What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo - Worth a look? - joegrundy

Inspired by the Jag S type thread (but down a notch or two) I've just noticed that a well respected local dealer has a 2004 Mondeo Ghia x 2.0 auto (petrol) for sale at £1750. 72k miles. No more info than that at present so can't check MOT history etc.

I always liked these (and my x type which was based on it) and subject to all checking out I'm tempted. Any thoughts?

Mondeo - Worth a look? - Xileno

I would thoroughly check for rust, particularly along the bottoms of doors, wheelarch lips and sills.

Mondeo - Worth a look? - elekie&a/c doctor
Mk 3 Mondeo was a fine effort by Ford . Very little trouble. The 2.0 Duratec engine can be thirsty on oil . It’s based on a Mazda design and chain drive cams . I’ve had 4 of these , all estate models , comfortable and very spacious. Clever design to change a headlight bulb . Slide out 2 locking pins and the whole headlight can be removed for access.
Mondeo - Worth a look? - badbusdriver
Mk 3 Mondeo was a fine effort by Ford . Very little trouble. The 2.0 Duratec engine can be thirsty on oil . It’s based on a Mazda design and chain drive cams . I’ve had 4 of these , all estate models , comfortable and very spacious. Clever design to change a headlight bulb . Slide out 2 locking pins and the whole headlight can be removed for access.

The MK 3 Mondeo came out in 2007, so the 2004 car in question would be a MK 2.

I also like these a lot, it would make a fine comfy barge.

Mondeo - Worth a look? - elekie&a/c doctor
Technically you’re correct . But mention a mk3 and this would be the model from 2000 . The mk2 would be the facelift model mk1 from around 1997 .
Mondeo - Worth a look? - SLO76
Technically you’re correct . But mention a mk3 and this would be the model from 2000 . The mk2 would be the facelift model mk1 from around 1997 .

Yup, the trade regard the face lifted Mk I that came out in 97 as the Mk II. The Mk III arrived in 2000.
Mondeo - Worth a look? - SLO76
If it’s solid then there’s no reason to avoid it. Robust Mazda designed engine and tough torque converter transmission mean there’s no real inherent concerns beyond the norm on an older car. Rust is the big worry. They are rather greedy though, I ran a 1.8 Edge manual I had for sale for a while and getting much over 30mpg day to day was a challenge. Weirdly the Mazda 6 2.0 petrol that I used after I sold it was much better on fuel despite using basically the same engine but slightly larger.
Mondeo - Worth a look? - Xileno

We had them at work on the hire fleet around year 2000, I remember them being very comfy but I suppose it depended on the wheel spec, we would have had fairly basic ones although often with the 2.0 engine. I always enjoyed getting a Mondeo for a long drive, the Rover 45s that were also popular were better than I predicted.

Mondeo - Worth a look? - pd

"Tough gearbox" depends on what's got. Certainly the early ones had the god awful Ford in-house 4-speed box which was absolutely terrible.

I forget what a 2004 will have but they were certainly using it in 2001 ish