What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - Zippy123

www.theguardian.com/money/2022/apr/20/skodas-refus...s

I have had my fair share of warranty claims in the past and I have never come across this before - effectively, if the warranty is coming to the end of its life and you can't get the car in to the dealer on time (the dealer is fully booked) then tough - you're not covered.

I have had issues with cars in the weeks before the warranty expired and couldn't get the cars in before the warranty was up and never had an issue with a warranty claim - with dealers acknowledging the fault existed before the warranty expired.

The only car I had expensive problems with was with a VW Touran when the ABS Pump failed about a month after the warranty expired and the car had only done 15k miles. VW refused a contribution and the local independent was horrified as it was apparently a common fault and said when he worked for them it would have been fixed without any hassle.

It's a shame that the VW group's reputation for customer services is disappearing when the likes of Toyota are offering up to 10 years, Kia 7 years and Hyundai 5 years (unlimited mileage) warranties.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - daveyK_UK
Good consumer advice, don’t buy a Skoda
Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - madf

It's VAG: I refuse to touch their products after (and before) dieselgate.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - sammy1

You simply cannot poopoo a manufacturer on a couple of warranty claims. There is absolutely no problem with the quality of VAG cars and for that matter any other make.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - Big John

I'm afraid I can't comment on how Skoda respond to warranty work as in the 5 years of warranty my 2014 Superb (petrol) didn't have a single fault.

I used the main dealers for servicing in the first 6 years of ownership which was reasonably priced considering it was a franchise dealer - so no complaints from me.

Edited by Big John on 20/04/2022 at 20:15

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - alan1302

There is absolutely no problem with the quality of VAG cars and for that matter any other make.

A very bold and sweeping statement!

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - Engineer Andy

There is absolutely no problem with the quality of VAG cars and for that matter any other make.

A very bold and sweeping statement!

The problem is that many people often go by their own personal experience - "I've owned X cars of Y make for decades and never had a problem or they fixed it for free outside warranty with no quibbles, etc, etc" or the opposite because of a bad experience.

When you read between the lines for the reliability scores car makes get, there's actually not as much of a difference between top and bottom (admittedly some specific models/sub-models are).

I suspect most of the problems relate to a combination of the level of customer care from the local main dealer (which can vary quite a bit from one to another and even between one mechanic / front-of-house person and another), which does vary more from make to make and area to area. Given many are now owned by multi-make franchises, it will often depend on the quality of its management as much as the customer care from head office of the manufacturer in question.

I've often heard some very encouraging accounts about Skoda customer service at dealership level as well as a few bad ones. Of the VAG brands, they seem to have (reading reviews and accounts here and elsewhere) the better customer service experience, with VW second and SEAT last of the three 'main' brands.

The best thing for owners / potential owners is to check via owners' forums which dealerships within their reach are good and bad which can inform ownership decisions.

A good dealership (similarly for indies when the car is out of warranty by a few years) can make the whole experience far better, as can being a responsible driver/owner. With VAGs, problems such as the DSG boxes are yes, inherrant, but if you buy one and only use it as intended, even the 'bad' boxes don't give problems for the most part. The same with Mazda diesels.

The problem often comes when buying second hand, as the new owner has no idea what the previous one(s) did as regards driving pattern or style. As I've said on another thread, many owners will offload a car they know to be on the way out, which means an uniformed or gullible new owner will be very disappointed in a short space of time.

My motto is always do your homework when buying a car - it can REALLY pay off (literally) over the long term if you get it right.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - Andrew-T

You simply cannot poopoo a manufacturer on a couple of warranty claims. There is absolutely no problem with the quality of VAG cars and for that matter any other make.

'Dieselgate' was rather more than a 'couple of warranty claims' !!

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - focussed

Any warranty fault or failure that is reported in writing before the end of the manufacturer's warranty period must be covered, irrespective of an owner being able to get a dealer to book it in to his workshop within the warranty period.

That the work is carried out after the end of the warranty period is immaterial, it's the date of reporting that is important.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - groaver

Superb bought at just over one year old from Mini dealership.

A broken coil spring noted at my first service. Covered under warranty. Not in stock. Skoda courtesy car- Octavia vrs for a week and half until repair effected, no charge

Turbo actuator failure at lockdown. Required new turbo (according to dealership).

Warranty covered it a few months before expiry

I would consider that good service.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - Xileno

I guess we are more likely to hear of bad cases as that is more newsworthy. When I had the Renault Megane MK2 I had a few warranty repairs both within and beyond the three-year point, never any argument. I think having a supportive dealer helps and also whether it's a recognised design fault or not. In the case of the Megane MK2 the window regulators were a weak point.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - daveyK_UK

I guess we are more likely to hear of bad cases as that is more newsworthy. When I had the Renault Megane MK2 I had a few warranty repairs both within and beyond the three-year point, never any argument. I think having a supportive dealer helps and also whether it's a recognised design fault or not. In the case of the Megane MK2 the window regulators were a weak point.

Maybe I have been fortunate but I haven’t had to use a warranty in over a decade, then again we buy our cars new or pre reg and sell them on at 3-4 years old. I did have a close neighbour who was a senior technician at a Renault & Nissan dealership; most of the warranty work they carried out focused on the manufacturer approved used cars with a couple of modern models having repeat issues. The most controversial or problematic problem for customers related to clogged DPFs which as a dealership they would only do the work under warranty once, if it happened again they would charge the customer but would use the issue to educate the customers on what was required from the engine in terms of giving it a long run to ensure it didn’t happen. It was a gripe of his the sales side of the business where happy to sell inappropriate cars to customers who would never drive any further than a visit to the local shops

Edited by daveyK_UK on 21/04/2022 at 05:42

<< Maybe I have been fortunate but I haven’t had to use a warranty in over a decade, then again we buy our cars new or pre reg and sell them on at 3-4 years old. >>

I can't remember ever calling on a warranty in 60 years of ownership - but that may be partly because I have never bought newer than 8 months old. In the 'old days' I used to knock down the price of a used car by waiving a dealer's warranty.

I don't know if that would be possible when buying new, but once a car is becoming middle-aged a warranty becomes of dwindling value, as we all know.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - Steveieb

Similar case involves a Kia Ceed I heard about.

The owner was refused a replacement engine as she was unable to book the car in for a service on time because of the pandemic.

So when the engine self destructed she was faced with a £6500 bill.

There is some similar cases and swarfe in the oil ways not cleared during manufacture seems to be the cause.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - thunderbird

Not a whole car but the last car battery I had to replace.

The original was 5 years old and refused to start car one spring morning. Went to local factors and they did a test, said battery had failed and sold me a new one with a 5 year warranty for about £45.

5 years later one spring morning same again. Car fine the previous day but all I got was a click and loads of dash lights and clicking relays. Realised that it was around this time of year when it last failed so found the receipt in the car folder, one day of warranty left. Removed battery and went back to factors. Did a test and declared battery dead. Showed them the receipt but they said since it was close to the end of the warranty there was nothing they could do since they would not be reimbursed. Told them it was not my issue, battery dead and under warranty so I wanted it replacing. They said a clear NO to my request.

So I suggested I would visit trading standards for their input at which point they said they would replace it but not with one of the same quality. I refused their kind offer and told them I would be off to trading standards. The chap was clearly annoyed but agreed to my request and supplied an identical battery saying that t would only have one days warranty on it which was fine by me (would not have expected another 5 years on a replacement). Battery still on car when I sold it about 3 years later.

They all seem to want to test how easy we are to con.

Well done for sticking to your guns. I've recently had a new battery on my old Focus so will remember this. I don't understand the logic to warranties though. Why does the replacement part only have cover to the end of the original warranty? I had this on my Renault when a window regulator broke after about 30 months but the replacement cover was only for another 6 months.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - RT

Well done for sticking to your guns. I've recently had a new battery on my old Focus so will remember this. I don't understand the logic to warranties though. Why does the replacement part only have cover to the end of the original warranty? I had this on my Renault when a window regulator broke after about 30 months but the replacement cover was only for another 6 months.

The warranty relates to the original purchase and starts from that point - when a part is replaced under warranty it must clearly be warranted until the original end point but as you've paid no new money, no reason for the warranty on that part to be extended - obviously, if you pay for a part to be replaced outside warranty, it will have its own warranty from the replacement point of sale.

Skoda Fabia - Skoda refuse warranty until the press get involved - thunderbird

The warranty relates to the original purchase and starts from that point - when a part is replaced under warranty it must clearly be warranted until the original end point but as you've paid no new money, no reason for the warranty on that part to be extended - obviously, if you pay for a part to be replaced outside warranty, it will have its own warranty from the replacement point of sale.

I read an article several years ago that suggested consumers should contribute an amount to any warranty repair which would ensure that the replacement part is covered for the full warranty period and not simply until the end of the original warranty.

Sounded like a load of balls to me, even if it were true who in their right mind would pay for part of a warranty fix unless there was a quoted excess in the T & C's.

<< I read an article several years ago that suggested consumers should contribute an amount to any warranty repair which would ensure that the replacement part is covered for the full warranty period and not simply until the end of the original warranty. >>

I think the legal eagles call it 'betterment', as the repaired article is in overall better condition than it would have been otherwise.

Thanks for explaining, learn something new every day :-)

I had a few warranty claims with the Renault (silly electrical gadgets) but the Focus has been faultless.