What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Ceed - Technology and Driver Conveniences - ifekas

I’ve had my 2018 Ceed for a month now and even though it is the same level of trim as my previous car, in eight years there have been so many additions of ‘driver conveniences’.

Most of them are neither here nor there in improving the driving experience to me, for example auto dipping mirrors and auto lights and wipers, but others more useful such as Apple CarPlay.

Favourite: I used to think of the fog lights coming on when cars were going round corners and parking a bit gimmicky, but I am finding this useful.

Annoying: I have never found the lane assist feature so far has made my driving any safer but it is frequently warning and ‘correcting’ my behaviour. I’ve read that there might be implications to insurance if I turn the feature off? I suppose it’s part of the system that does collision avoidance so I'm not complaining but just don't find it any use.

Another surprising thing for me was how easy it is to live with the start stop system, though it does seem to encourage the American style of driving of always keeping your foot on the brakes when stationary; I was taught to put the car in neutral if at a a standstill for any length of time to avoid dazzling the driver behind - but that’s showing my age!

It’s interesting that the manufacturers don’t necessarily follow the good ideas of other manufacturers. When I have driven Renaults the feature where if you squirt the screen wash and there is a few second delay before the last wipe which clears away the inevitable drips from above the screen is not there on the KIA.

Kia Ceed - Technology and Driver Conveniences - badbusdriver

Annoying: I have never found the lane assist feature so far has made my driving any safer but it is frequently warning and ‘correcting’ my behaviour. I’ve read that there might be implications to insurance if I turn the feature off? I suppose it’s part of the system that does collision avoidance so I'm not complaining but just don't find it any use.

Our current and last car have had lane assist and while I do think it is a worthwhile feature, when driving on narrow single carriageway roads, as I often do, they can be a pain. In some places you have no option but to cross the centre line as the road is just not wide enough!.

You could be right, but I'm not sure how this info could be found out?. If you switch the car off and then start it again, most will default to having things like lane assist and stop start on. So unless the car has some sort of built in memory to show whether the lane assist was off, the only way this could be found out would be if the car wasn't switched off.

Personally, I just leave it on, if for no other reason that the warning which shows on the dashboard permanently if it is switched off is much more irritating and distracting than the occasional warning flashing up on the screen along with a buzz from the wheel.

It’s interesting that the manufacturers don’t necessarily follow the good ideas of other manufacturers. When I have driven Renaults the feature where if you squirt the screen wash and there is a few second delay before the last wipe which clears away the inevitable drips from above the screen is not there on the KIA.

We have had cars in the past that have done this but I can't remember which (not a Renault though, we've never had), and it is very useful.

Kia Ceed - Technology and Driver Conveniences - movilogo

My Ceed does not have LKA. I switched off auto light and wiper. Never found them useful.

My car has turning light but that is a separate light in front headlight cluster. This illuminates side of road upon steering turning. I find this useful.

Kia Ceed - Technology and Driver Conveniences - Grenache

Yes, that's useful. But more useful still is when you squirt the screen wash the wipers don't start moving immediately. Viery useful on a dusty screen where using the wipers dry would score it. If the water is there first before the wipers start then this problem doesn't occur.