What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - John F

A fly in the grease of Peugeot's usually exemplary engineering is the design of their wheel locking bolt and key, apparently known as 'the worst in the business'.

At nearly 3yrs old and 16k miles, time to swap front to rear for even tyre wear. I cannot believe a normal adult can transmit over 70Ftlb (100nM) via the effectively 8" lever of the tiny obtuse angled wrench supplied. Even stamping on it with substantial footwear failed to dislodge the bolts. The locking key with its tiny short circular lugs just jumped out of position. My cheap old 17" torque wrench cum breaker bar was needed to exert the required circa 100Ftlb. But the key lugs failed to locate adequately in one bolt; on inspection its receiving holes were malformed.

So, appointment at local Wellingborough Peugeot garage for a 'complimentary inspection'...had to book in and leave the car for an hour!

Pg - 'not covered under warranty'. JF - 'clearly a defective bolt'. Pg - 'must have been over-tightened'. JF - 'untouched since delivery'. Pg - 'probably at pre-delivery inspection where you bought it - they must sort it'. JF - 'I was told any Pg would do warranty work - not making a 100 mile round trip' Pg - 'must be the wrong bolt fitted'. JF 'unlikely the factory bolt fitting robot has selected the wrong bolt; even if it did, it's still Peugeot's problem if a reasonably competent amateur mechanic cannot remove it with basic equipment.' Pg - 'we'll do it for £57' JF - 'no thanks '.

Then some fruitless and lengthy email exchanges with Peugeot Customer Care of Coventry who persistently endorsed the Pg decision 'wheels and tyres not covered, including this bolt attachment.'

My final reply to PCC of C included the observation that their customer carelessness and stubborn unhelpfulness matched that of my local Pg. I forwarded the email thread to the personal email address of the CEO of Stellantis in the vain hope of apprising someone higher in the food chain of its Peugeot subdivision of their appalling lock bolt design and provincial uselessness. I'd get my local trusty indie to remove it at the imminent MoT and accept the risk of car recovery in the event of a puncture.

Two days later a very well spoken, helpful and apologetic man rang to say I would be soon be hearing from my local Pg! Further appointment offered at 8am. Frosty reception. Settled comfortably with my newspaper and its somewhat demanding crossword by the coffee machine. Was not offered (and did not consume) coffee by any of the many staff who used it. Asked for progress report at 9.25. 'Car still in workshop - we'll take you round there'. Asked to see the offending bolt, now completely knackered as they'd had to weld an old socket or somesuch onto it to get a grip. JF to mechanic..'thanks'. Pg - 'sorry, we can't let you drive it away - it's unsafe with only three bolts' - smirking and licking lips in lascivious expectation of remunerative business (I made that bit up;-). JF - 'it's a trailing wheel and would hold temporarily (and probably permanently for us) with only two opposing bolts, but - no problem..' ....producing a wheelbrace and the last of a set of replacement normal bolts bought at my expense for a tenner on ebay.

Result!!! .... and having torqued up the bolts to a perfectly satisfactory 65-70 ftlb (it's a small runabout, not a rally car) I know I'll be able to change any wheel in the event of a puncture.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Oli rag

One of the first things I do on my cars is to remove the locking wheel nuts and replace with standard nuts, which on my previous 2 cars have been in the glove box inside a bag.

I’ve never trusted locking nuts… or more specifically the tool to remove them, and I doubt my wheels are any more likely to be nicked without them.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Andrew-T

I’ve never trusted locking nuts… or more specifically the tool to remove them, and I doubt my wheels are any more likely to be nicked without them.

A more important consideration is what might be done if a wheel has to be changed at the roadside !

A fly in the grease of Peugeot's usually exemplary engineering is the design of their wheel locking bolt and key, apparently known as 'the worst in the business'.

John, I would think it unlikely that any car manufacturer would go as far as 'designing' any item as peripheral as a locking wheel-bolt, so you should place your blame elsewhere, or minimise it to accusing Peugeot of relying on a poor subcontractor.

Recently I decided that my 207SW was ancient enough for lockers to be superfluous, so I got a tenner on Ebay for my set, replacing them with a plain set costing twenty from the same source. I have never suffered your problem with my key, tho they have occasionally called for a 2-foot tommy bar on my socket wrench after attention from some tyre fitter.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - elekie&a/c doctor
Any car I’ve bought in the last 30 years with locking wheel nuts gets them thrown away if there’s any possibility that they’re previously damaged. I then go around checking all the wheel nut torques and specifically only tighten the lockers up to half the suggested figure.
Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Ethan Edwards

Stubborn over tightened bolts (presumably by Air Tools and or the Tools who use them). That's the reason I own a good socket set and about a six foot length of scaffold pole. With that sort of leverage it presents little difficulties.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Xileno

I suppose all this is another consequence of the litigious age we are in, business terrified of any legal action should a wheel come off. So do it up to the required torque and then some.

First thing I do after getting the car serviced or new tyres fitted is slacken off the bolts (or nuts) and retorque them. The supplied tool in the car is useless, some years ago I invested in a Halfords extendable lever which comes with a 19 and 21mm socket (I think). Anyway whatever size I've not had a car yet it doesn't fit. It's great as you can get decent leverage and I've never failed to remove a wheel yet. The standard Ford tool is not long enough to get much leverage.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - daveyK_UK
Another good reason why I much prefer steel wheels over alloys!

it’s a shame my Ford supplying dealer refuse my offer to swap the alloys which come with the car for a set of steels.
I tried to sell the deal that for doing the work it would be cost beneficial to the dealership, , I get steels they get alloys then can throw on another vehicle.
Simply not interested.
I think it was due to evans halshaw new sales team having nothing to do with and no interest in helping evans Halshaw used sales team.

Most other dealers have always been happy to do the swap when we have purchased new, they can see the benefit of a nice new set of alloys and I get much preferable steels.

It’s never been an issue when selling the car as I always buy a fresh set of manufacturer wheel trims which sets the wheels off when getting it priced as a part ex.

Another good reason why I much prefer steel wheels over alloys! .

Takes all sorts. I prefer alloys for the simple reason they don't start rusting at all the points of high curvature (edges and corners). My gripe with alloys is trying to keep clean some of those with idi0tically complex designs.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - paul 1963

Andrew, the trick is to take them off and give them a thorough clean followed by a couple of layers of a dedicated wheel wax, any brake dust etc then simply washes off with car shampoo during the weekly wash, I use a wheel glove and a 2 inch paint brush to wash mine.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Crickleymal

What is this weekly wash of which you speak?

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Xileno

The amount of rain here in West Wilts the last 24 hours should be enough to not bother washing the car for a while! I was pleased to open the car boot earlier ans see it was dry as a bone, the fix I did a few weeks ago is doing its job. The rubber washer holding the rear light unit in had perished.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Steveieb

I have seen cars from Main dealers in at my indiie in Finedon Road Industrial Estate to have their wheel nuts removed when the keys are lost.

Id have thought they had the knowledge to sort this ?

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - corax
Another good reason why I much prefer steel wheels over alloys! .

Same here. No crouching trying to clean them every five minutes in winter. A quick sponge over a plastic wheel trim and it's done. They are cheap enough to replace if they corrode to a dangerous extent. But the steels on my Avensis never got that bad and they were almost twenty years old. The don't crack if hitting a large unexpected pothole and I never lost much tyre pressure.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - nick62

I suppose all this is another consequence of the litigious age we are in, business terrified of any legal action should a wheel come off. So do it up to the required torque and then some.

The problem with the 'then some', it that it can stretch the threads, which means the chances of them coming loose are much greater.

I've always tightened-up wheel nuts/bolts by 'feel' (and most other fasteners other than big-end bolts) and always make sure the threads have a thin smear of copper grease on them.

Edited by nick62 on 02/11/2022 at 17:11

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - Lee Power

Thats why any sensible owner removes them straight away & replaces them with a decent set like McGards or just standard bolts.

I've removed a few sets of Peugeot locking bolts without the key over the years, with the right tools it doesn't take very long.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - focussed

I have had locking wheel nuts on at least the last six cars of my own in the last 30 years and never had a problem with any of them.

No special treatment or magic lubricant - i just treat them properly, make sure the key is properly engaged, use a proper long lever rather than the standard tool kit wheel wrench so I can push the key hard into the locking nut before putting effort into undoing it and never use a windy gun on the key.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - madf

Our Yaris locking wheel nuts are original, 19 years old and work perfectly/

Ditto our 11 year old Honda Jazz.

The French engineers are not very good: buy Japanese..(mot Nissan as owned by the French - and it shows)

Our Yaris locking wheel nuts are original, 19 years old and work perfectly/

Ditto our 11 year old Honda Jazz.

The French engineers are not very good: buy Japanese..(mot Nissan as owned by the French - and it shows)

Not a lot wrong with french engineering it seems, living in France, but Renault/Dacia locking wheel nuts (actually bolts) are made in Italy - I bought a set for our 2022 Duster, Renault part no, marked made in Italy.

Edited by focussed on 02/11/2022 at 15:04

Not a lot wrong with french engineering it seems, living in France, but Renault/Dacia locking wheel nuts (actually bolts) are made in Italy - I bought a set for our 2022 Duster, Renault part no, marked made in Italy.

I doubt that there is much to choose between French and Italian 'engineering', but there are probably good and poor examples in both countries - and in many others.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - John F

It's not so much the 'engineering', more the unsatisfactory design of the of the four little lugs and the tiny holes into which they must fit perfectly. The slightest manufacturing /casting fault will result in an imperfect seating of the key in onto the bolt. I never had any trouble with our original Ford Focus set of locking bolts - innumerable wheel work during its 21yr life. Pug bolts are apparently renowned as being the most troublesome.

Anyway, 'French engineering' has a proud history - I've just been admiring Messrs de Dion and Bouton (a sort of double act precursor to Rolls and Royce) plus M. Delahaye's creations in Malaga's wonderful Automovolistico museum.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - alan1302

Nissan are not owned by Renault - that's a common misconception.

The tie-up between Renault Nissan and Mitsubishi is called the Renault- Nissan- Mitsubishi alliance.

Nissan control Mitsubishi.

Renault currently has a 43.4% voting stake in Nissan and Nissan holds a 15% non-voting stake in Renault effectively giving Renault control.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - alan1302

The tie-up between Renault Nissan and Mitsubishi is called the Renault- Nissan- Mitsubishi alliance.

Renault currently has a 43.4% voting stake in Nissan and Nissan holds a 15% non-voting stake in Renault effectively giving Renault control.

Have learnt something new today - always thought it was an actual alliance...have read up about them today and can see it's a very lopsided alliance in Renaults favour.

Peugeot 2008 - - the saga of the u/s locking bolt - RT

Have learnt something new today - always thought it was an actual alliance...have read up about them today and can see it's a very lopsided alliance in Renaults favour.

Most alliances have cross-holdings to cement their alliance