What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
retro fit elec. windows to golf - Adrian
I have a 1994 golf driver 3 door to which i would like to fit electric windows (with vw switches etc so it doesn't look like a bodge job).

Has anyone ever done this before, or do you know what it entails and where could i get the bits from ?
Re: retro fit elec. windows to golf - Guy Lacey
It's dead easy but not cheap as electric window motor and assembly is over £100 from VAG and the scrappers know this.

All you will need is to find the assemblies and switches at a scrappers or VW breaker - the wiring should already be in-situ. It is then dead easy to fit.

A good VW breaker is www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk in Melksham - they will be able to help you.
Re: retro fit elec. windows to golf - Robert Harvey
Adrian,

I don't know too much about VW, but I did exactly this to an Astra some years ago. Suggest you contact a few breakers and get the door wiring harnesses (if you need them) from a car with electric windows, together with the motors, switches etc. The only frustrating bit comes from having holes in your existing door trims (from the handles), but if you want to do the job properly you might be able to pick up the door trims as well.

Hope this helps - it worked for me.

Regards ............. Robert
Re: retro fit elec. windows to golf - Guy Lacey
The holes left behind can be made clean by the "grommet" or finisher as standard on all golfs with electric windows.