What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car prices - swansea_karl

Still high or is there a hope of prices coming down?

Car prices - mcb100
New or used?
Car prices - swansea_karl

Used prices

Car prices - badbusdriver

Still high or is there a hope of prices coming down?

Not sure they are going any further up, but I don't think they are coming down. I have read that while the prices may ultimately come down a little, they won't come down much and certainly nothing like what they were.

Car prices - Xileno

When we discussed this recently the view seemed to be no sign of any decrease.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/159823/car-prices-...r

Car prices - sammy1

I have noticed that their are some discounts of the order of £2k on some Fords and Vauxhalls which may be an indicator of better times for the buyer

Car prices - Rerepo

Prices will come down in the medium term once supplies of critical components improve and factories start ramping up production. There is still global overcapacity (but a lot idle at the moment) and the Chinese will start to export in larger volumes. Countries like Vietnam and Indonesia also have aspirations.

Car prices - daveyK_UK
Depends on the manufacturer

Some are more successful than others at getting back to full production

Dacia / Renault / Nissan along with Toyota/ Lexus seem to be able to get stock within 12 weeks

Ford are miles behind, a real lack of cars available has seen dealers quote lead times as long as ‘early 2023’
For the past year Ford has been pushing customers to their most profitable vehicles which is the Puma which in turn has had the bulk of parts and semi conductors.
‘Buy the product with the biggest mark up and we can supply it within weeks’,

Most manufacturers will be back to full supply by the end of the year; when they feel the competition for sales heat up, then you will have your discounts.
The same is true for the PCP market in general; there have been very few if any PCP deals for over a year; some customers are starting to accept 5 - 6% interest as the norm.
This will change considerably by 2023.

I suppose Patience is required or you may get very fortunate with a pre reg deal if your not too fussy on spec/colour and willing to shop about.

Car prices - madf

When energy price rises start to hit, car sales will be limited by lack of buyers.

Then prices will fall... think late 2022/early 2023

Car prices - Zippy123
Ford are miles behind, a real lack of cars available has seen dealers quote lead times as long as ‘early 2023’ For the past year Ford has been pushing customers to their most profitable vehicles which is the Puma which in turn has had the bulk of parts and semi conductors. ‘Buy the product with the biggest mark up and we can supply it within weeks’,

Ford are flogging Transit vans. That's where their supplies are going. They make much more on a van than a car apparently.

Car prices - Engineer Andy

I have noticed that their are some discounts of the order of £2k on some Fords and Vauxhalls which may be an indicator of better times for the buyer

That might be more due to the relative 'rush' to buy new cars before the registration year (not the plate) changes on 1st Jan, including ones 'bought' by the dealer to bump up end-of-year sales figures to get a bonus and which are now being flogged at a discount as an 'ex-demo' or showroom car.

I think there's some time to go until the logitstics and chip shortages problems ease off enough and normal-ish times to resume once (hopefully) the pandemic peters out, as it now appears to be doing. Note that many other nations are some months behind us in that regard, so I suspect that the shortages and high prices will continue for the rest of the year.

I'd heard (some report, can't remember where though) of second hand prices being up to a third higher than at the start of 2020.

Car prices - daveyK_UK
A housing market crash which no doubt will be linked to energy price rises on top of inflation, increased taxes, etc and will push down car prices.

Car prices - Engineer Andy
A housing market crash which no doubt will be linked to energy price rises on top of inflation, increased taxes, etc and will push down car prices.

Good point - people will just keep their existing transport going and use the money to pay bills, extra taxes, higher food prices, etc. April should likely be the kicking off point in all this, given that's when the energy cap will be going up, and normally tax changes happen then as well.

Assuming worse doesn't come out of any possible military action from the Ruskies or Chinese in the coming weeks...

Car prices - Big John

I'd heard (some report, can't remember where though) of second hand prices being up to a third higher than at the start of 2020.

I'd agree from personal experience finding a car for my son November 2019 - just before Covid/ chip shortage. We found a nice 2016 Octavia which was just over 3 years old less than 20k miles for less than £8k. Two years later a similar 2016 Octavia with at least double the mileage is circa £10k

Car prices - nellyjak

Finally got around to getting a current online value for my wife's 2 year old Y20 bi-tone 1.5 Yaris with 10k miles....(just out of interest)

.....precisely £1000 more than we paid for it brand new 2 years ago.!

Car prices - catsdad

I am guessing you didn’t use this site’s pricing tool? It’s still underpricing by nearly 30% on my two cars compared to other sites. Despite this Ask HJ still suggests people use it to aid decision making.

Car prices - nellyjak

I am guessing you didn’t use this site’s pricing tool? It’s still underpricing by nearly 30% on my two cars compared to other sites. Despite this Ask HJ still suggests people use it to aid decision making.

No..used WBAC/Cinch...have no interest in selling...just curious I guess.

Car prices - Sulphur Man

As of Jan 2022, the average (sticker) price of a new car is £38K.

Used prices are up 23% on 2 years ago.

Start from there and work out what's within budget.

Car prices - thunderbird

We found a nice 2016 Octavia which was just over 3 years old less than 20k miles for less than £8k. Two years later a similar 2016 Octavia with at least double the mileage is circa £10k

In November 2019 we bought a April 2018 Fabia 1.0 TSi 110 PS with 10,000 miles. Ticket price was £9995. Just looked on Autotrader and the same spec cars with nearer 18,000 miles are priced at about £12,500. One car is priced at £11.295 which is undoubtably a good buy but its in plain white.

Got a bit lucky there.

Car prices - daveyK_UK
Ford to have further delays to some vehicles due to parts shortages; for some markets vehicles specs will be altered to reduce reliance on semi conductors
Car prices - smaxowner

My advice to anyone who can wait is to do so. The used car market will crash for one simple reason: the cost of living is rocketing. Expect this to hit the market in April once the effects are fully felt (including the NI increase) combined with increase in new car production. What goes up must come down and you may well see dealers go bust with overpriced stock they can’t shift.

Car prices - daveyK_UK
Be careful about only using the we buy any car valuation; it fluctuates considerably.

My car has fluctuated in value on their metric as much as £4K over the past 3 months; compared to rivals such as evans halshaw, Cazoo, etc the price valuations have fluctuated by a few hundred £’s.
Car prices - barney100

That's it in a nutshell, 'be still and see how the matter shall come about'. I appreciate every day me old Volvo keeps going.

Car prices - martin.mc

A couple of years ago it was possible to get a cheap used car with a long MOT for around £600. Now the price would be £1200 to £1500. A side effect of this is that it's now worth repairing older cars (pre 2007) and keeping them on the road longer.

Car prices - daveyK_UK
Correct Martin

Our local mechanic stated owners are happy to spend up to a grand to keep a older car on the road for another year where previously they would be scrapped.
The car he showed us was a 52 plate Focus getting welding work, new brake pipes, windscreen and some other bits to pass the MOT.
He said a few years ago it would have been scrapped without hesitation.

Car scrap prices are up both the metal value but also there is less available and scrap dealers are having to pay more to tempt sellers
Car prices - daveyK_UK
New Ford Fiesta wait times

Essentially the higher spec of Fiesta you want, the longer you wait.

Barely any discount on list prices (!) and earliest delivery for an order this week is July with the dealer suggesting it could be later but a car ordered this week should be ready for the 72 plate.

Unable to confirm delivery dates for Vignale trim