What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - Smiffy241

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone can advise me a little in my search for new car. I am quite a tall chap so am after SUV size. I also want an automatic, adaptive cruise control and an in-built satnav (preferably one that doesn't require spending every few months to update). Those are my main 'wants'. The vehicles I have it whittled it down to at the mo are the CX-5, Mokka, Grandland and Tuscon. Something that I am also after is good reliability. I have had nothing but problems with my current car (Peugeot 3008) and have so far had to spend £1500+ to get it to a point where I can sell it because of auto gearbox issues. Price wise I am looking at pcp deals at the mo with a max spend of £350pm and a £7000 deposit. Anything that's between 3_6 years old will do me. If anyone has any insight into the cars listed or any others that may be similar I would appreciate any info. Many thanks.

Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - Dag Hammar

I had a Vauxhall Grandland X on a 24 month lease, (contract hire) so it was returned when the fixed term came to an end. The model I had was the 1.2 turbo petrol with a six speed manual gearbox. To say that I loved it would be an understatement, it was comfortable to be inside and it smoothed out the road bumps and potholes very well. As I am in my late sixties I’m no boy racer but if and when I needed to put my foot down it responded superbly. My model was only an SE Spec and therefore had sensible size wheels which I think were 17 inch and a reasonable profile tyre which I’m sure contributed to the ride comfort.

I believe I’m right in saying that the Grandland is a re-skinned Peugeot 3008 and that may be enough to dissuade you from considering the Grandland.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you for the info. The Grandland wasn't my favourite when I had a ait down in one as I didn't get the 'snug' feeling I prefer. Also I didn't realise it was based on the 3008.

Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - _

If you have that sort of money, A Tucson or cousin Sportage will have all the bits you want and be reliable.

Go for new, and you will get deposit contribution on the new cars AND the warranty, and the lower pcp intersest rates.

Rates on used cars are a LOT higher.

I am 6'2" and currently 100 kilos and the sportage was fine.

the new 1.5 T petro, auto is good and kia autos have a generally good reputation.

The warranty and good reputation of Kia is what I am after. I meant to put it in the list of cars I liked and the Sportage was one of them. I did wonder if going for new was a better option. I will look into this further. Many thanks.

Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - badbusdriver

First thing is, I hope your 3008 is not the current (2017 on) shape, as the Grandland is the same car under the skin!. If it was the older shape, the gearbox problems make sense as most of them used the EGC automated manual which were not great.

The Mazda (assuming it is the petrol engine) would probably be the most reliable out of your choices, but worth bearing in mind that a 3 year old Tucson (assuming full dealer history) will still have two years warranty left. The Mokka is a bit smaller than your other choices and while reasonably reliable, was considered to have a poor ride.

With reliability being a key factor, I'd also be looking at the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV. Also, as you are looking at the Tucson, it would make sense to consider its sister car, the Kia Sportage. Same under the skin, but with a 7 year warranty from new rather than the 5 of the Hyundai.

Actually mine is the 2015 version. Bought it at 3 years old, fine for 2 years and nothing but a money pit ever since. Shame because the ride is actually ok. The RAV4 is one I had looked at but then read a few not so favourable reviews and they turned me off them a little. I will have a look at the specs on a CRV though for sure. I did also look into VW Tiguan and again turned myself off them based on some online reviews but may look at them again. Many thanks.

Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - _

At the risk of repeating myself...

With the cost of recent second hand used cars being stratospheric, and given that you have a very healthy budget, whatever yo go for, GO for new and get the warranty, together with new tyres, brakes, etc, with some you will get a service pck, Kia....

Kia is currently 5% on a pcp, used on anything will be more than 10%..

If you want alook a bit sidewys, SSangyong do 10% off for essential workers Or a PCP contribution otherwise.

Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - badbusdriver

Actually mine is the 2015 version. Bought it at 3 years old, fine for 2 years and nothing but a money pit ever since. Shame because the ride is actually ok. The RAV4 is one I had looked at but then read a few not so favourable reviews and they turned me off them a little. I will have a look at the specs on a CRV though for sure. I did also look into VW Tiguan and again turned myself off them based on some online reviews but may look at them again. Many thanks.

As your car was the previous shape 3008 it shares very little with the current one, or the Grandland. The gearbox is a torque converter auto rather than an automated manual which is more reliable and smoother, though possibly less efficient.

I wouldn't read to much into negative reviews of the RAV4, they are constantly amongst the most reliable cars in their class. Some of the diesel engines Toyota have used came from BMW and were not that great (not sure if they were used in the RAV4 though), but petrol and hybrid are absolutely fine, as are the auto gearboxes. The auto Tucson and Sportage will (I think) both use DCT (dual clutch automated manuals) gearboxes and while they may fare a little better than some, it is a type of gearbox* I'd try to avoid personally, especially so if buying used. As such, as an auto, I'd have the CX5, RAV4 and CRV at the top of my list for cars of that type. TBH, were it not for the possible question mark over the reliability of the 1.2 turbo (Puretech) petrol used in the Grandland, I'd be inclined to place that above the Korean's just because of the better (IMO) gearbox.

*The DSG gearbox used in VAG cars is the same type, as is the Powershift used in Fords. They can be reliable if driven sensibly, but I'd still be reluctant.

Thanks for that info and input. RAV4, Tuscon, CRV and Sportage are the ones I have narrowed it down to. I looked at a CX-5 earlier and didn't feel as 'closed in' as I like to feel so have struck that one from the list.

Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tuscon, Vauxhall Mokka - 'New' SUV - daveyK_UK
I was impressed with the new grandland X , seemed a good all rounder.