at least 25 years old). I was about to give up until I found that Enterprise is the only rental company in the UK that allow you to rent a car regardless of driving experience, as long as you have a clean license and are over 25.

I plan to do a day tour of driving in north Scotland along the A82 which is meant to be one of the most scenic road trips in the UK apparently.

Anyone used Enterprise and would you recommend them?

various - car rental as a new driver - Adampr

Enterprise are okay. They're the same company as Alamo and National, so it may be worth checking them too. The only one I avoid (in the UK) is Europcar; too many bad experiences.

Great thanks for the reply Adam

various - car rental as a new driver - Bromptonaut

Enterprise are, as noted above, a decent mainstream provider of hire cars.

Only cautions are the usual ones around insurance and liability for and amount of excess and/or excluded items.

various - car rental as a new driver - Ian_SW

My company use Enterprise for corporate rentals, and they seem pretty much the same as any other mainstream rental company. The only thing I would say about them is that they get their moneys worth out of their cars (and staff) with cars shifted from one hire to the next within a very short time, and are often juggling car allocations around when someone is late back etc. This does mean you're pretty unlikely to get the car you specify when booking, and the "or similar" can be something very different to what you request.

Before now, on the "Astra or similar" category, I've had everything from a Fiat 500 (where the difference in cost was refunded) up to a Jaguar F-Pace as a free upgrade, so if you're only comfortable driving smaller cars it would be worth making this clear to the branch when booking.

On the A82 itself, are you planning to do all of it, or just a section? Glasgow to Inveness and back in one day both ways on the A82 would be quite a trip for new driver in an unfamiliar car. Although a very scenic route its not the easiest road to drive along, and requires a fair bit of concentration compared to the same number of miles up the motorway.

various - car rental as a new driver - Falkirk Bairn

A82 figures in many accidents - twisty and "big lorries fill the road" on corners

OK thanks that is good to know. The route I was planning to take was from Stirling to Glencoe

So starting from the town centre in Stirling and following the A85 to Doune then to Callander and then only joins the A82 at Crianlarich.

Then I'll be on A82 to Tyndrum, Bridge of orchy, black mount, Loch BA and then finally finish in Glencoe.

After stopping in Glencoe for a bit, I'll head back to Stirling doing the same route. So won't head up further past Glencoe.

What do you think about that? Is that challenging and probably best avoided until I have more experience or is it doable?

Might I add also, I've been driving almost every day for two months so been building up the experience, however that is all largely town driving with not many faster roads. I did do the pass plus where we went on some faster roads and motorway driving but haven't done any since on my own. Is the route I detail above mostly national speed limit, so 60mph for most of that stretch?

Edited by johnmazda on 12/05/2023 at 07:47

various - car rental as a new driver - Bromptonaut

OK thanks that is good to know. The route I was planning to take was from Stirling to Glencoe

So starting from the town centre in Stirling and following the A85 to Doune then to Callander and then only joins the A82 at Crianlarich.

We've done that route regularly for years continuing to Fort William and over to Skye for the Western Isles ferry.

The Doune>Callander>Crianlarich bit is a lovely road with nice views. It avoids the section of the A82 along Lomondside north of Tarbet which, although improved, is twisty and narrow in places.

• The section beyond Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy then over Rannoch Moor is pretty straightforward as long as you are very careful overtaking lorries or caravans. Like the A9 it's muppets chancing overtakes where bends and dips mean they haven't the visibility and/or space who cause accidents.

Be careful and you'll be fine.

Be aware though that Scotland is highly addictive; once bitten you'll keep returning.

EDIT: Some lovely scenery with the voice of Karen Matheson:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZEIKnKLfVM&ab_channel...d

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/05/2023 at 09:16

various - car rental as a new driver - daveyjp
Good route, but can be very busy around Glencoe. Be aware the A82 between Tyndrum and North Ballaculish is a Clearway so no stopping except in designated parking areas.

Ok that's good to know. I've had a look at the route on Google maps and it's fairly straight roads all the way through (with a few bends here and there) and there are plenty of stop off points from Tyndrum to Glencoe actually, or viewpoint stops I think they're called.

Hopefully, not too many caravans given it's not really high season (and not a bank holiday etc.).

I'm guessing it's mostly 60 mph with the both the A85 and A82?

Annoyingly though it will be around 4 hours of driving all in one day as I have to return the car the same day. I really should have stayed overnight in Glencoe or somewhere close to break up the journey. Oh well there's always next time.

various - car rental as a new driver - RT

Ok that's good to know. I've had a look at the route on Google maps and it's fairly straight roads all the way through (with a few bends here and there) and there are plenty of stop off points from Tyndrum to Glencoe actually, or viewpoint stops I think they're called.

Hopefully, not too many caravans given it's not really high season (and not a bank holiday etc.).

I'm guessing it's mostly 60 mph with the both the A85 and A82?

Annoyingly though it will be around 4 hours of driving all in one day as I have to return the car the same day. I really should have stayed overnight in Glencoe or somewhere close to break up the journey. Oh well there's always next time.

You will get caravans between Stirling and Crianlarich because caravanners generally hate the A82 between Crianlarich and Tarbet - for much the same reasons as ordinary car drivers but more so because of their extra width.

Personally, I don't have an issue and always use the A82 alongside Loch Lomond when taking the caravan - but I'm very much an exception.