What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Clear windscreen - wantstolearn

I'm always looking for ways to improve driving safety. Obviously visibility is significant. Looking at Halfords site for tyres I came across Duxback . I would appreciate views on its value. Thanks.

Any - Clear windscreen - badbusdriver

Not sure what Duxback is, but I'm assuming something like Rain-X (which has been around for ages)?.

I have used Rain-X once and thought it OK, but not enough to bother using again. Much more important to have decent quality wiper blades and not to let the windscreen wash run dry!.

Thanks for prompt and clear reply. It's a product supplied and a applied by Halfords to keep window clear.

Any - Clear windscreen - galileo

The "Roadsmart" magazine which came today includes an ad for "Liquid Glass" which claims to reduce dirt build up, beads water (as Rain-X does) but also claims it protects from stone chips and can be used to protect alloy wheels.

No info on the size or velocity of stone chips it protects against, it seems pricey at £24.99 compared with Rain-X at £4.99.

Edited by galileo on 18/02/2022 at 13:47

Any - Clear windscreen - badbusdriver

The "Roadsmart" magazine which came today includes an ad for "Liquid Glass" which claims to reduce dirt build up, beads water (as Rain-X does) but also claims it protects from stone chips and can be used to protect alloy wheels.

You can buy stuff like that to protect the screen of a smartphone or tablet, I've used it myself in the past. It was applied using a thing like a 'wet wipe' impregnated with the product, just wipe the screen and leave it to dry.

Not sure I'd be keen to use it on a car windscreen without hearing the experience of others who'd used it though.

Thanks both, valued posts.

Any - Clear windscreen - FoxyJukebox
My tip for a filthy smeared
windscreen is to sponge and rub with warm water and a generous squirt of washing up liquid-then rinse well and wipe dry with a dedicated leather.
Any - Clear windscreen - Bromptonaut

Rain X works well on side windows - the droplets blow away.

I'd be much more cautious about using it on an area swept by a wiper where, after a short period, it tends to smear.

Thanks. Very useful info.

Any - Clear windscreen - bazza

As above, fine on side windows but I found it an absolute nightmare on the windscreen when I tried it some years ago. Far better to have good wiperblades and degrease the windscreen often using some IPA or ethanol.

Thanks. What's IPA please ?

Any - Clear windscreen - Xileno

Indian Pale Ale?

More likely Isopropyl Alcohol

Any - Clear windscreen - Big John

Myself I quite like Rain X on my windscreen but I'd agree it's best applied to side and back windows - I don't have a rear wash wipe so water just rolls off.

I also periodically clean my wiper blades with a bit vinegar on a cloth.