What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - sonaldo

Thinking about buying an Audi A3 (reg KV16 YFB) found on Cinch, but it's MOT history makes for interesting reading. On 30 Jul 2020 it failed for the following reasons:

• Front registration plate incorrect (0.1 (c))
  • Rear registration plate incorrect (0.1 (c))

It then passed on the same day. I've googled but haven't been able to determine if this is something to worry about or not?

In addition, between its two most recent MOT dates (16 Apr 2023 and 23 Jan 2024) it's apparently clocked up 203 miles despite not being taxed since 21 March 2022...

Any insight into whether this should put me off buying would be appreciated, thanks!

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - Big John

Probably had a personalised number plate with invalid spacing of numbers/letters etc. My son's car had one before he bought it and it was swapped shortly before being traded in- the MOT history remains with the chassis number so then shows up against the new number.

It's been in the trade since 21st March 2022 but last v5 issued 14th March 2022 - probably re plate swap by the previous owner.

Edited by Big John on 07/02/2023 at 23:52

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - catsdad

It’s now listed as sold (by Lookers) so I guess the query is now redundant? Anyway the low miles between MOTs is probably not suspicious. Cars can spend a surprisingly long time being shunted through the trade. Then if it ends up at a big motor group like the one which had this up for sale they sometimes seem to hold cars for quite a long time before even putting them on sale and when they do they keep them at high prices for weeks or months. All this is counterintuitive to the normal approach to go for quick turnover and may well have been a product of low interest rates (until recently) and rising prices whereby the cost of holding stock was relatively low.
Having said that it’s not a good idea for a car to sit virtually unused for long periods with the battery depleting and the tyres sitting in one spot but that’s a separate issue.

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - badbusdriver

In addition, between its two most recent MOT dates (16 Apr 2023 and 23 Jan 2024) it's apparently clocked up 203 miles

So this is a time machine then?

;-)

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - De Sisti

In addition, between its two most recent MOT dates (16 Apr 2023 and 23 Jan 2024) it's apparently clocked up 203 miles

So this is a time machine then?

;-)

I also saw that.

Edited by De Sisti on 09/02/2023 at 13:59

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - Bromptonaut

As identified already it failed due to an oddity with the plates. Pretty much certain that it was some combination/variation on a plate with incorrect spacing or whatever (colour of bolts?) or a coating to 'defeat' cameras that pulled the tester's chain.

Correct ones substituted and then it passes.

There is, or was until recently, a pickup in use locally on which the plate seemed to spell the word RIFLE as though it were R1 FLE but with dodgy spacing. Upon closer checking it was actually B1 FLE with the mounting bolts both front and rear placed to make B read as R.

Not seen it for while but that may be post pandemic/different work arrangements for me am or the owner.

OTOH if you're stopped several times with the same misrepresented number the plate can be confiscated.

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - Engineer Andy

As identified already it failed due to an oddity with the plates. Pretty much certain that it was some combination/variation on a plate with incorrect spacing or whatever (colour of bolts?) or a coating to 'defeat' cameras that pulled the tester's chain.

Correct ones substituted and then it passes.

There is, or was until recently, a pickup in use locally on which the plate seemed to spell the word RIFLE as though it were R1 FLE but with dodgy spacing. Upon closer checking it was actually B1 FLE with the mounting bolts both front and rear placed to make B read as R.

Not seen it for while but that may be post pandemic/different work arrangements for me am or the owner.

OTOH if you're stopped several times with the same misrepresented number the plate can be confiscated.

Seen that a few times over the years, using the bolt holder (changed to black caps over) to convert a C to and E or an O or zero to an 8 or B. Sneakly little beggars.

Audi A3 - Failed MOT due to incorrect number plate - Andrew-T

Presumably those are expiry dates. I have always had to look carefully at MoT printouts to be sure when the test was actually done.