What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - Leighton Phillips

EML came on - took to garage to do a diagnostics and they confirmed that there is poor compression in the 3rd brake cylinder. They suspect it is an exhaust valve issue and the engine would need to be stripped out to confirm.

They have estimated that the work could amount to around £1k with the other cylinders being replaced, a new water pump and a timing belt.

With the MOT due to expire on 16/09, I am thinking of changing the car. Comments/advice welcome on the following matters:

1. Will it fail the MOT? Garage would not give me a straight answer.

2. I am continuing to drive the car - the light goes off for a time and then returns- the garage said it was safe but there would be a risk of damage to the car over time.

3. Part exchange v independent car evaluation (e.g. WeBuyAnyCar). There is a horizantal crack on the plastic bodywork just under the boot (driver went into the back of my car and drove off!) and a small dent on the front door by the handle on the driver' side. Otherwise the car is in very good condition. Only 36k miles on the clock.

Will be working from home for about 75% of the time so won't be doing the daily 30 mile return trip that I used to do pre-COVID so was even thinking of downgrading the car slightly.

Any thoughts on the cost of repairs and the intention to get rid of the car?

Cheers.

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - elekie&a/c doctor
These 1.25 engines are generally very robust, and it would be unusual to burn a valve out at 36k miles . The quote to do all that work looks about right . The eml light on would be an mot failure. I’m a little concerned that if it was low on compression on one cylinder, then the engine would be running poorly. Is this the case ? Perhaps take it to another garage for a second opinion. With such low miles, it’s probably worth repairing.
Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - Leighton Phillips

Thanks for the reply.

The car drives fine on the motorway. It is the shorter, stop-start journeys that the car is not at its best. According to the garage this is representative of a cylinder compression problem.

The readings were cylinder 1 , 2 and 4 - 180; cylinder 3 - 70. The fault code is P303.

I have already spent a bit of money on the car despite its low mileage and that's why I am inclined to get rid. In my mind, the time and effort getting to the problem, then resolving it plus anything else the MOT might throw up is a financial aggravation. I have been driving for 30 years and I think this car is one of the few Ford duds to come out of the factory.

Any views on the part-exchange/independent evaluation side of things?%

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - elekie&a/c doctor
P 0303 is the cylinder 3 misfire. 70psi is definitely too low. Has the garage done a “wet” compression test , just in case it’s not a valve problem? That would change the extent of the repair considerably. These Fiesta models with the 1.25 engine are more desirable than the 1.0 ecoboost variety .

No mention of a wet compression test, just that when they started the engine they immediately suspected a low compression issue, which they confirmed with those readings.

They didn't want to touch the car - staff shortages due to holiday period etc - and suggested I shopped around.

I have seen references to the wet compression test elsewhere. What would that resolve/help identify and how would it change the level of the repairs?

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - Crickleymal

As I understand it, a wet compression test is where you squirt some oil into the cylinders before testing. This helps to seal any gap between the piston rings and the cylinder. Thus allowing you to find out if it's the rings that are the problem or the valves. Obviously if it's the rings then much more dismantling is needed.

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - Big John

I have seen references to the wet compression test elsewhere. What would that resolve/help identify and how would it change the level of the repairs?

From back in my day of breaking things you compared compression readings dry and with a little oil poured into the plug holes. This will always improve compressions a bit - but if it temporarily brings the offending substantially up then it shows a bore/piston/rings issue. If it doesn't then it's probably a valve issue. If it's the former then it's a big engine out job/rebuild. It it's the latter valve issue then it's an easier repair.

I can now recall when I went back to the garage there was mention of squirting oil in there as a further test. They seemed content with the diagnosis of an exhaust valve issue. Is that fair and, on the balance of probabilities, likely to be the fault?

A second opinion would seem merited but I have had enough of spending money on a car that has a low mileage. A friend of mine said that I should contact the Ford dealer as a cylinder issue in a car with below-average mileage shouldn't really occur. I couldn't seem them helping me much from a repair/compensatory perspective....

If a wet test has confirmed their results, then very likely to be a valve issue. Help from Ford ? I would think no chance .
Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - Andrew-T

I have had enough of spending money on a car that has a low mileage. A friend of mine said that I should contact the Ford dealer ...

I see where you are coming from, but as help from Ford is unlikely, spending on a low-mileage car seems better than on a high-mileage one ?

I didn't explain myself properly previously. They said that there was that other test they could do but they hadn't done it. The garage didn't have the short-term resources/manpower to do the follow-up work so they initially encouraged me to 'shop around.'

I accept the general philosophy of spending money on a low-mileage car rather than a high mileage one, but in 31 years of driving I have never spent £1k+ on a car in one go. It has also been one problem after another. It might not be that but the garage has a wealth of experience and is renowned for getting things right!

I am still inclined to move it on in anticipation of further problems which would antagonise me further.

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - Andrew-T

I am still inclined to move it on in anticipation of further problems which would antagonise me further.

Nearly every car has problems from time to time, so while spending a grand on your engine will be painful, cutting your losses may just bring a different set of snags ? And changing one car for another usually involves parting with a notional grand anyway !

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - bathtub tom

Do cars still suffer from 'sticky' valves? The cure used to be to dump some Redex down the carb, although I suppose that wouldn't do the cat much good. A wet compression test could have a similar effect.

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - galileo

Do cars still suffer from 'sticky' valves? The cure used to be to dump some Redex down the carb, although I suppose that wouldn't do the cat much good. A wet compression test could have a similar effect.

Is this port or direct fuel injection?

Ford Fiesta 2016 1.25L - Suspected exhaust valve issue - advice on actions - focussed

Supposed to be multipoint port injection.

Has anybody thought to check valve clearances assuming its not got hydraulic lifters?