What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Ace Ahmed

Hello guys,

What kind of requests should I put forward for a vehicle that wouldn't be viewed in person. As it is across the country. I've sent requests for more close up photos of the interior and of the bodywork. As well as video footage for both also. What else should I go about doing as the vehicle won't be viewed until it's paid for and arrived.

Thanks in advance for the any advice and tips.

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Andrew-T

So you won't be having a test drive or a careful examination of this car. Photos may be helpful but often don't reveal very much. You will be at the mercy of someone who probably knows nothing about the vehicle except from its paperwork (may be sketchy) and what is on the odometer. The seller's main interest will be in closing a sale, plus the fact that the buyer is a long way off and won't want to come back for any aftersales.

I hope you have studied the MoT record online - if the car is old enough to have one, of course. All you can do is hope for the best.

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - badbusdriver

Couple of things.

First, customer reviews, what do others think of the dealer/garage you plan to buy from?.

Also, are they willing to take the car back if you find it is not as described?. Of course your expectations need to be inline with the age of car and price you are paying.

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Palcouk

If placing a deposit, you state that it is subject to your inspection, which would be acceptable to any quality dealer

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - RT

Don't do it!

If you can't check the vehicle before purchase, there's an increased risk of finding issues - and you'd likely need to return it to the selling dealer for rectification.

If you really think you're lucky then buy a lottery ticket and spend the winnings on a new car from your local dealer.

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Xileno

Certainly not something I would do and I doubt many on the forum would either. I'm more cautious than most with my cash. Is this car at a dealer? Maybe you could post a link to the car, then some of the eagle-eyed members might spot something amiss such as a paint mismatch or panel misalignment. No substitute for a physical examination but probably all we can offer.

Is this car at a dealer?

The clue is in the thread title ..... :-)

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Xileno

I shall go and hide... :-)

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Heidfirst

Ah, yes, - but is it a Toyota dealer?

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - MGspannerman
Even if it is a Toyota dealer this does necessarily suggest it is a better bet. I am a Toyota enthusiast, gained by experience, and my local dealer is first class and 100% reliable. However I recently updated my wife’s Yaris with a “new” used one from a dealer 40 miles away. It was bought between Covid lockdowns and hence mileage covered was very low. With only 1500 miles since purchase it failed the MOT with advice to immediately replace the rear tyres due to deep cuts in the tread. Apparently this could happen anytime due to road conditions the service manager told me, funnily enough it has never happened previously in ten years of travelling the same roads. Or indeed in 50+ years of motoring. I guess I was unlucky, or perhaps they are lying, cheating bar stewards.

I guess the latter as it was sold with a drivers seat fault that required two trips bs k to the dealer for replacement of the seat frame. This from a large chain of dealerships, I will never go an inch nearer them again and was lucky to es cape their clutches. I particularly enjoyed my discussions with them when they phoned up suggesting they service it for me.

Would I buy a Toyota, or any other car, from a dealer without viewing it - definitely not. Nor would I buy at any distance. These are Toyotas not some rare classic, I strongly advise you keep looking locally.
Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Big John

I think some versions of the Verso auto(probably early versions) had the dreaded MMT automated manual gearbox.

In addition as mentioned above any used car must be seen / thoroughly checked and it's best not to buy from a distance as it's hard to resolve problems.

Edited by Big John on 27/10/2022 at 19:59

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - catsdad

In the OP’s other post he says this is to be a taxi doing 30k a year. In that case buying from a distance is even more of a risk. Any comeback repairs will rely on returning the car to the supplying dealer. This is likely to take time and time is money if you rely on the car for income.

There will also be the issues around buying and using a car as a business if anything does go wrong. I doubt a standard warranty (with all the weaknesses inherent in those) will cover taxi use. Also I don’t know if normal consumer protection provision applies to a car bought as a taxi.

Either way I’d be looking for a close located supplier and would check more carefully into the implications of buying a car for taxi use.

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - alan1302

There will also be the issues around buying and using a car as a business if anything does go wrong. I doubt a standard warranty (with all the weaknesses inherent in those) will cover taxi use. Also I don’t know if normal consumer protection provision applies to a car bought as a taxi.

I expect it's classed as a business purchase so the usual warranty and ability to return it don't apply.

Toyota Verso - Purchasing A vehicle from dealership cross country - Engineer Andy

Hello guys,

What kind of requests should I put forward for a vehicle that wouldn't be viewed in person. As it is across the country. I've sent requests for more close up photos of the interior and of the bodywork. As well as video footage for both also. What else should I go about doing as the vehicle won't be viewed until it's paid for and arrived.

Thanks in advance for the any advice and tips.

As Harry Callahan once said, "do you feel lucky?".

I would never buy a car sight unseen unless it was brand new and had the opportunity (when I went to pick it up and pay the remainder) to back out of the deal at no cost to me other than the trip to pick it up. I would also do so at a dealer who was considered reputable.

My current car was a del miles only purchased from Motorpoint, thus apart from the description and photos, had no physical look at it until I went to their Derby outlet to pick it up (paying off the remainder [I'd put down a £250 deposit via my credit card, so no cost to me until later]).

I thoroughly checked out the car, and there was a discrepancy (no 'faults') - it was described as having a CD player when one wasn't fitted (a Euro RHD import), and thus I got compensation (equivalent to the cost of having one fitted) from them via a reduced final bill, no questions asked.

I personally would not buy an older (over 3yo) second hand car without seeing/test driving it (I'd test driven / looked at essentially identical new cars to mine at local main dealers already as I had been comparing them with rbokers before seeing the car supermarket's price even cheaper).

OP hasn't commented yet ..... ?