What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - Gibbo_Wirral

Not quite sure how well those spokes would cope with the potholes on the UK's roads!

Or my back when I hit one for that matter!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61644033

Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - badbusdriver

Not quite sure how well those spokes would cope with the potholes on the UK's roads!

Or my back when I hit one for that matter!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61644033

The deformation at the bottom of the tyre on the 2nd picture suggests that the only difference would be the lack of a puncture. It certainly doesn't look unduly rigid for ride comfort concerns.

My worry would be debris getting in amongst the supports, but I'd assume some kind of covering for the sides on production versions, these prototype tyres are probably open on the sides just to show the structure?.

Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - RichT54

Criminals would love this as a way of foiling police stinger devices.

Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - Graham567

This product pops up every few years to great fanfare and then we never see it again until the next time it pops up.So I'm not holding my breath waiting for this to be common place.

Edited by Graham567 on 14/06/2022 at 19:18

Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - Bolt

This product pops up every few years to great fanfare and then we never see it again until the next time it pops up.So I'm not holding my breath waiting for this to be common place.

They are for sale in USA MICHELIN® Tweel® Family of Products (michelinman.com) not sure about cars though not looked

Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - edlithgow

They are for sale in USA MICHELIN® Tweel® Family of Products (michelinman.com) not sure about cars though not looked

I dunno how much lawnmower tyres normally cost, but $700-ish seems quite a lot. One would guess about $1000 for a car tyre then?

If those are the future, then I'd expect remoulds to make a big comeback.

I believe foam-filled tyres are available for bicycles, and I would be interested in those since the fashionable rim and tyre designs are getting stupider and more fragile here in Taiwan.

I believe foam-filled tyres are available for bicycles, and I would be interested in those since the fashionable rim and tyre designs are getting stupider and more fragile here in Taiwan.

Just buy a bigger and/or more puncture resistant tyre. The only restriction to the size is that there is enough frame and fork clearance for your choice of tyre.

Just buy a bigger and/or more puncture resistant tyre. The only restriction to the size is that there is enough frame and fork clearance for your choice of tyre.

Dunno, those trendy deep rimmed things, (which also make it very difficult to retrieve a spoke nipple) always seem to carry very narrow and fragile tyres.

Any of that type of bike that I've looked at, and has been worked on by Taiwanese bike repair guys (which will be all of them, because there is no DIY) has the wrong circumference inner tube in it, doubled over.

did actually BUY the right size for the last one I did (which was surprizingly difficult, since they don't expect to sell you inner tubes so are baffled by the concept) but it didn't last long.

Somewhere (presumably internyet, but I don't remember. If anyone has the source let me know) I've seen a description of a bike tyre substitute in use in Germany in the immediate post war, The Third Man stylee period.

This involved a lot of rubber disks (either derived from old bike or old car tyres, Can't remember which) strung on a circumferential wire, making up a semi-solid tyre. Nothing new under the sun.

That'd be a lot of work if you didn't HAVE to do it, but it would be interesting to see how bad it was.

Maybe something involving bits of rubber hose could be implemented quicker.

Could flat tyres soon be a thing of the past? - Alby Back
Old mountain biking hack.
By the nature of the terrain, punctures and cut tyres are not unusual. Most carry a basic repair kit with them but some more severe damage, like a slashed sidewall, are not easily fixable on the trails.
Often you can be several miles from civilisation too.
One trick is to pack the damaged tyre with grass or leaves. It can be enough to make the bike rideable for a short while at low speeds.
Old mountain biking hack. By the nature of the terrain, punctures and cut tyres are not unusual. Most carry a basic repair kit with them but some more severe damage, like a slashed sidewall, are not easily fixable on the trails. Often you can be several miles from civilisation too. One trick is to pack the damaged tyre with grass or leaves. It can be enough to make the bike rideable for a short while at low speeds.

Coastal touring you could use Bladder-Wrack, a natural pneumatic filling.

Bit salty though

Eisenreifen. WW1

miro.medium.com/max/1064/1*-xDcMzWH-n9LY482sQDM4A.png

Couple of points, re my earlier comment.

You could buy a more suitable (for your needs) rim as well as a stronger tyre.

As for the tubes, surely you can buy the correct size online if bike shops don't stock them?

You do get tubeless tyres for bikes, presumably these could be 'fixed' by the squirty foam in the same manner as car tyres?.

Finally, I thought the fad bicycles (re tyres) these days was the 'fat' tyres?. Most suitable for snow or sand, which is presumably what they were designed for, but probably good on heavily potholed road surfaces. Of course you can't fit them to any frame/fork not designed to accommodate them!.

tw.forumosa.com/t/wack-things-in-taiwan-2021/20085...9

See replies to this post.

Later on I catch a lot of flak for not speaking Chinese/Hakka. Mea culpa

Edited by edlithgow on 16/06/2022 at 01:10