What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - _

www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jun/12/digital-deal...a

What does the panel think?

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - Adampr

I think quite a few people will have given it a go as a means of avoiding the abject misery of going to a dealer. I suspect found out it was still a massive faff and probably just got a load of phone calls trying to sell them gap cover instead of having to sit in a chair listening. Then the car turns up and they wish they test drove it beforehand and decide online isn't for them.

Maybe, just maybe, physical dealerships have learned to offer actual service??

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - daveyjp

The Leeds Cazoo depot is in what was previously the Infiniti dealership.

Its to close soon. Considering the amount of money Cazoo, Cinch etc have pumped into adverts and sponsorship of events its no surprise they are struggling as car buying will be going down list of wants as inflation bites.

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - Falkirk Bairn

A local glass palace was built to house a VW dealer. The dealer name changed but the VW outlet closed even with a new operator.

Along came Honda - moved from a modern, but small outlet, to the large glass palace, huge workshops and massive forecourt. This was just at the time when Honda were cutting their range of models and seeing their new car sales plummet. Lasted about 5 years then Honda closed.

Lay empty for a good few years.

Imperial cars, 2nd hand chain, were next and last 2 years or so.

Cazoo took over about 12/18 months ago ................ will it go the same way as VW & Honda?

We just to sit back and wait to see.

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - dan86

Having looked online at cazoo and cintch etc I just wouldn't want to buy a car sight unseen regardless of the 14 day money back guarantee they offer etc, even if buying from a main dealer I like to inspect the car thoroughly and take it for a good test drive to get s good feel of the car.

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - Terry W

The key point I take from the article is:

Compared with physical sellers, online dealers need many more potential buyers to make the same number of sales. The proportion of visitors converted into buyers online is thought to be about 1%, compared with 30% for physical dealers.

Not sure whether this demonstrates that (a) folk prefer a test drive and to see it in the metal, or (b) car salesmen are actually more effective in clinching deals tan they are given credit for.

Perhaps a bit of both. New and nearly new cars with warranty etc may be very different to second hand. On the Cazoo site 6000 cars of the 7500 total for sale are 2019 or earlier registration.

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - Xileno

The local Ford main dealer near me where I bought my Focus made a massive expansion of their showroom about three years ago. I wonder if they are now licking their wounds. Just unfortunate timing - no-one could predict Covid or Ukraine.

From The Guardian - Digital Car dealers - Chris79

In the last two years I have bought / leased 3 cars. The lease car via work was done completely on my iPad and was a far more pleasant experience than visiting a dealer. I never saw the car (brand new) until it was delivered and have had no regrets.

The second car was purchased from a main dealer but being in the height of covid was done entirely online and the first time we saw the car was on collection day. Saying no to gap etc was much easier on the phone/ via email where the hard sale is more difficult.

The last car was bought from a small family run firm in Needham Market and was done entirely face to face. This again was a pleasant experience as there was no hard sell.

if dealers actually concentrate on people rather than chasing KPIs and targets they’d probably do alright.