2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - notmyname

Hi

Any advice on a choice between these large SUVs with 7 seats?

Would you go diesel or petrol? I realize the q7 of that age are only diesel.

Which has the biggest 3rd row seats?

Thanks

2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - Robert J.
Other, wiser members of the forum will no doubt be alone to comment soon, but these vehicles are well out of manufacture’s warranty and could potentially land you with eye-watering bills. If you search around you will find a recent thread on a member’s experience with the smaller XC60 and how dissatisfied with it he was. The Diesel engines in particular could be troublesome at that age.
Why don’t you have a look at some examples and judge if the seats are large enough yourself?
2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - Metropolis.
Would you mind left hand drive?

If you want a vehicle that can carry adults in the rearmost seats in luxurious comfort and reliability, consider this www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109307988221

Much better than those nancy monocoques you are looking at currently. It is faster than you might think, too.
2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - badbusdriver

First, as you want the biggest 3rd row seats, I wouldn't be looking at any of them. I'd be looking at some kind of minibus.

You have not given a budget, but looking on Autotrader at your 3 SUV's, the prices for examples with reasonable miles seem to go from around £25-35k. Assuming £30k, I could get into a 2021 Ford Tourney Custom for that money (seen one with 'delivery' miles for £33k). This would have much more seat space for 2nd and 3rd row occupants, plus, even with the standard (L1) wheelbase (actually slightly shorter than the Q7), much more luggage space. Up that to the L2 wheelbase and the volume of luggage space would be similar to a Q7 with all the seats folded.

For about £28k, I could get into a 2019 Hyundai i800. Not only would this still have 2 years warranty remaining (out of the 5 they come with), but they would also offer much more generous accommodation and luggage space. Infotainment is way behind what most folk might expect for a car of that age, but apart from that, it will do the job.

Of course neither of my two suggestions are going to impress your neighbours, nor are they going to be much use if you need 4wd.

So, if it must one of your three SUV's, I'd probably discount the BMW first, if, for no other reason than it is the smallest with the least luggage space. For a big heavy SUV, I'd probably also prefer a diesel, ideally a bigger one. So, as the Volvo would have a 2.0 (unless you went for the previous shape), I'd probably take the Q7 with its 3.0.

Edited by badbusdriver on 28/01/2022 at 14:28

Would you mind left hand drive?

If you want a vehicle that can carry adults in the rearmost seats in luxurious comfort and reliability, consider this www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109307988221

Much better than those nancy monocoques you are looking at currently. It is faster than you might think, too.

Interesting suggestion, though I'm not sure you have actually looked into it. If you had, you'd be aware that despite the Yukon's gargantuan size, 3rd row occupants are not very well catered for at all being pretty comprehensively short changed by the lack of legroom and the thinly padded seats (which suggests longer journeys would be no fun at all back there).

One of the reasons is probably the separate chassis which, ironically you clearly think makes it better. This means less internal height compared to a monocoque car of the same external height (to allow space for that chassis). In addition, can you imagine trying to park it in the supermarket car park?. Also, is your driveway big enough?

2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - Ian_SW

I'm not sure I'd spend £30k on any 6-7 year old car, particularly as that's still well over half what they cost brand new.

If that's the OP's price limit, the first thing I'd do is take a trip to a Kia showroom and have a look at the Sorrento with an open mind. You'd be able to get a 2 year old one of them for the same price as a 7 year old Q7 or X90. Then think about whether in 4 years time it's better to be driving in a 6 year old car with a years warranty left or a 11 year old car with expensive servicing and parts....

Edited by SkodaIan on 28/01/2022 at 15:01

2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - notmyname

Hi

Thanks all, this is great food for thought, exactly what I was looking for. You got the budget right.

I am concerned about buying something 6/7 years old given the investment.

I will have a look at the suggestion

Thanks

The problem with seven seat SUV's is not the distance between middle and rear backrests, nor is it the space between the seat cushion and the roof, it is invariably leg/foot space. That is where they are always going to be compromised. Not really a problem if you are putting kids (up to maybe 12 or 13 years old) back there, and in most cases, adults would be OK for shorter runs. But with adults or older kids, they are going to be very uncomfortable on a longer run. Just been looking at a (What Car) video review for the Kia Sorento, and while the reviewer said there was plenty of space in the third row, it really didn't look comfortable!. Principally because if you looked at the line of his leg from hip to knee, it was at an angle of about 45 degrees. In order for adults or older kids to be comfortable in the third row, there needs to be a decent height between the cushion and the floor along with (ideally) enough space to slide your feet under the middle row.

Because of this, I'd stick my neck out here and say two adults would be more comfortable sat in the third row of the LWB version of something like the Vauxhall Combo Life rather than the much bigger Audi Q7.

2015 xc90 v Q7 v X5 - SLO76
My 7yr old, low mileage, full history, approved used Volvo XC60 turned out to be a proper pup. I won’t be investing a lot of money into a complex elderly SUV ever again and I’d advise you against it too. I ticked every box when looking for that car. It stacked up in every way yet it was still a pig.