What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric costs - FoxyJukebox
Just wondering whether these huge increases in electricity will have an effect on whether people will buy EVs. and for those already running one-is it still the cheapest option.?
For me the key reason to buy is because petrol cars won’t be manufactured much longer.
Electric costs - badbusdriver
Just wondering whether these huge increases in electricity will have an effect on whether people will buy EVs. and for those already running one-is it still the cheapest option.? For me the key reason to buy is because petrol cars won’t be manufactured much longer.

ICE cars will continue to be manufactured for many years yet because there are plenty of countries who are not going to ban the sales of new ICE cars from 2030. Even in this country, a well chosen (i.e, long lasting and reliable) ICE car bought new now could easily provide service till 2040.

Electric costs - daveyjp

With businesses now being offered fixed rates of £1 per kWh, plus standing charge and Government levies, unless there are significant subsidies charging away from home will be for emergency only.

Electric costs - mcb100
At the new capped rate of 51.8kWh for electricity, a Renault Megane E-Tech (based on official figures) will still do 280 miles for £31.08. Many EV owners are on a cheap overnight tariff.
A 45mpg diesel at 170p per litre will cost £48.
I’d expect public charging prices to hit parity with ICE, but the vast majority of charging is done at home or work.

Edited by mcb100 on 27/08/2022 at 19:42

Electric costs - Chris M

"Many EV owners are on a cheap overnight tariff."

Indeed. And only pay 5% VAT. As we all know, ICE owners pay somewhat more tax!

Electric costs - Ethan Edwards

Yep five hours of power at 4.5p per kw. Though if you have solar pv and some other gubbins you can get your car charged for free. I feel your pain.

Electric costs - pd

I don't think it'll have a huge effect but clearly some owners wil see a big jump. It all depends how they charge.

The 51.8p kWh is just a staging post - 80p by end of year is pretty much baked in at the moment and £1 quite likely. I can see public chargers hitting £2/kWh.

But, if you charge at home on a good tariff overnight you won't be paying that. Anyone who relies on public chargers might get a shock however.

The other tax advantages for EV and the low depreciation won't change.

Electric costs - Chris M

"The other tax advantages for EV and the low depreciation won't change."

I think in the medium to long term the tax advantages will have to change as the yield from ICE declines. Whether that be road charging or something else, I don't know. Increasing RFL would be straightforward to implement, if a little blunt.

Edited by Chris M on 28/08/2022 at 11:40

Electric costs - Terry W

It is inevitable that the government will seek to replace duty lost on fuel sales as EV is adopted. I would expect any changes to be fully implemented by the 2030 transition date - and possibly a few years before then for new vehicles.

RFL may be increased but I suspect that charging on the basis of usage/mileage would be perceived as "fairest".

If a tax goes on to road pricing it may be easier to tax remaining ICE and EV on a similar basis. Fuel duties paid on ICE may remain as an incentive to switch.

The cost of electric currently varies significantly depending on how it is sourced

- PVs on the roof being cheapest,

- domestic grid variable depending on contract (night time rates etc)

- charging networks most expensive as operators need to cover overheads and profit

Differentiating domestic power use would be difficult to implement fairly due to PV generation for some and separating out EV charging from normal domestic use.