What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Note - Used Nissan Note v Honda Jazz - martin.mc

Looking to spend around 3K on one of these. There are lots of Notes for sale in the North East as they were built in Sunderland just up the road from here. I have memories of Japanese car reliability from the 1980s. Does this still apply to Nissan now they are connected with Renault? Retired now and don't do many miles but the1.5 diesel looks attractive with 60mpg and £30 a year road tax. Also considering a Jazz as these look a nice car. Is there much to choose between the 1.2 and 1.4 engines? What do others think about the reliability of both makes?

Nissan Note - Used Nissan Note v Honda Jazz - Big John

The petrol Notes 2013 and earlier are the ones to have - reliable and will last for ever (well - within reason). If you don't do so many miles don't get a diesel. Later models - not so good.

Honda Jazz a great car but I'd suggest the 1.4 if you want to drive on a motorway.

Edited by Big John on 22/01/2022 at 00:06

Nissan Note - Used Nissan Note v Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

Out of the two generations of Note sold in the UK, (as has been said) first gen is generally regarded as being the best for reliability. But the 2nd is fine too as long as you avoid the CVT auto and the supercharged 1.2 (DIG-S). I really wouldn't bother with the diesel at this price as none of the petrol's are particularly thirsty, plus, any savings on fuel/tax will be completely wiped (and then some) out should something go wrong on the diesel.

The Jazz is extremely reliable with either engine. With such a small budget, I would be more concerned about condition rather than which engine. Yes, ultimately the 1.4 would be more at ease on higher speed roads, but the 1.2 will manage just fine.

But at the end of the day, £3k isn't much at all. Both Jazz and Note are inherently reliable but years of neglectful owners could turn either into potential money pits. So you'd be best not to limit yourself to just these two cars as there are plenty of other £3k motors worth a punt if they have been looked after. Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4, Ford Fusion 1.4/1.6, Suzuki Swift (any petrol), Mazda 2 1.3/1.5, Toyota Yaris 1.33 are just a few that spring to mind. But judge anything on condition, and look up their MOT histories on line. This will give some indication on how well or otherwise, a car has been looked after.

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/01/2022 at 06:43

Nissan Note - Used Nissan Note v Honda Jazz - SLO76
Forget diesel at this money (there’s just too much to go wrong) and add in a few other options like the Suzuki Swift, Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 and Mazda 2 then buy on condition over make and model. The Note is a good little car, the Mk I is just about as reliable as the Jazz but the wee Nissan is the better car to drive, I favour it to the Honda but I’d buy on condition first.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/01/2022 at 14:42

Thank you for your advice. point taken about diesels. Any money saved would be a drop in the ocean compared to the money my wife wastes on shopping. Didn't know you could look up MOT histories until now. Lots of shiny cars hiding dirty secrets. Corroded sub frames, worn suspension, oil leaks etc.

Nissan Note - Used Nissan Note v Honda Jazz - SLO76
The Mot History site is a Godsend.

Looking on Autotrader, surprised at how many pre 2007 cars there are for sale, some of them nearly 2 grand. It would appear that with the general hike in used prices, it's now worth repairing older vehicles. No more £500 cheapies.

Nissan Note - Used Nissan Note v Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

Looking on Autotrader, surprised at how many pre 2007 cars there are for sale, some of them nearly 2 grand. It would appear that with the general hike in used prices, it's now worth repairing older vehicles. No more £500 cheapies.

Even before the prices rises of the last couple of years there was still many, many pre 2007 cars at £2k or more.