What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speed limit reduction - Alyn Beattie
A while ago there was a tread regarding the way a local authority has to go about reducing a speed limit. I have used the search facility but can't find it . I seem to remember there was a website with the rules and regulations. Can anybody help please?
Re: Speed limit reduction - Dwight Van-Driver
Alyn.

Bit dated as I've been out of it for 12 years, but local authority Traffic Management Departments used to use a 10 point speed criteria plan. This covered the percentile speed of vehicles i.e. what 85% of drivers were travelling at, accident record, building line in depth or not, road junctions and classification, views of other interested parties, i.e. Police, etc etc. From this it was judged whether a speed limit should be imposed or reduced.
Before implementation I seem to recall there was a publishing requirement to take in local objections and if an A class or Trunk Road was involved them DoT had to give permission.
Have a word with your local council TM department and they may well up date you.
Sorry if this is a bit woolly but it aint only cars that rust........
Re: Speed limit reduction - Alyn Beattie
Thanks Dwight

It's the local highway department I intend to take on. Thanks to a prat of a local couniller they are going to lower the speed limit on a wide straight piece of road to 20 MPH. At the end of this road is a school and this is the excuse to lower the speed limit. I have no objection to speed limits being lowered when schools are in use, indeed I think it's a good idea. But evenings. weekends and school holidays account for far more time in the year.
Further, South Wales police have a mobile speed camera paid for by our council. The council complain to the police that it is not used enough in our area and there are not enough prosecutions. Guess where they will probably set up this money machine when this speed limit is lowered?
Re: Speed limit reduction - fred smith
try

www.abd.org.uk

for a start