What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Syed Mujtaba

I have bought a used car in june 2022 from a local trader who advertised in auto traders and also in his website. The car was category s and has 117000 miles on meter. I checked the mileage on car spec and later on government mot check and both showing 117000 on mot which was done in 28 April 2022.

Yesterday I went to a showroom to sell the car as my wife wants a small car. The trader checked my car and told me that there is mileage tempering in car. I requested for proof and he gave me an experian report which showing mileage by dvla on 25 April 2022 (3 days before mot) and it was 132000.

So what should be my next step and why mot record showing 117000 when just 3 day ago dvla recorded 132000.

Please advise.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - badbusdriver

Sell it privately for a very low price and hope the buyer doesn't do the same check the dealer did (and you should have).

Lets face it a Cat S (structural damage!) Insignia with over 100k miles isn't going to be worth much anyway.

On another note, IMO buying a Cat S is really not worth the risk. In the event of an accident, even a relatively minor one, the car not being repaired properly could mean the difference between you and your family walking away, or ending up in hospital (or worse). Much better to buy a good example of an older car than placing your own and your families safety in the working practices of someone who will have bought a badly damaged car very cheap with the sole intention of repairing it and selling on for as big a profit as they could.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - pd

The DVLA figure presumably comes from a change of owner or the car going "in to trade".

The difference in value between a 117k Cat S and a 132k is not huge, just a few hundred pounds so hardly seem worth the cost of clocking as there isn't really the money in it.

I wonder if someone simply put the wrong figure in. People often do.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Xileno

I was thinking exactly the same. The modest difference in mileage would not be worth the risk of getting caught, especially on quite an old car.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Big John

I'd go back to the original trader you bought it from - you have rights, especially in the first 6 months

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Andrew-T

The trader checked my car and told me that there is mileage tempering in car. I requested for proof and he gave me an experian report which showing mileage by dvla on 25 April 2022 (3 days before mot) and it was 132000.

I would have thought a trader would be more worried about the Cat-S than a 15K mileage discrepancy. Your trade-in would only go to auction anyway.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - pd

The mileage difference has no real effect on its value which is why I think there is an entry error here and the car probably hasn't been clocked.

It makes no logical sense whatsoever for anyone to go to the trouble of clocking a Cat-S Insignia by 15k miles.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - bathtub tom

It makes no logical sense whatsoever for anyone to go to the trouble of clocking a Cat-S Insignia by 15k miles.

Why not? I know someone who used to clock their car by 5K or so every MOT. Looked a little better when theycame to flog it, but I suspect close inspection would have revealed tiny scratches.

Or even a label inside 'Oh no, not again!'

Edited by bathtub tom on 28/10/2022 at 15:29

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - badbusdriver

Why not? I know someone who used to clock their car by 5K or so every MOT. Looked a little better when theycame to flog it, but I suspect close inspection would have revealed tiny scratches.

Or even a label inside 'Oh no, not again!'

It makes no sense because as has been said earlier, the difference in value between a Cat S Insignia with 117k miles and a Cat S Insignia with 132k miles would be virtually nothing.

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Ian_SW

It makes no sense because as has been said earlier, the difference in value between a Cat S Insignia with 117k miles and a Cat S Insignia with 132k miles would be virtually nothing.

It makes no sense to clock a 132k car back 15k miles, but I think some dodgy traders are so into the habit of clocking they just do it anyway.

Quite a few years back now, I traded in a 8 year old, 118k mileage Octavia which had about 6 months MOT on to a main dealer. Not surprisingly given it was worth next to nothing, they moved it on rather than re-marketing it and it appeared at a dodgy looking "under the arches" used dealer not far away with about 112k miles on the clock. This was about 500 miles more than what was recorded at the previous MOT. It had definitely been changed as they included a photo of the odometer in the advert.

I'd also rather pointlessly had the timing belt changed at a service around the time of that MOT, and the garage had written "belt change and waterpump at 112k miles" and the date on the underside of the bonnet with a paint pen.

It can't have made any difference at all to the value of the car taking so few miles off, but the dodgy dealer must have decided it wasn't worth risking winding the clock back further given there would have been two lots of evidence it had been clocked!!

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Andrew-T

<< It makes no sense to clock a 132k car back 15k miles, but I think some dodgy traders are so into the habit of clocking they just do it anyway. Quite a few years back now ... >>

I suppose there must still be some buyers who don't know about checking MoT history online, but that ability must have helped to discourage the habit ?

Vauxhall Insignia - Mileage discrepancy - Warning

It seems really strange, given that mot history is public information.