What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - chillcat9

im thinking of getting Aviva online car insurance but can't find out how far back Aviva ask for on claims history. I know direct line ask for three years and other places ask for five, but on their website it says "Our data shows that customers with recent driving convictions and claims, especially in the last four years, are more likely to be involved in an accident or make a claim, and their price will reflect this."

is anyone with Aviva online, or works for them, and can tell me how long they ask for no accidents or claims?

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - daveyjp

I'm with General Accident which is Aviva's online brand and its 5 years.

If you want to check Aviva go through the quote system and stop at that question.

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - Miniman777
It’s a rubbish statement and a get out to charge a higher price.
My daughter has driven for 11 years without a claim until someone gouged her rear wing when parked unattended on a street. She claimed as a new wing was needed.

I don’t see that one claim making her more susceptible to future claims. It’s all about how risk is perceived.
N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - thunderbird

We have made 7 claims over the last 35 years which is pretty much inevitable. Only one was our fault, the wife hit the wall at the front of the house reversing in, said she was distracted by a cat passing. Of the others in 3 we were hit up the rear when stationary at junctions, in another a van reversed into the front of us whilst we were stationary at lights (he had overshot the line), we had a car stolen, recovered and repaired and we had one broken into but nothing taken. In one I was hit by a motorcycle when I was stationary behind a car waiting to turn right. Motorcyclist was fine and rode off after exchanging details, my damage was to the drivers door mirror and side window with minor panel damage. 2 days later I was in hospital with severe eye pain, there was glass in it.

Had protected no-claims all this time so that has never been lost and on renewal we have never had a price increase more than the expected normal inflation figure. The odd one was the renewal after the car was stolen, the price dropped from just over £600 to about £400.

We do a search every year for a better deal and have changed companies a couple of times but I would think that we have been with Aviva for at least 25 of those 35 years.

Dad drove from the early 50's until 2014 and in that time he only had 5 claims. 2 were his fault, one was a break in when the stereo was stolen (early 90's) and the other 2 were being hit when the car was stationary. The last claim was when he was when he was in his mid 80's, his fault and was pretty substantial, I suspected the car would be written off, worth about £3000 and the bill came to almost £2000. His premium the year after that fell. Most of the time he used a local broker. last off he used Aviva.

So based on my own and dads experience I have never seen this mysterious loading after a claim.

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - Andrew-T

So based on my own and dads experience I have never seen this mysterious loading after a claim.

Well, you wouldn't (shouldn't) if your NCD was protected ? :-)

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - thunderbird

I agree but the fact is many say that their premiums have risen steeply after a claim even with protected NCB.

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - Heidfirst

Protected NCD protects the discount, it doesn't protect the base premium before discount..

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - brum

Strange question, standard insurance question is how many years NCD do you have and they will either ask for proof in the form of sending them your renewal schedule or an NCD declaration letter from your previous insurer usually to be seen/uploaded within 2-4 weeks of the policy starting. Note that "statements of facts" are not accepted.

Or, alternatively they will scan the insurance database and the DVLA database and if everything looks fine they take your word for it, UNTIL you make a claim when they require written proof.

My experience of AVIVA was they took driving licence details and simply took my word, with a statement the reserve the right to ask for proof of NCD in the future.

Similarly LV only asked for driving license details, they didn't IIRC ask for proof of NCD (not sure entirely) so maybe insurers maintain this information on the MIB database

Edited by brum on 20/01/2022 at 13:53

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - RT

Strange question, standard insurance question is how many years NCD do you have and they will either ask for proof in the form of sending them your renewal schedule or an NCD declaration letter from your previous insurer usually to be seen/uploaded within 2-4 weeks of the policy starting. Note that "statements of facts" are not accepted.

Or, alternatively they will scan the insurance database and the DVLA database and if everything looks fine they take your word for it, UNTIL you make a claim when they require written proof.

My experience of AVIVA was they took driving licence details and simply took my word, with a statement the reserve the right to ask for proof of NCD in the future.

Similarly LV only asked for driving license details, they didn't IIRC ask for proof of NCD (not sure entirely) so maybe insurers maintain this information on the MIB database

In many decades, I've only had one insurer ask for proof of NCD during the proposal process, the others just taking my word for it - I suspect though that all will demand that proof if/when I ever make a claim.

N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - Energyman
Just moved SWMBO’s insurance to Aviiva, when done online it confirmed NCD had been checked and confirmed.
Had been with L&V for years, quote went from £250 to £370 with slightly reduced mileage, Aviva wanted £230 for same cover.
Suspect my L&V policy will be going the same way in a few months.
N/A - anyone know about Aviva Online claims history? - movilogo

Typically insurers ask for 3-5 years of history. You don't have to provide anything prior to that period.

You can make a SAR [Subject Access Request] to MIB [Motor Insurance Bureau] to see what data they hold about you. Effectively this is what insurers can see about you.