What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - focussed

Well elonmusk having some buyers remorse. Last Feb had our Model Y in the SC ( service centre) for a month with no heat. New Super-manifold and thought it was fixed. New set of sensors last week and now this. -30c in #Saskatchewan and a very cold 1 hr drive later we barely made the supercharger

Trying to get home from holidays and my children dam near get frostbite. I am all in on the movement but your engineers need to understand our climate. Why not have a cold weather package that includes a supplemental resistive heater for extreme temps.

28 Dec 2021

If an #EV or a @Tesla cannot get places in winter than the detractors will see themselves as right, “they won’t work in extreme climates”. I hear it almost daily. You NEED to do better, period. I am not the only one having troubles.

Mark Kroeker

Mark Kroeker @paateach·28 Dec 2021

I’ve gone out of my way to be a @Tesla/#EV warrior where I live in South East Saskatchewan, the heart of oil and coal county. I get ridiculed for going EV, sometimes harassed. I am kinda at a loss, considering throwing in the towel, thinking of selling and going back to ICE

but I’m beginning to believe it’s not capable of winters in the Canadian prairies. A sight I am becoming all too familiar with.

Update to the story: our vehicle has been repaired by Tesla. The Supermanifold was replaced for a second time, which I believe includes a new third set of sensors, new expansion valves, & new A/C refrigerant lines. Thus far the heat is on and I’ve been assured it is repaired.

Mark Kroeker 8 Jan

During the last few days, I have approached @Tesla management with my case and asked for my vehicle to be bought back. I presented my case which was the $75k vehicle I purchased was not fully functional for our prairie climate within reasonable expectations.

Mark Kroeker·

8 Jan

My concerns included the car could have unforeseen damage to the battery pack due to a malfunctioning HP ( heat pump) for well over a year, unsafe to drive in winter never knowing when it will quit again, among others too.

Mark Kroeker 8 Jan

My concerns were listened to then politely explained away with technical explanations and corporate policies. I was told the only thing I could receive was trade in value as any other customer.

Very much summed up by this classic Simpson’s quote: "Wille hears ya - Willie don't care"

From the twittersphere.

twitter.com/paateach/status/1475639641134878726

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - Andrew-T

As one with a scientific background who managed to keep a car running in Alberta and Ontario for three years (back in the 60s) I would start from the assumption that any battery will struggle at -20°C or below. Batteries are simply less able to do anything at those temps - compared with what we usually consider 'normal'.

As one with a scientific background who managed to keep a car running in Alberta and Ontario for three years (back in the 60s) I would start from the assumption that any battery will struggle at -20°C or below. Batteries are simply less able to do anything at those temps - compared with what we usually consider 'normal'.

Tesla is just California dreaming, it never gets that cold there.

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - Metropolis.
From a bit further down:

Replying to
@paateach
and
@elonmusk
When my grandparents traveled with a horse and sleigh they had a metal box they could put hot coals in. They used that to keep their feet warm. Pack some blankets and candles and pick up some hand warmers. That should be a standard winter package with an EV.

LOL!

Assuming that was in Canada? Yes I read that about Canada in a book called Farmer's Glory by A G Street, but then it described as hot stones to keep their feet warm.

A good book as a lot of the old ones are.

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - Andrew-T

Assuming that was in Canada? Yes I read that about Canada in a book called Farmer's Glory by A G Street, but then it described as hot stones to keep their feet warm.

In the late Victorian era, well before British trains had any sort of heating, passengers could hire foot warmers. I think they contained sodium acetate, or some crystalline chemical which melted/froze at a suitable temperature. So it was molten when you hired it and the temp remained until it all froze. Neat, but a bit of a hassle for management.

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - badbusdriver

Other than the normal range being reduced by between a third and a half depending on just how cold it is, this first gen Leaf manages just fine in -40 C (YouTube clip).

watch

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - John F

Owing to my ectomorphism (I lack the fat accumulation gene which evolved around 50k yrs ago to enable human survival beyond the tropics), a good car heater is essential. Thanks to the clever design of our Peugeot's 1.2 puretech engine (exhaust manifold integral to cylinder head), it blows hot air after the first mile or so even on frosty mornings.

That's the advantage of being an endomorph - I create lots of body heat so I feel perfectly happy in my Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 type S which takes about 3 to 4 km to give heat from the heater!

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - Engineer Andy

Other than the normal range being reduced by between a third and a half depending on just how cold it is, this first gen Leaf manages just fine in -40 C (YouTube clip).

watch

Unfortunately (according to John Cadogan) the mk1 Leaf isn't so good when the weather gets hot, as the batteries don't have an active cooling system. Probably why they are better suited to colder climates?

Tesla Y - Tesla frosty in the Canada cold. - kiss (keep it simple)

Makes sense. Temperate British climate is ideal. What I find impressive is how any car's electronics seem to function in these extreme temperatures, -30 to +50 Celsius in continental climates.