What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Prices - T.G.Webb
Readers may be interested to know that if you go to N Ireland you can take advantage of the lower prices here. It might be necessary first to register the car locally (using a relative's address perhaps) but it's no problem then to re-register it when you get it home. For example when I asked a dealer here for a no-nonsense no trade-in price for a Zafira diesel Elegance (list £17240) he could quote me £14700 (good through end Sept). Since I have enough GM card points this makes him competitive versus an import. Whether I should reward GM after suffering a Vectra for 5 years (serial cambelt roller failures) is another matter.
Re: Vauxhall Prices - Andy Bairsto
when the euro appreciates around 20% against the pound next year people wil be coming to the uk to buy cheap cars
Re: Vauxhall Prices - Alvin Booth
Andrew,
I feel you are so wrong on the idea that it is in the UKs benefit to become just a service provider. This idea has been mooted for several years that we should leave manufacturing to the tiger economies who can do it more cheaply than ourselves and concentrate on the service sector.
Think of the consequences of this if the worst should happen such as war, natural disasters and the like. The city of London will be of no use to us then,
A strong nation needs manufacturing, R&D, technical education and farming to protect us in times of crisis.
History repeats itself and we should always attempt to be able to sustain ourselves under the worst circumstances. I'm old enough to remember the "dig for victory" times.
Although having said that I might agree with you on the inability of the EU to ever produce a workable economy, due as you rightly state to mismanagement of finances and also to vested interests of member states.
However I have little doubt that one day you will see a federal Europe with ourselves part of it.
regards,

Alvin
Has some think gone wrong in our e.mails I totally agree with you or are we talking at cross purposes .
Re: The wrong Andy.. - Alvin Booth
Andy,
I think you got my post wrong....I was reponding to Andrew Hamiltons view on this thread.
regards,
Alvin
Re: Vauxhall Prices - Alvin Booth
Andy,
Are you in the know......
SHould I be buying euros.....
Or is this another cunning ploy from Helmut?

Alvin
The way almost all pundits see it is that he euro will be the worlds most powerfull currency that fact cannot really be denied,As the gross national product of the euro zone is far greater than the dollar zone.Plus Germany has not drifted into recession but is now starting to expand with all new car plants destined for europe being built inGermanySunderland will close within the next five years and toyota are planning to pull out ,they are looking to expand their polish connection.Dresden is host to the biggest micro chip expansion of any country in the world .The uk is losing much of its production industry BMW are looking for a new plant other than the new one in Leipzig to so they can get rid of the uk and build the mini in euro zone.New motorways are being built to join all the former eastern block countries leaniv the uk in isolation .Uk companies will have to do business in euros and as most american companies do business through Frankfurt or Amsterdam they will also use only euros.All the telco companies no matter where they are doing business only euros.The tax on small companies IR35 has sent just about everybody in the consultancy trade mega business to Switzerland or to mainland Europe .My company although small will now only deal in euro and the uk will not seeone p of its turnover.Only time will tell but I think the writing is already on the wall.
I apologise if this is a bit deep and not particular to do with motoring but I am a patriot at heart and hate to see the uk so missmanaged
Re: Vauxhall Prices - Andrew Hamilton
The ability of the EU to mismanage finances and subsidence uneconomic production including cars is a root cause of the decline of the Euro. Unfortunately it will continue as the structure is so ossified it cannot cope with change. For foreign manufacturers it is easy to leave the UK as closing down costs are lower. Britain is moving towards a service economy which will be more of a future revenue earner than production of goods.
Re: Vauxhall Prices - honest john
There are UK supplied Zafiras with three year warranties from £11,650 in the news on this website. Try www.broker4cars.co.uk

HJ