Decent size used MPV/4x4 - GraF

We now have 3 rescue dogs so looking for a decent cheap( under £5k ) petrol MPV/4x4 ( NOT an estate ). Only do about 5k miles a year.

Down to older ( I guess around 2008 )

VW Touran

Ford C-Max

Honda FRV

or newer

Dacia Duster

Would prefer auto but not sure what the auto boxes are like on these cars

Any suggestions

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - badbusdriver

We now have 3 rescue dogs so looking for a decent cheap( under £5k ) petrol MPV/4x4 ( NOT an estate ). Only do about 5k miles a year.

Down to older ( I guess around 2008 )

VW Touran

Ford C-Max

Honda FRV

or newer

Dacia Duster

Would prefer auto but not sure what the auto boxes are like on these cars

Not 100% sure, but I think all Touran auto's would be DSG, so personally I wouldn't go there.

Ford C-Max would be fine so long as you are sticking to the 1st gen which used a T/C. 2nd gen may have started off with a T/C too before changing to the dreaded Powershift, but I'm not sure.

Honda FRV useful and reliable. Interesting point here is that if you fold the rear seats, you still have 3 in the front.

An automatic box on a Duster is a very rare and fairly recent option, so very doubtful you'd find one at £5k. If you did though, AFAIK this would be a DCT of some kind from Renault.

Any suggestions

Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - Adampr

We had an FRV. Surprisingly good to drive, comfortable and fairly practical.

They are expensive to fix and don't seem to like being driven high mileages. You should be fine with your annual mileage, but take your time finding one and make sure it's in good condition (mine had an appetite for driveshafts and brake discs)

You could also consider something like a Citroen Berlingo or Peugeot Partner.

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - skidpan

We had an FRV. Surprisingly good to drive, comfortable and fairly practical.

They are expensive to fix and don't seem to like being driven high mileages. You should be fine with your annual mileage, but take your time finding one and make sure it's in good condition (mine had an appetite for driveshafts and brake discs)

But with a £5000 budget the OP is going to be looking at an older car that is likely to have covered a high milage when bought thus the OP's low annual mileage is pretty irrelevant.

As always buy on condition. A well looked after high milage car is far better than a low mileage neglected one.

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - GraF

Thanks for the answers so far

Manual is not a NO, just auto would be better

I can get a 13 plate Duster for under £5k.. are they ok or awful

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - Xileno

I've always thought £5000 or thereabouts is a tricky budget, you've a right to expect something decent but reality with prices stiff at the moment it doesn't buy that much. Especially if you want an auto. If you can manage with a manual then that will help. Also if you are confident (and have the time) to buy privately then that will mean more car for your budget. £5000 at a dealer will be a trade value car of about £3500

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - Xileno

Dusters appeal to those who want a no-frills basic vehicle. The early versions used a 1.6 petrol and 1.5 diesel engine, both durable if maintained. I think the 4x4 oily bits are from the Nissan X-trail.

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - gordonbennet

Fiat Doblo, massive boot, low loading. Looks quirky so likely to be cheaper than Berlingo.

Fiat Doblo, massive boot, low loading. Looks quirky so likely to be cheaper than Berlingo.

Is a Renault Kangoo the same? My friends, who live up a mountain in Spain, have his n hers matched Kangoos.

Decent size used MPV/4x4 - alan1302

Is a Renault Kangoo the same? My friends, who live up a mountain in Spain, have his n hers matched Kangoos.

As in the same car underneath? Then no, they aren't related.

But with a £5000 budget the OP is going to be looking at an older car that is likely to have covered a high milage when bought thus the OP's low annual mileage is pretty irrelevant.

As always buy on condition. A well looked after high milage car is far better than a low mileage neglected one.

Agreed. I meant that, if they can find a good one, they need not concern themselves with my comment on relatively high maintenance costs because their annual mileage is unlikely to cause issues. The trick is, of course, finding a good one in the first place