What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - Muhammad huzaifah

Hi guys,

So im looking at buying my first car. Im 27 years old,Married with my first child on the way.

I have no idea what to buy or where to start.

I initially wanted to buy a bmw 3 series or a golf but have decided not to at this moment of time.

Im wanting to spend something in the region of £7-8k for a used car.

I have no idea where to start. Currently a named driver on a toyota yaris 2012 model which i love driving as i fill up and it lasts me a week & its cheap to run. Hardly ever had problems.

I only drive locally. Ive read on forums here that people recommend mainly toyota or honda civic for that price. Ive seen kia and hyundai i30 also but i personally would prefer a toyota or honda. I wouldnt like the mileage to be too high.. i think 60k or less would be reasonable. Petrol would also be great.

What do you guys recommend??

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - SLO76

You’re right to leave out the BMW. The following simple petrol engined models would make good family transport though.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - These use a very robust Yamaha designed motor with a great reputation and they’re great fun to drive. Cheap for parts and very practical. Avoid the Powershift autos and the fragile 1.0 Ecoboost.

Mazda 3 petrol - Your budget will just about get you a second gen 2.0 Skyactiv petrol. These are excellent cars, both reliable and good to drive.

Toyota Auris 1.33/1.6 petrol - Robust and long lived, these are utterly pain free to own.

Honda Civic 1.4/1.8 petrol - Practical, well made and very robust. Only cars to avoid are early 2012 1.8’s due to reported oil usage issues. Buy a 2013 onwards or a 1.4.

The Kia Cee’d and Hyundai i30 are ok but they rot badly underneath as they age and tend to crash in value as they exit warranty term. Really they sell on price alone later in life while a nice Civic or Auris will always find a buyer easily.

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - Engineer Andy

You’re right to leave out the BMW. The following simple petrol engined models would make good family transport though.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - These use a very robust Yamaha designed motor with a great reputation and they’re great fun to drive. Cheap for parts and very practical. Avoid the Powershift autos and the fragile 1.0 Ecoboost.

Mazda 3 petrol - Your budget will just about get you a second gen 2.0 Skyactiv petrol. These are excellent cars, both reliable and good to drive.

Toyota Auris 1.33/1.6 petrol - Robust and long lived, these are utterly pain free to own.

Honda Civic 1.4/1.8 petrol - Practical, well made and very robust. Only cars to avoid are early 2012 1.8’s due to reported oil usage issues. Buy a 2013 onwards or a 1.4.

The Kia Cee’d and Hyundai i30 are ok but they rot badly underneath as they age and tend to crash in value as they exit warranty term. Really they sell on price alone later in life while a nice Civic or Auris will always find a buyer easily.

I'd add to that to go for a mid-spec (trim) model at most to enable the OP, especially in the current high-prices climate, to get as much car for their money by getting the one that's newest / has a full dealership service history, no MOT failures and is in the best phyiscal condition, reasonable (not overly high or low) mileage.

Lower and mid-spec (trim) cars also come with small wheels and higher profile tyres, which are far less susceptible to damage, wear less generally, are better for mpg and especially for ride quality/road noise, and for the cars stated, barely noticably less good handling - and, of course, FAR cheaper to replace.

They also reduce the insurance costs and have less gizmos to go wrong, which are (all cars) often not cheap to repair/replace.

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - Muhammad huzaifah

Thank you for your great input.

I was wondering, besides these cars, ive also been looking at 2014/15 plate toyota yaris and im seeing that theyre selling for around the 6k mark.

Do you think its a good idea looking into buying one of these instead of the other recommended. The yaris i drive is a tad older around 2010. Ive never driven the newer shapes. Are they any good as i like the way they look. They look small and sleek in a way to me.

Also because im not planning on having any more kids any time soon, i just need space for the one.

Whats your opinion ? If you were in my shoes what would you personally do.

Thanks in advance

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - bathtub tom
So im looking at buying my first car. Im 27 years old,Married with my first child on the way.

I'd recommend you look at insurance premiums before deciding what car to buy. I presume you've never had insurance before? A one litre Yaris, or something similar might be your best bet.

Edited by bathtub tom on 20/01/2022 at 22:39

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - nellyjak

I'd stick with the Yaris....but I'm unashamedly biased...My Mrs. being on her 4th Yaris with never an issue.

Nowt wrong with Honda/Kia et al though....get the best you can find whatever the make/model

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - John F

SLO76 (above post) always gives the best advice to this sort of question. Most others just recommend what they drive themselves. My only possibly helpful contribution, prompted by your impending fatherhood, would be to get the estate version of whichever model you choose.

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - badbusdriver

Assuming the OP plans to stop (at least for a couple of years) with the one child, there is no need to get anything bigger than a Yaris (5 door).

But on top of the suggestions already given, I'd also put forward the Hyundai ix20 and Kia Venga (they are the same cars barring badges and some minor styling differences). Lots of space liberated in a small footprint due to being tall. Get the 1.4 or 1.6 petrol and they are very reliable. The higher seating positions will make it easier to get baby into and out of the car.

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - badbusdriver

I was wondering, besides these cars, ive also been looking at 2014/15 plate toyota yaris and im seeing that theyre selling for around the 6k mark.

Do you think its a good idea looking into buying one of these instead of the other recommended. The yaris i drive is a tad older around 2010. Ive never driven the newer shapes. Are they any good as i like the way they look. They look small and sleek in a way to me.

Also because im not planning on having any more kids any time soon, i just need space for the one.

Thanks in advance

The newer Yaris drives pretty similar your older one, so no worries there. It does look completely different though, so only you can decide whether you like its looks.

As I've already said, especially as you have now confirmed no imminent plans for another child, I don't think there is any need to get a bigger car. Looking on Autotrader, £8k is enough to get you into a 2016 Yaris 1.33 5door with less than 60k miles. It is all you need.

Toyota or honda - Help me buy my car ?? - Engineer Andy

Thanks in advance

The newer Yaris drives pretty similar your older one, so no worries there. It does look completely different though, so only you can decide whether you like its looks.

As I've already said, especially as you have now confirmed no imminent plans for another child, I don't think there is any need to get a bigger car. Looking on Autotrader, £8k is enough to get you into a 2016 Yaris 1.33 5door with less than 60k miles. It is all you need.

I'm wondering whwther the Yaris (perhaps only hybrid versions only?) is caught up in the Toyota/Lexus CAT theft issues? If it is, surely the cars would attract higher insurance premiums to cover the extra number of (expensive) claims.

Otherwise likely to be fuss-free cars, if rather expensive to buy because they are reliable and hardy over the long term.