What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - _

New neighbours want 3 cars as moved out of Londonium.

1. 20 yr old licence 2 and a bit years. budget £3500-£4000

2. school run car for mum.room for 2 teens to schoo/collegel and sometimes 3rd teen. budget up to 15K

3 Dad still works near Lakeside, about 600 miles a week plus family holidays for 2 adults and 3 teens, could be lease or pcp.

1. doesn't like venga, no street cred. (my old 2011 venga in lovely mechanical condition but a bit scratched... they could have had it for about £3000 and my old mate would have done a respray for £700 ish.

2. feels venga too old

3. Dad, ( a spirited driver) would like a largish estate. (Doesn't like the "bulk" of the Korando or similar SUV types

All the above petrol, gearbox immaterial.

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - paul 1963

Easy!

1) pug 107...won't go wrong, good fun to drive..

2) Vauxhall Mokka 1.4t petrol...good value now, cheap to mend if needed.

3) Honda Civic 1.6dti tourer....see 1)!

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - Adampr

I wonder if it's just those of us from Camulodunum and surrounding areas that like to use Latin place names?

Anyway. I'm going to have a think (and Autotrader research) and see what I can come up with..

Laat post didn't work. For car 1 my suggestions were:

1. The rational one - 107/C1/Aygo as suggested
  2. Also fairly rational - Kia Picanto
  3. Classier option - VW Up, Skoda Citigo or Seat Mii
  4. Wildcards - Renault Twingo, Chrysler Ypsilon, Mini One (R50).

Edited by Adampr on 03/04/2023 at 20:56

Car 2:

1. Honda Jazz
  2. Toyota Auris
  3. Skoda Rapid / Seat Toledo

Car 3; there was no budget, but a Skoda Superb to suit the budget is probably ideal.

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - Big John

Re 1 - depends on the size of the 20 yr old. As mentioned the Peugeot 107 / Toyota Aygo / Citroen C1 share the same oily bits are very cheap re insurance and reliable (Toyota engine etc) but they weren't suitable for my tall son when he first drove. He ended up with my old Octavia that was cheap to insure as it had the smallest 1.4 NA engine but I'd suggest trying the Skoda Citigo/ Seat Mii, VW up especially the 3dr if tall - surprisingly accommodating. I have friend that has a Citigo and he loves it.

Re 2 - Hyundai i30 / Kia Ceed are affordable (you get a lot of& newer car for your money) and have reliable petrol engines? Or a Seat Leon?

Re 3 - I'd second a Skoda Superb - I'm biased as I love mine! If toooooo big how about a Skoda Octavia?

Edited by Big John on 03/04/2023 at 22:19

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - SLO76
Car 1 - At this money condition and history are more important than anything else here, but I’d certainly shortlist the following - with a dose of street cred in mind. I’d stick with normally aspirated petrol engines only. Mazda 2 1.3, Suzuki Swift 1.3/1.2, Toyota Yaris 1.33, Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 or Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Pug 107.

Car 2 - Depends on how much space is needed, but if a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv would be sufficient then this would be my number one. They’re bulletproof mechanically and great to drive yet economical. What’s not to like? If more space is needed then a Honda HRV or larger CRV make good family workhorses. A Mazda 6 or CX5 again in petrol form make a lot of sense.

Car 3 - I’d have a Mazda 6 but it might not have enough go for him. To me handling means more and these are great to drive while utterly dependable in petrol form. I don’t trust German prestige brands or most modern diesels. There’s too much to get wrong. A Skoda Superb or Seat Lean FR Estate with the well liked 1.4 TSi petrol would be worthy too.

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - nellyjak

1...Aygo/IQ

2...Yaris/Auris

3...Avensis/Corolla sports touring.

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - John F

Absurdly generous. Beggars can't be choosers. Street cred my posterior. If dad's a 'spirited driver', they might well be too, and the odds of an expensive RTC are high. Look out for a pensioner's dented trade in for around £1000.

2. school run car for mum.room for 2 teens to schoo/collegel and sometimes 3rd teen. budget up to 15K

Voluminous estate a must. Run-of-the-mill mainstream ubiquitous Ford, VW or somesuch

3 Dad still works near Lakeside, about 600 miles a week plus family holidays for 2 adults and 3 teens, could be lease or pcp.

600miles per week is a huge annual mileage, just for one occupant. Don't even think of pcp with its penalties for excess mileage. Get something small, either diesel or electric and use mum's car for hols and family outings. Or if he wants a bit of fun yet practical long term reliable mechanics, consider a low mileage second hand MX5.

Absurdly generous. Beggars can't be choosers. Street cred my posterior. If dad's a 'spirited driver', they might well be too, and the odds of an expensive RTC are high. Look out for a pensioner's dented trade in for around £1000.

Voluminous estate a must. Run-of-the-mill mainstream ubiquitous Ford, VW or somesuch

600miles per week is a huge annual mileage, just for one occupant. Don't even think of pcp with its penalties for excess mileage. Get something small, either diesel or electric and use mum's car for hols and family outings. Or if he wants a bit of fun yet practical long term reliable mechanics, consider a low mileage second hand MX5.

Perhaps the 20 year old is buying their own car??

I agree. She actually likes the C3, and the bank of mum and dad will help.

2 and 3 could be interchangeable on reflection, She likes the Korando seating position he doesnt want.

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - Big John

I agree. She actually likes the C3, and the bank of mum and dad will help.

The problem with the C3 is the 1.2 Puretech engine

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - SLO76
“ Absurdly generous. Beggars can't be choosers. Street cred my posterior. If dad's a 'spirited driver', they might well be too, and the odds of an expensive RTC are high. Look out for a pensioner's dented trade in for around £1000.”

The days of picking up a half decent wee runner for a grand are sadly gone John. I see cars advertised as spares or repair with no Mot regularly at £1,000. £3k is where cars that are really worth £1500 are at today.
Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - Heidfirst

1. Aygo/107/C1

2. Auris/Corolla - would she be happy with an estate which has better rear leg room as well as obviously bigger boot (the hatchback's is quite small)? Remember can still be within manufacturer warranty if under 10 years/100,000 miles with dealer servicing.

3. Corolla estate (good mpg for the long trips). The latest version has lopped ~1.5s off the 0-60 for the 1.8 but the 2.0 is better for the "spirited driver".

Mazda 6 petrol

Skoda Superb

Edited by Heidfirst on 04/04/2023 at 12:19

Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - Metropolis.
1. Grand Vitara

2. Outlander (normal petrol not PHEV)

3. Mazda 6 estate or Mondeo Estate in st trim
Suggestions from the panel - 3 cars for a family 3 budgets, - Engineer Andy

1. doesn't like venga, no street cred. (my old 2011 venga in lovely mechanical condition but a bit scratched... they could have had it for about £3000 and my old mate would have done a respray for £700 ish.

2. feels venga too old

3. Dad, ( a spirited driver) would like a largish estate. (Doesn't like the "bulk" of the Korando or similar SUV types

All the above petrol, gearbox immaterial.

Any budget for No.3, _ORB_? Sounds like No.3 might be throwing money away if they highly value 'street cred' and 'performance' rather than reliability, comfort and the cost of ownership. I see that sort of bloke going for the likes of an Octavia vRS estate or equivalent Beemer, spending small fortunes on fuel, tyres, insurance, speeding fines and trips to the osteopath...

I think we have sorted 1.

Fiesta 1.2.approx £3500

updates to follow

2 or 3 possibly the ford or mazda estate, mazda they both like the styling.as new as possible. plus roofbox, which i can give them (someone gave it to me.)

interchangeable with ? for dad to go to work.