What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - Steveee

My battery died from Warrington to Liverpool, I had to get the green flag out the engineer said check it out with a Kia main dealer, would it be on the 7 year warranty, steve

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - _

As long as you have had it serviced.....at a Kia dealer, should be no problem, with the caveat that "Is the battery covered"

Read the terms and conditions of the warranty, And if bought recently, did you buy from a Kia dealer?

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - daveyjp

Assuming its the original at almost 5 years old failure is possible, espcially if during lockdown the car wasn't used much. As a wear and tear matter it is unlikely to be covered by warranty,

Do however have a charging system check to ensure it isn't a fault with alternator which should be covered.

Edited by daveyjp on 09/02/2022 at 14:42

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - elekie&a/c doctor
Is this the 12 volt battery or the hybrid one ?
Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - sammy1

So it has come down to this which battery has failed! Time was there was only one

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - DavidGlos
I’d guess it’d be the 12v battery. Surprisingly common failure on hybrids. Can’t see Kia paying for one on a five year old car. Although the main warranty is seven years, I’m sure stuff like batteries, clutches (where applicable) and some other bits and bobs are warranted for a far shorter period.

Edited by DavidGlos on 09/02/2022 at 19:23

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - Engineer Andy
I’d guess it’d be the 12v battery. Surprisingly common failure on hybrids. Can’t see Kia paying for one on a five year old car. Although the main warranty is seven years, I’m sure stuff like batteries, clutches (where applicable) and some other bits and bobs are warranted for a far shorter period.

I agree - it's a wear and tear part just like the clutch, and 5 years is well outside the (longer) warranty window that KIA provide for a clutch. If it's the hybrid battery, then that I would of thought would be covered, if it was maintained via the main dealer network on schedule.

I also distinctly remember someone commenting (at least) once about similar issues with their Yaris (?) hybrid, supposedly because they only did short journies and never did enough mileage each time to recharge the 12V battery after the start-up drain.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a far more common problem, and an incrasing one as more people buy hybrids, given how many people's driving pattern is of that type - its the sort that my OAP parents would likely suffer from as they do about 2-3k miles pa normally, mostly made up of 1-2 mile trips to the local supermakret twice a week.

What surprised me was that their current (standard ICE) FIesta's OEM 12V battery lasted over 10 years on that very driving pattern.

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - alan1302

So it has come down to this which battery has failed! Time was there was only one

Time was when there were none!

Kia Niro Phev 67 reg - Flat battery - bathtub tom

Time was when there were none!

Before that there was only batteries.