What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - maz64

Hi - this is on a Mazda2, just bought from Cazoo, 2015 90ps manual 44k miles 1 owner FSH and apparently in pretty good nick...

...apart from when I pull away forwards from my parking space, which is on a significant incline. I haven't done this too many times yet, but most of the times I have, there's a brief but significant judder before the clutch fully engages. I haven't experienced it when pulling away at other times albeit on relatively flat road.

Don't really want to return it - it's a nice car, I spent ages searching, and I'm happy to live with it if it's more of a feature than a problem. Might even be my driving style.

My previous car was a 2010 Mazda3 with the 1.6, which gave it a leisurely 0-60 of over 12s (although it was great to drive) compared to the sub-10 of the 2. It needed some revs to pull away up the hill, and I did think I felt a bit of judder in that. But nothing like as obvious. (It's not an about-to-stall judder.)

(Also posted on the MoneySavingExpert motoring forum so apologies if anyone is experiencing deja vu.)

Should have googled first - this was at the top of the list, quite helpful:

rustyautos.com/clutch-judder-when-cold/

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - Xileno

Been discussed quite a lot on the forums.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/161497/mazda-3---m...2

Ha - so it has; thanks, and apologies.

I'm going to hope it's just condensation then...

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - Xileno

My old Focus (2007) judders a bit when cold but not every time so I think temperature and condensation are the cause. It didn't do this until about five years ago, my theory is that when a clutch is new and has plenty of material on it then it is more tolerant to contamination. Otherwise it works perfectly, so I just drag the clutch a bit for the first few applications of the day, I can anticipate when the judder is about to start and take evasive action.

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - Andrew-T

I'm going to hope it's just condensation then...

Why would a clutch attract condensation, and where from ? And if it does, would it not be a common phenomenon in other models ?

Why would a clutch attract condensation

To quote from the link I gave above:

Condensation

Moisture build-up on the clutch assembly is a common problem. The warm engine and the cold night air will cause moisture to gather on the clutch assembly overnight.

From the posts that Xileno referred to, I guess it might be?

Edited by OldMaz on 01/05/2022 at 15:24

... I guess it might be?

...a common problem in other models.

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - badbusdriver

I believe various Kia and Hyundai models with a manual gearbox can suffer from a juddering clutch.

We have a Suzuki Ignis with an automated manual gearbox. When first started, it will often judder when pulling away. Doesn't happen when warm though.

As this is only happening when you start off up a steep hill, I'm wondering if it is feasible to simply park facing the other way and set off downhill?.

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - bazza

When the weather is damp and cold, my Civic does the same and always has done, it goes away after a half mile. My previous Octavia also did and various other cars too. I think it is something to do with surface condensation, possibly some small amount of oil in the bell housing but it's nothing to worry about if it goes away. If it doesn't it's probably a worn clutth plate or oil contamination .

if it is feasible to simply park facing the other way and set off downhill

It would be if it wasn't for the kerb and hedge I'd have to drive over/through :)

Edited by OldMaz on 01/05/2022 at 16:39

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - John F

Only you can decide whether it is annoying enough to do something about it, as it's not a problem that actually needs fixing to avoid future expensive damage. My TR7's clutch has juddered with varying degrees of severity for nigh on forty years. I think it is because it has always had a slight gearbox leak of ATF, which, again, is not a problem that actually needs fixing. From time to time the impregnated cardboard under the car helps to fire up the woodburner. Occasional 'old lady hill starts' - red-line revs, mistaken gear (3rd) and very slow engagement - might help.

My TR7's clutch has juddered

Funny you should mention that - a TR7 drove past me the other day; highlight of last week :) You weren't in Chippenham were you? You don't see that many around.

Edited by OldMaz on 01/05/2022 at 16:56

Mazda 2 - clutch judder - return car? - John F

Funny you should mention that - a TR7 drove past me the other day; highlight of last week :) You weren't in Chippenham were you? You don't see that many around.

Not I. But out in it for a sunny picnic yesterday near pretty Medbourne where we chanced upon a meet of the extremely exclusive (max 30 cars, paying £600+ a couple for DB&B at Sywell airport!!) Spitfire Scramble rally.....one or two there amongst some prewar exoticars.

Well I think I've fixed it. Chap I sit next to at work (in the office - we don't co-habit) used to race motorbikes and is pretty mechanically minded. He suggested just slipping the clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear to smooth off any uneven wear that might be causing the judder.

And that seems to have done the trick. It's still booked into the Cazoo service centre though, as I've discovered that the speaker in the driver's door keeps cutting out, and the driver's door (electric) mirror is loose and unaffected by its controls.

I say it's booked in - for this Thursday, which is the first of the jubilee bank holidays. I double checked that this was correct, and they assured me it was; means the drive into Bristol for 8.30am should be a lot easier than normal :)