What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cheap insurance - Marc
Anyone know of any cheap insurers at the moment. Tying to get the wife some decent quotes but they're all talking silly money because she's got no NCB (never had her own policy before) Had a license for 10 years mind

Thanks
Re: Cheap insurance - Mike Harvey
My younger son did his through the co-op, www.cis.co.uk. Cheapest by far for 18 yr old no NCB. People also speak highly of tesco at the moment.
Mike
Re: Cheap insurance - John
My 18 yaer old son has just got 3rd party, fire& theft for £485 ! from Tesco. That is with pass plus that got him a 30% discount but its the best we could find. Don't be afraid to phone and haggle, he did and got it down from £700.
Re: Cheap insurance - Andrew Hamilton
Try the search facility on this site as is was covered. I just tried the search engine google and worked my way through several insurer groups who use the internet. I found Budjet easy to use as you could try different variations to see how the insurance would vary. The cheapest Budget found for me was Forte insurance. Thank god their dreadful TV adverts have gone!
tesco. - christopher watson
if you go to tesco.co.uk then click on finance, then on motor insurance. these people dont care about NCB, the website just asks for how long you have had your license, PLUS you get 5% off the insurance if you buy online.
Re: Cheap insurance - Sandy
Tesco?

Logged on, followed all the instructions, answered the questions, and it said it was calculating my quotation - please wait!

So, I waited, and waited, and waited........

After half an hour I gave up. I wonder if it's still calculating!
Tesco?

Logged on, followed all the instructions, answered the questions, and it said it was calculating my quotation - please wait!

So, I waited, and waited, and waited........

After half an hour I gave up. I wonder if it's still calculating!
Thanks, John,

Trouble is my snobby old ears have trouble with a lot of accents nowadays - they can still cope with old British film sound tracks, quite well.

Also it's about something non-boring and I hate being laughed at!

Cheers, Sandy
Re: Cheap insurance - Simon Butterworth
My partner faced a similar problem. Found a policy through Swinton with AXA Provincial aimed specifically at women in this situation. Around £300 comrehensive for two named drivers on an 8 year old Citroen BX,
Re: Cheap insurance - Lucy James
I saved the best part of 200 Quid on My insurance by using Tesco - over the renewal quote provided by Direct line - Actually Direct Line were nothing like as good as their smooth advertising suggests.

I had a minor accident but they were ages getting it sorted out - I was without my car for nearly 3 weeks - no courtesy car - and when we went to collect it from the repairers it looked as if they had casually thrown the front wings and bonnet back together - nothing lined up properly the headlights pointed in completely different directions and it took a further two hours for the "approved" repairers to sort it out in between hurtling in and out of the workshop to see if that would do ? - whilst I waited - and I was treated very badly - they thought I hadn't heard them calling me a "mardy cow" after which my boyfriend threatened to belt the manager ! what a farce....

Well Tesco have my business now ! Direct line can B#llocks
Direct Line - Marc
I think Direct Line was sold a couple of years ago (presumeably once the founder had made his money) Therefore the cheap quotes they were once famous for are no more. It seems to me that all the insurers have "sales" at some point when they are beating all the others on price. Once they have got their customer numbers up to target they are no longer competitive (pricewise)and perhaps focus on retention
Re: Direct Line - Keith Bassett
"I think Direct Line was sold a couple of years ag"

No. Direct Line has always been owned by Royal Bank of Scotland and it still is. The founder (Peter Wood) left Direct Line a couple of years ago to set up a similar operation for the Halifax.

Direct Line can be very competitive - both of my sons insured with them after extensive research but, of course, no company is cheapest for everyone. I have just got a quote on-line from CIS for myself (Group 15, 37 years NCB, Kent). Their quote was almost double my Eagle Star premium for an inferior policy.
Re: Cheap insurance - Carole Adams
Tesco's quote for a new 18 year old driver was good, but beaten by CIS - I am the policy holder, and I've never had my own policy till now - AND I dealt with a real person face to face, not over the phone.
Re: Cheap insurance - John
Sandy
Give them a call then. They will talk to you.
Re: Cheap insurance - Marc
Thanks for all the tips. Tesco are working out the cheapest so far. Can't get the CIS to work online yet
Re: Cheap insurance - Colin M
There is a comprehensive list of insurers, with links, on my website :

www.sportimport.co.uk/insurers.htm

Colin
Re: Cheap insurance - Paul
Beg to differ. Just collect my car following a touch. The service from Direct Line could not have been better, same goes for the Repairers. Probably depends on the repair depot used by DL where you live. Anyhow, if it's not your fault you can claim the cost of a hire car from the other party.
Re: Cheap insurance - Mike Rollings
Try Quotebusters in St Albans. Got £150 off my last renewal. Phone is 01727 875777 and you get to speak to a real person.
Re: Cheap insurance - Chi Kwong Chiu
Has anyone noticed that the quote system used by Tesco is exactly the same as the one used by Direct Line? Could Tesco insurance just be branded Direct Line insurance?

I would recommend Natwest Insurance Brokers (in yellow Pages) who got me insured with Wren. I wholeheartedly recommend Wren Insurance services...they were cheap and don't charge extra for changing address mid policy and get this....even if you change from a group 4 car to a group 14! Bonus!

Chi