What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - Trilogy.

20 years ago KIA had the awful Rio on sale. Now the company has the best and 3rd best selling car in the UK, quite a transformation. In the meantime we've lost Rover and Saab.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/car-market-1/2022-02/top.../

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - RT

Daewoo/Chevrolet has gone as well, not that it's much of a loss.

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - badbusdriver

20 years ago KIA had the awful Rio on sale.

We still do have the Rio on sale!

But working on the assumption that you are specifically referring to the 1st gen Rio, what was wrong with it?. Granted it wasn't a car anyone would get exited about, but it was extremely reliable and being almost estate car like in proportion, had a generous boot capacity for that size of car. That is why they were so loved by the older gent on a budget!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/02/2022 at 08:36

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - Will deBeast

Hyundai/Kia have been on a 20+ year commitment to quality and design. Along the way, they've hired some of the best designers and engineers from around the world. And it shows.

www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a1441.../

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - bathtub tom

The Pride was introduced 35 years ago, but as it was really a Mazda 121, does it count?

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - SLO76

The Pride was introduced 35 years ago, but as it was really a Mazda 121, does it count?

They made a most sensible entry to the market via the purchase of a robust previous gen Japanese design. Kia and Hyundai built up a name for reliability on the back of older Mazda and Mitsubishi designs before moving cautiously into building their own, really starting with the first good home grown car out of Korea, the Hyundai Lantra.
What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - Metropolis.
I liked the early 2000s Kia and Hyundai. Suddenly, having a v6 with aircon and automatic gearbox, or even the 2.0 (wow) was attainable for people on modest incomes. A lot seemed to be bought by retirees and kept till death.
What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - Moodyman

Whilst Hyundai/Kia have made good progress, the sales chart is slightly skewed because the usual favourites (Ford/Vauxhall/VW) are unable to produce enough cars to meet demand.

Having driven a couple of new KIAs (courtesy cars) they were fine in isolation. Buy didn't feel as good quality as my slightly older Toyota's - same segment.

Where they've really made progress is making their cars look and feel European. That is most likely due to the hiring of European design staff.

Edited by Moodyman on 14/02/2022 at 09:49

Aah, but you could get whitewall tyres on the Pride!

;-)

And anyway, the first BMW car (the Dixi) was a license built Austin Seven!.

I liked the early 2000s Kia and Hyundai. Suddenly, having a v6 with aircon and automatic gearbox, or even the 2.0 (wow) was attainable for people on modest incomes. A lot seemed to be bought by retirees and kept till death.

My uncle had an early Hyundai Sonata (this would have been late 80's), though I think it was the 2.4 (which was a 4 cyl) rather than the 3.0 V6. He liked the car well enough but following a dispute with the dealer, got shot of it after not very long and vowed never to have another Hyundai, at least not till someone else was selling them!.

The first Hyundai's I remember were the Steller's which became popular as taxi's in the 80's. I believe they were sometimes referred to as the 'Korean Cortina'.

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - Steveieb

That’s right BBD.

Hyundai made the Cortina under licence from Ford in the seventies and employed an ex Chrysler engineer for Coventry to transform it into the Steller.

Apparently KIA struggled initially in the US where veterans of the Vietnam war found it brought back memories of KIA which stood for Killed in Action !

According to What Car?

Kia has demonstrated a so-so record for reliability in recent years. The Korean firm wasn't included in the last What Car? Reliability Survey, but it managed mid-table respectability in the most recent JD Power customer satisfaction survey.

The Rio did Kia no favours in the study, though, scoring poorly for mechanical reliability and finishing too near the bottom of the table for comfort. Problems with the suspension, the engine and the ventilation system were the main areas of complaint.

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - RT

In the 2022 JD Power US Vehicle dependability Study, Kia came top, with Hyundai 3rd and Genesis 4th - the only break in Hyundai-Kia-Genesis's clean sweep was Buick in 2nd by virtue of its Chinese-built products.

As ever, Land Rover was last!

That’s right BBD.

Hyundai made the Cortina under licence from Ford in the seventies and employed an ex Chrysler engineer for Coventry to transform it into the Steller.

I didn't know that, I thought the moniker was just because of the Steller being a mechanically simple, squared edged, three box saloon, appealing to the type of buyer who found the Sierra just a bit too avant garde (and who missed their Cortina's)!.

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - _

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Stellar

I remember seeing the Hyundai stellar at the Geneva Motor show when it was launched.

A lot of car for the money.

The original Kia Rio estae was a £1 deposit to drive away when launched in the uk. A rover 200 was £9995 base model..

In the early 70's we laughed at the first Toyota and Hondas we saw..

Edited by _ORB_ on 14/02/2022 at 13:06

That’s true ORB about our attitude to Japanese cars. But when one of my work colleagues Major Arthur Mallock who built the famous U2 in his garage, bought a Honda Accord in 77 we knew we had to take these cars seriously.

The original Kia Rio estate was a £1 deposit to drive away when launched in the uk. A rover 200 was £9995 base model..

Virtually given away to sell. No surprise there.

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - brum

I remember looking at one of the first Kia Prides imported into the UK I think it was 1988. Whitewall tyres looked very ropey, but the lasting memory was the amount of rust in the engine bay. Compared to other cars of the day, it was a joke of a car.

I also remember the first Toyotas in the early 1970s. My brother had a toyota corolla. Rather flimsy but ran like a sewing machine. The flagship Toyota Crown with the built in fridge, expensive and didn't sell and later the large Toyota Cressida which enjoyed a bit of popularity. Both models would rust away before your eyes. Far quicker than most english cars which were bad enough. Think the Lancia Beta lovely though it was, took the prize for quickest zero to scrapyard rustheap time. It wasn't until VW started importing cars that manufacturers started taking rust prevention seriously from what I recall.

What a difference 20 years makes - KIA number 1 - daveyjp

When my 1999 Mk1 Focus was in for repair thanks to a hit and run I was asked if I was OK with an automatic as that was the only courtesy car the repairer had.

I said yes and was given a 1998 Hyundai Accent estate 1.3 auto. Compared to the Focus it was like stepping into the first car I ever drove, a mid 1970s Datsun 120Y.

We had a first gen i20 in 2011 and that felt 10 years older than it was and my sister had a mk1 i30 for about 10 years.

However Kia/Hyundai have upped their game and our neighbourhood is littered with i10s, Picantos, Rios etc. The extended warranty was a game changer.