What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - rob1234

Hi John, I'm 79 Years old, in Two Years Time, Will I have the Usual 3yrs update ( from, 79.?) Thanking You Rob

Edited by Xileno on 17/12/2022 at 15:45

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - nellyjak

Unclear question.....I assume you had the usual renewal at 76.?...if so then you have a renewal due at 79.

Hi Nelljak,

Yes I had renewal at 76yrs,and my next one is at 79yrs of age, in two tears time,,,, I'm just trying to find out if the Next Renewal would be same procedure, making my Renewal Licence at 82yrs of age. Thanking You Rob

Hi Nellyjak,thank you for Your Reply ,and yes my (Question Is Unclear.) but you have put it Perfectly, Thank You

Unclear question.....I assume you had the usual renewal at 76.?...if so then you have a renewal due at 79.

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - RT

17 Dec 2022 13:28

Hi John, I'm 79 Years old, in Two Years Time, Will I have the Usual 3yrs update ( from, 79.?) Thanking You Rob

Yes - but - DVLA may decide to issue a shorter licence, for 2 years or even 1, if you have any medical conditions which concern them - I have an implanted Pacemaker/Defibrillator so I only get a 12 month licence from DVLA, which takes them about 6 months to consider the renewal but I'm allowed to drive in the meantime.

Edited by Xileno on 17/12/2022 at 15:45

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - Maxime.

Why does the link take us to the sign in page?

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - Xileno

No idea. As the link served no purpose I've removed it from the original post and the one by RT

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - Engineer Andy

Yes - but - DVLA may decide to issue a shorter licence, for 2 years or even 1, if you have any medical conditions which concern them - I have an implanted Pacemaker/Defibrillator so I only get a 12 month licence from DVLA, which takes them about 6 months to consider the renewal but I'm allowed to drive in the meantime.

Interesting. Is it that your pacemaker has a defibrilator built-in make the difference to the licence being issued annually rather than every 3 years? I ask, as my dad has a pacemaker only, and I don't recall him saying he needed to get his licence renewed that often (he's 79).

Given my mum has essentially given up driving (she doesn't have any conditions that would reduce the period of the licence afaik), it would be useful to know, especially as my dad will only be doing the driving.

Interesting. Is it that your pacemaker has a defibrilator built-in make the difference to the licence being issued annually rather than every 3 years? I ask, as my dad has a pacemaker only, and I don't recall him saying he needed to get his licence renewed that often (he's 79).

Given my mum has essentially given up driving (she doesn't have any conditions that would reduce the period of the licence afaik), it would be useful to know, especially as my dad will only be doing the driving.

I don't know what makes the difference in my case, my medical history is complex so it could be something else. Sadly DVLA won't release details of why they come to a specific decision.

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - HGV ~ P Valentine

At the age of 70 you must renew your licence every 3 years but you are able to carry on driving while your licence is being renewed as long as:

• Your doctor agrees that you can continue driving
  • You drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • You are not disqualified
  • Your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
  • Your application is less than a year old
  • You had a valid licence
  • You weren’t disqualified as a high-risk offender on or after 1 June 2013

At the age of 70 you must renew your licence every 3 years but you are able to carry on driving while your licence is being renewed as long as:

• Your doctor agrees that you can continue driving
  • You drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • You are not disqualified
  • Your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
  • Your application is less than a year old
  • You had a valid licence
  • You weren’t disqualified as a high-risk offender on or after 1 June 2013

Be aware that some applications take longer than 12 months for DVLA to come to a decision - so a re-application is necessary after 11.5 months to permit continuing to drive while the application is being processed.

This became an issue for DVLA during the Covid lockdown from which their backlog hasn't recovered.

Over 70s Uk Driving question 17 Dec 2022 13:18 - HGV ~ P Valentine

Driving after 70 - Learn how to renew licence | Age UK