What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Different wheels on Honda CR-V - tombond

Hi All,

I used to have Mazda 6 GH with separate rims on winter tyres:

Rims: ALCAR 9532
PCD: 5x114.3
Wheel size : 6,00Jx16
Offset (ET): 50.00
Centre bore: 67.1
Tyres: Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830P 205/60 R16 96H XL M+S

Now I driving CR-V 2009, where the wheels manufacture specification are :

Rims: PCD: 5x114.3 , 6.5Jx17 ET50, Center Bore: 64.1 mm
Tyres: 225/65R17 102T

I would prefer to sell the Alcar wheels and for the money buy a brand new all season 225/65R17 tyres, however I have post them nearly a week ago on Gumtree, Marketplace and Ebay, but I didn't get any interest of anyone, so it's might be hard to sell them for reasonable price.

How much are woth my Alcar steel rims fitted with Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830P 205/60 R16 96H XL M+S with about 7mm thread on them ?

I just wondering, if there are any contradiction of fitting my old Mazda rims on CR-V for the winter months? Is it safe / not recommended ?

They have the same PCD, Offset, but wheel size is 16" not 17". Also the centre bore is different, so I would have to get 67.1 to 64.1 wheel hub rings.

What do you think ?

Edited by tombond on 05/11/2022 at 12:49

Honda CR-V - Different wheels on Honda CR-V - badbusdriver

If you get the hub ring to make up the difference in centre bore, it isn't unsafe (beyond the fact that your speedometer won't tell you the correct speed).

Is it recommended?, no.

Not sure what the legal side of things are, but i'm pretty sure that if you were involved in some kind of accident, your insurance wouldn't pay up. So you'd effectively be driving uninsured.

As I said, not sure about the legalities, but as far as I can find out, a circumference difference of more than 3% is not recommended. The difference between your two sizes is 10%.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/11/2022 at 12:58

Honda CR-V - Different wheels on Honda CR-V - badbusdriver

Had a quick search and can find no info regards to whether or not putting the smaller tyres/wheels on the CRV is actually illegal.

The insurance aspect is a different kettle of fish though. At the very least, you would have to inform them (or enquire beforehand), but I very much doubt thy would go for it unless the tyres were of a similar circumference (within 3%) to the original.

Looking up a PCD list website, the sizes which would have been fitted to your age of CRV would be as follows:

225/70 x 16

225/65 x 17

225/60 x 18

245/45 x 19

245/40 x 20

Which are all within 2.5% of each other.

Honda CR-V - Different wheels on Honda CR-V - tombond

Thank you "badbusdriver" for your advice !