What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Polo 1.0 with the DSG box - bazza

Yesterday I had a few miles in a Polo TSI 1.0 with the DSG box, a fairly new example. I thought it was a Golf at first, it felt almost as big as our Focus and from memory as big or bigger than our Mk 2 Golf. Anyway, I was astonished at the performance, smoothness and general competence of the car and I can see why people still flock to the VW badge, everything just so inside giving an air of thoroughness and thoughtful design. I've never driven a DCT box before and habitually always drive manuals because that's what I'm used to. Mixed feelings on the box, on the one hand fantastically smooth and impressive most of the time, but a very noticeable lag when accelerating off roundabouts etc, and when calling for an instant response. This lag was quite off-putting at first but would probably improve with experience, but I would still probably choose a manual box over it, not forgetting the reliability concerns after a couple of years. Reading the forums, it seems to be a common gripe. Overall, it seems a fine car, and made our 10 year old Civic and 12 year old Focus distinctly old hat!

Polo 1.0 with the DSG box - badbusdriver

The Polo is certainly not the biggest supermini, in fact it isn't even the biggest one within VAG!. I have a bit of a problem with the ever increasing size of them, they are supposed to be small cars. If a Polo isn't big enough for your needs, buy a Golf, don't make the Polo bigger. This 'problem' is exacerbated by the fact that cars from the city car class are dying out.

Never driven a current Polo, but I'm not a fan of its looks, too many creases, and too fussy as a result.

As for the lag, I can't see that improving unless the gearbox 'learns'. Your driving may adapt to it, but it is always going to be a bit of a gamble trying to pull out on to a busy road. I am surprised about the lag, we have a Suzuki Ignis with a single clutch automated manual, and while the gearbox is pretty rubbish in general, it does pull away smartly.

I'd prefer to try one myself, ideally over a good distance before ruling it out completely, but going purely by what I have read on owners reviews and the motoring press compared by my own experience with a Honda Jazz for 3 years, I'd far sooner have a stepped CVT than a DCT.

Polo 1.0 with the DSG box - Adampr

You may have had something called 'auto hold' engaged. It basically puts it in neutral with the handbrake on everyone you stop. Apparently, it's to save you the effort of putting your foot on the brake. Unfortunately, it takes forever to disengage and, once it has done that and the DSG has worked it's magic, you tend to suddenly lurch forward about a second after you.put your foot down. You don't get used to it; I had to take my golf back after 18 months as I just couldn't bear it any longer.

Polo 1.0 with the DSG box - sammy1

You may have had something called 'auto hold' engaged. It basically puts it in neutral with the handbrake on everyone you stop. Apparently, it's to save you the effort of putting your foot on the brake. Unfortunately, it takes forever to disengage and, once it has done that and the DSG has worked it's magic, you tend to suddenly lurch forward about a second after you.put your foot down. You don't get used to it; I had to take my golf back after 18 months as I just couldn't bear it any longer.

My understanding is that you have to engage auto hold otherwise it is always off. If engaged it should automatically release as you move off.. If it delays coming off there must be something wrong with it and not the DSG.

Polo 1.0 with the DSG box - Adampr

Yes, it's part of the electronic handbrake, not the DSG. You can have it on or off, with a switch behind the handbrake. You have to prod the accelerator to switch it off, then start to pull away. If you just put your foot down like a normal car, the revs build too much before it's stopped messing around and it lurches. I suppose the key is to never switch it on. Like 'lane keep assist' I can only presume it scores some kind of safety points, because it's otherwise pointless.

Polo 1.0 with the DSG box - Manatee

If you think about it, with a "normal" car you have to let the clutch in as well as pressing the accelerator. The DCT also has to work the cljutch, When the brake is on the clutch (single dry plate in the Polo box) is fully disengaged. A small increase in rpm (or just releasing the footbrake brake if HH hasn't set) will allow it to come to the biting point. More accelerator and off it goes. Just banging the accelerator down is very unsympathetic, mechanically.

Even a TC auto will try to give you whiplash if you just plant the accelerator.

Our Roomster has HH but a manual parking brake. HH only sets when on a slope. I tend to use the parking brake anyway, releasing the lever gradually as the clutch bites. HH just interferes with this and is a damn nuisance, and unfortunately it's impossible to know when it's decided it's needed. Fortunately we don't have many hills.

Having said all that I think DCT's are a fudge. Vast development and tweaking of the electronic control has gone into trying to make them feel like a proper auto, but they can't fully mimic 'creep' without overheating the clutches, so it's never quite right. The wet multiplate clutch ones get a lot nearer than the dry clutch, DQ200, gearbox as fitted to lower powered cars.

You really have to drive one yourself to 'get' it, and even then some people never do.