What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vw golf gte - Hybrid car - John Mcfarland
I’m looking for a car that’s a self charging and plug in hybrid along the lines of a golf gte, where it can either be plugged in or charge when driving.
During the week it would be used for short journeys so hopefully would run on battery, then at the weekends longer motorway journeys.
Other than the golf what other makes and models could I look at with similar capabilities, obviously not all would have the golf gte performance and my budget is around £18000
Vw golf gte - Hybrid car - RT
I’m looking for a car that’s a self charging and plug in hybrid along the lines of a golf gte, where it can either be plugged in or charge when driving. During the week it would be used for short journeys so hopefully would run on battery, then at the weekends longer motorway journeys. Other than the golf what other makes and models could I look at with similar capabilities, obviously not all would have the golf gte performance and my budget is around £18000

Autotrader has a search facility that includes the ability to select plug-in hybrids - as well as price and performance.

Vw golf gte - Hybrid car - Adampr

Hyundai Ioniq, Kia Niro, Kia Optima, BMW 330e, BMW 225xe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Mini Countryman, VW Passat, Toyota Prius, Audi A3 etron.

Check the WLTP electric range. Some PHEVs (take a bow Mercedes) only have the electric capability as a tax fiddle and are next to useless as an actual hybrid.

Personally, I would be tempted by the Kia Optima. Deeply unfashionable, so still relatively cheap, comfy, reliable and full of toys.

Vw golf gte - Hybrid car - craig-pd130

I had a BMW 225xe for 3 years and 35K miles (company car) and it was excellent.

It's not a stylish car by any means but it's comfortable, spacious, versatile and very quick when the electric and petrol motors combine in Sport mode. It also has the added benefit of 4 wheel drive in slippery conditions, as the petrol engine drives the front wheels and the electric motor is built into the rear axle.

If I remember right the 2019-onward models had a slightly bigger traction battery which improved the real-world electric only range to about 25 miles (my 2017 model had a real-world electric range of 18 miles in summer, 14 miles in winter). My daily commute was 4 miles each way (8 miles per day) so I'd often go for a week or more without the petrol engine firing up. You can drive up to 68mph on battery only, but obviously those speeds will drain the battery faster.

I don't know if it would fall into your £18K budget, but my advice - buy a BMW approved used one. I had zero faults with mine in 3 years, but if something does go wrong in the first year of ownership, I'd want a bulletproof warranty. These are complicated cars.

Vw golf gte - Hybrid car - Ian_SW

Whichever car you look at, make sure you check the boot space is adequate for your needs in the specific plug-in version of the car.

Quite a few fit the battery somewhere within the boot, which leads to a smaller and sometimes less practically shaped boot than the standard petrol version of the same car. The Golf GTE is particularly bad for this, its boot is smaller than the boot in a Polo, and only marginally larger than what you get in an VW Up.

Cars that start with a bigger boot in the first place, such as the Passat and Octavia still lose some capacity, but it's less of a problem unless you're carrying really large amounts of luggage.