What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - Warning

I wanted to put a car for sale, but they want £36.95 for the basic feature for two weeks or £46 for 3 weeks. There is no refund if it does not sell. The advertising costs seem steep to me. If it sells, then I suppose it is fine, but there is no refund, if it does not sell.

I don't know if it will sell in two weeks.

I have tried Facebook Marketplace, but get time wasters who offer silly money even without viewing the car.

Edited by Warning on 01/03/2022 at 12:52

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - alan1302

What price would you expect it to be?

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - Trilogy.

Try Gumtree, it can be free to advertise. What are you selling?

Edited by Trilogy. on 01/03/2022 at 14:03

Vauxhall Zafira 45,000 miles 2006

Edited by Warning on 01/03/2022 at 14:08

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - paul 1963

Why on earth would you expect a refund?

> Why on earth would you expect a refund?

I don't mind paying the £36 but it is steep, if the car does not sell and I have to re-new the advert.

> Why on earth would you expect a refund?

I don't mind paying the £36 but it is steep, if the car does not sell and I have to re-new the advert.

But that would hardly be Autotraders fault ( providing they printed the ad correctly of course!)

If your really worried about spending £36 then see how much cazzo etc would offer you.

Cazoo "We're sorry, we are unable to provide a valuation for your car given the details you provided."

The problem is that I have is that is is a low mileage car. I put an advert in the window, but a few cheeky people compared the price to a car which has done 140,000 miles or a non-runner. (They were n't serious, just casual people).

Edited by Warning on 01/03/2022 at 14:23

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - Bromptonaut

What price would you expect it to be?

That was my thought too.

Not sold a car privately for many a long year but seem to remember paying £10+ for classifieds in the eighties.

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - _

How much. Where are you?

Not sure of the value. Based in London

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - SLO76
Gumtree is the place for cheaper end cars like this and it’s free. Just make sure you don’t select the wrong option which the site try’s to push you towards.
Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - badbusdriver

I wanted to put a car for sale, but they want £36.95 for the basic feature for two weeks or £46 for 3 weeks. There is no refund if it does not sell. The advertising costs seem steep to me. If it sells, then I suppose it is fine, but there is no refund, if it does not sell.

£36 to advertise your car on such a well known site for two weeks sounds quite reasonable to me. If the car has not sold after that period then you are asking too much so I really don't understand why you'd expect Autotrader to give a refund?.

Reading between the lines, I feel you may be expecting more of a premium for the low mileage than is realistic for a car like that. It may be the case that most folk would prefer a car of that age with under 100k miles, but I doubt the kind of buyer looking at a 16 year old Zafira would be wiling to pay much more (if any) for one with 45k miles than one with 80k miles. As has been discussed on the forum many times, low miles is not necessarily a good thing. In fact if your car is diesel, I'd probably avoid it because of the low mileage!

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - Trilogy.

A refund? What for? Ridiculous!

A refund? What for? Ridiculous!

Ok, not a refund, but certainly an ability to re-advertise at sensible prices.

Their pricing is 2 weeks -> £36.95 3 weeks -> £46.95 6 weeks -> £58.95

If it does not sell in two weeks, then have to pay £36.95 x 2 adverts = £79.90. It seems harsh considering the 6 six week advert costs £58.95

Ebay are charging £17.99 for a 30 day classified advert.

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - badbusdriver

So put it on Ebay then!

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - _

If you don't want to put the price on here send it to moderators and i'll tell you if interested. looking for a cheapie (ish for a friend)

So put it on Ebay then!

Exactly BBD! OP, you stated earlier your not sure of its value, so how do you expect to advertise it?

Edited by paul 1963 on 01/03/2022 at 19:03

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - pd

Autotrader have a price and entitled to ask what they like. If you think it too expensive use somewhere else cheaper

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - Gibbo_Wirral

Best free place to list a cheap car is Facebook marketplace.

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - daveyK_UK
I would avoid eBay like the plague as a seller

Little to no protection, ridiculous advert and sales fees, no guarantee the winning bid will buy and I was told eBay site traffic is the lowest it’s been in over a decade

Edited by daveyK_UK on 02/03/2022 at 16:34

Autotrader £36 to advertise for two weeks? - daveyK_UK
Forgot to add, If you get anywhere close to £2.5k for the Zafira you will have done well.

That’s it’s ceiling , You would sell it quickly at £1.5k, within 2 weeks at £2k

The mileage is not really a concern at this age, what sells old Zafira’s is 7 seats and 12 months MOT

Edited by daveyK_UK on 02/03/2022 at 16:40