What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - badbusdriver

When the MG5 came along, it really rocked the EV establishment in terms of bang per buck. But it looked a bit odd, like they couldn't decide whether to make a hatchback or estate, so instead settled on something which looked like a hatchback with an abbreviated estate rear grafted on. But it certainly was cheap, and for folk looking for a usable family EV, who were not overly concerned with looks or driving dynamics, it was a winner.

Now they are bringing us the MG4, slightly smaller, more distinctive in appearance, and crucially, even cheaper. Prices start just under £26k for the smaller battery model (around £2k cheaper than the MG5) with a WLTP range of 218 miles. An extra £2.5k gets you the bigger battery with a 281 mile range and still comes out nearly £800 less than the cheapest Corsa-e!.

What Car certainly seem to like it, bar some iffy interior materials and touch screen controls. This is the YT video review;

watch

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - bazza

There are loads of MGs on the roads now, interested to see whether they crack the ev market. I was talking to a Dacia salesman a couple of weeks ago while looking at the Jogger and he said that they were hoping to bring a small ev to the UK market for £15 k , whether that happens or not is anyone's guess. I did like the Jogger though, fairly unbeatable value wise. Not sure about that Renault 1 litre 3 pot though.

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - elekie&a/c doctor
I was in London last weekend, and noticed that the MG5 is very popular with the Uber drivers . Trying to catch up with those Prius models .
MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - _

It is there in my review of my MGZS 2017 that i was disappointed, but mine was an early one, and apart from the 1.0 autos there is much less criticism nowadays, The HS was a big step up. I liked the 5 a bit, but not enough to get one. There are several of the cars that won't be coming to the UK that I could like, such as the MG Rxh..

I was talking to a Dacia salesman a couple of weeks ago while looking at the Jogger and he said that they were hoping to bring a small ev to the UK market for £15 k , whether that happens or not is anyone's guess.

Yes, the Spring. Different kettle of fish altogether though, being sub supermini sized. It is based on a platform which has been on the go since around 2015 (with petrol engine) as the Renault Kwid (also badged as a Datsun, believe it or not!).

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - alan1302

I was talking to a Dacia salesman a couple of weeks ago while looking at the Jogger and he said that they were hoping to bring a small ev to the UK market for £15 k , whether that happens or not is anyone's guess.

Yes, the Spring. Different kettle of fish altogether though, being sub supermini sized. It is based on a platform which has been on the go since around 2015 (with petrol engine) as the Renault Kwid (also badged as a Datsun, believe it or not!).

Dacia Spring EV unlikely to arrive in UK before 2024 | Autocar

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - dan86

There are loads of MGs on the roads now, interested to see whether they crack the ev market. I was talking to a Dacia salesman a couple of weeks ago while looking at the Jogger and he said that they were hoping to bring a small ev to the UK market for £15 k , whether that happens or not is anyone's guess. I did like the Jogger though, fairly unbeatable value wise. Not sure about that Renault 1 litre 3 pot though.

The jogger is a fantastic car for the money, I bought one because I needed a bigger car that was ulez compliant. It's seats are fairly comfortable I drove from Blackpool to London non stop and felt fine at the end of the drive. It's really good on fuel 48mpg around town and up to 60 mpg on a run using E5 super unleaded. The engine isn't the most powerful but it does the job of keeping up with traffic and keeping pace on the motorway. I use E5 because I'm finding in getting on average 7mpg more over a thankful over E10. It takes 7 in relative comfort and the boot is huge.

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - Heidfirst

apparently MG are about to shake up their dealer network, doing away with many of the smaller dealers as they become more popular & their model range grows.

apparently MG are about to shake up their dealer network, doing away with many of the smaller dealers as they become more popular & their model range grows.

They have been doing that for nearly 2 years.

The truly excellent Kerridges are long gone.

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - Ethan Edwards

It's a difficult decision. On the one hand there are inherent risks buying a Chinese MG. Should sanctions be imposed re Tiawan etc or the Corsa which although it carries the Vauxhall brand is built in France. So the EU might go off in a huff. That said...MG vs Corsa not an easy choice. Personally I'd favour the Corsa despite the shorter range, as I prefer the styling. But what Ev buyers rarely consider is the charging network. Yes its a given you must have a home charger but be aware Tesla chargers are the gold standard. Plentiful rarely out of service. The rest of us mere mortals can only look on and hope that the situation massively improves to catch up. Tesla isn't just about the car it's the whole ecosystem. He's thought out the ownership experience and is years ahead of the rest. That's my opinion. I sold my ICE cars and went EV only, almost exactly one year ago. Has been no problem whatsoever. Just requires a tiny bit more forward planning.

MG vs Corsa not an easy choice. Personally I'd favour the Corsa despite the shorter range, as I prefer the styling.

Not sure I'd agree with that. The standard battery version of the MG4 has a longer range and is over £3k cheaper than the cheapest Corsa-e. On top of that, it is a bigger and more spacious car with a longer warranty.

Unless you really don't like the MG's looks, it seems a very easy choice to me!.

Like I said I prefer the Corsa styling. And I'd be concerned about spares availability re possible sanctions. But wouldn't it be dull if we all liked the same thing. Having already made my decision with a Mokka-e the only thing I'd be looking to replace it would be a Tesla m3. But that's several years away.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 29/08/2022 at 15:34

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - galileo

Like I said I prefer the Corsa styling. And I'd be concerned about spares availability re possible sanctions. But wouldn't it be dull if we all liked the same thing. Having already made my decision with a Mokka-e the only thing I'd be looking to replace it would be a Tesla m3. But that's several years away.

Regarding spares and possible sanctions, I recently watched an "Inside the factory" documentary about London's new full electric buses are fitted with bodywork, seats etc in Scarborough.

Complete drivable chassis are delivered there from China, which shows either great confidence or great naivety and trust in luck by those responsible for the arrangement.

I remember when we used to build buses here, which shows my age.

Could be that the decision to source Chassis from China was taken by a bean counter. They were five pence per chassis cheaper than sourcing from closer to home. Yep bean counters really are that short sighted.

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - alan1302

Could be that the decision to source Chassis from China was taken by a bean counter. They were five pence per chassis cheaper than sourcing from closer to home. Yep bean counters really are that short sighted.

Very few people will pay more for something that can get elsewhere cheaper.

Edited by alan1302 on 29/08/2022 at 23:26

MG sets benchmark on affordable family EV (again) - mcb100
The chassis come from BYD, who are the world’s largest manufacturer of electric vehicles, and who, incidentally, are bringing a range of electric cars to Europe, some of which will make it to the UK.
The incidental snippet I did find interesting from the shouty man in a bus factory programme is that the black band, and dots, around the edge of a windscreen is known as a ‘frit’, and amongst other purposes it prevents the adhesive holding the ‘screen in from overheating and breaking down from EV exposure.
www.autoglaze.co.uk/ever-wondered-what-the-little-.../
The incidental snippet I did find interesting from the shouty man in a bus factory programme is that the black band, and dots, around the edge of a windscreen is known as a ‘frit’, and amongst other purposes it prevents the adhesive holding the ‘screen in from overheating and breaking down from EV exposure. www.autoglaze.co.uk/ever-wondered-what-the-little-.../

I hope you meant UV exposure...

‘I hope you meant UV exposure’
I did indeed. I type EV so many times my spellcheck automatically assumes I’m talking about electric vehicles again….