What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Completely new driver, need buying advice - PJT1

Hello,

I'm new to driving and need to buy a very affordable first car, but I don't know quite where to start. What is the minimum I should be spending for a run-around like a Polo or Golf? I see a lot of decent looking ones on ebay for £1,750-2,500 that I wouldn't mind driving.

What kind of thing should I be getting as a first vehicle? Thanks.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - badbusdriver

What the minimum spend is will surely depend on how much you have available to spend. £1750-2500 is really not a lot, which doesn't mean you won't get anything nice, but will largely be down to luck and due diligence. Luck, because (presumably) with a budget that small you wouldn't be keen on traveling far to view cars and so dependent on what there is in your area. Due diligence comes down to knowing what to look at when viewing a cheap 2nd hand car, what is important and what isn't, looking online at the MOT history of whatever car you are interested in (which will give you an idea of how well looked after the car has been).

As to what you should buy, no hard and fast rules other than keeping things as simple as possible. That means n/a (naturally aspirated, i.e, not a turbo) petrol engine and ideally manual gearbox. A VW certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list, but at this price nothing (after the above) should be ruled out. A well looked after VW could work out a better buy than a neglected Toyota despite the latter usually being emphatically more reliable. But also, with such a small budget, if looking within your own area your pickings are probably going to be very slim. So you could (and should) end up with the car that has been looked after best rather than the trendiest/sportiest/coolest you've seen.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - Xileno

I suggest you look at insurance costs first as that will be a significant factor. At this end of the market you need to buy privately, you will get far more car for your money.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - Adampr

Good advice so far. My only addition would be to ask friends and family if they have anything to sell. You will get something with known provenance, they will be able to sell without a lot of hassle.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - elekie&a/c doctor
For that sort of budget, I’d be looking at a Fiesta with the 1.25 petrol engine. Cheap to run with s/hand parts readily available and low insurance.
Completely new driver, need buying advice - Big John
For that sort of budget, I’d be looking at a Fiesta with the 1.25 petrol engine. Cheap to run with s/hand parts readily available and low insurance.

Seconded

Completely new driver, need buying advice - bathtub tom

Good advice so far. My only addition would be to ask friends and family if they have anything to sell. You will get something with known provenance, they will be able to sell without a lot of hassle.

NO, NO, NO! Never buy or sell from family or friends, because when it goes wrong (and it will) there could be a massive falling out.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - Adampr

NO, NO, NO! Never buy or sell from family or friends, because when it goes wrong (and it will) there could be a massive falling out.

Those people are not your friends.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - PJT1

Thank you for your replies.

Well, I'm wondering how much I should put into a first car. I could spend £3000+ or keep saving for a while.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - sammy1

Buy something with a small engine and a years MOT for about £1500 and keep the rest to run it. Find someone with some knowledge to help you and if it were me I would look at private sales. Spending more than this on a limited budget will not get you a better or a more reliable car. Double check the insurance quote before you buy and simple checks on the likes of tyre treads and last service can save you a lot of cash you might spend after buying the car. If you find a car you like ask again and you will get particular advice to that model

Completely new driver, need buying advice - Crickleymal

My son's first car was (and still is) a Fiat Panda 2005 reg. He's had to have a bit of welding done but apart from the usual consumables nothing else. Cost him £1200 or so 3 years ago.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - Alby Back
My son who is now approaching 23, has had two cheap Aygos (Aygi?) since he was 17. Totally faultless both of them.
The only reason he had a second one was the putting of the first one through a wall at 40 mph incident.
They are not brilliant at that sort of thing, although it was only the the wall and the car that were harmed.
Aygos (Aygi?) are pretty much diametrically opposed to the market position of my car, but I’d have to say, any time I nick his, I kind of feel like I’m having far more fun than I should.
Cheap to buy, run, insure etc. Might be worth a look.

Edited by Alby Back on 31/12/2022 at 19:42

Completely new driver, need buying advice - daveyK_UK
Buy a Suzuki Alto / Nissan Pixo (they are the same car different badge) with full service history and 12 month MOT.

You should get a really good example for under £2000.

Reliable, easy to drive, cheap to insure, good fuel economy and most of all small and compact making it easy and ideal for a new driver.

If the looks are too off putting, go for a Fiat Panda 1.1 or 1.2 petrol.
Again, full service history, MOT and the best you can find for under £2k.
Very cheap to insure and cheap main dealer body parts should you need to have anything repaired.

Completely new driver, need buying advice - Xileno

If looking at then Aygo then you should also include the PSA clones with the same 1.0 Daihatsu engine.