What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - halmereincarnated
1. Really?
2. Owner expectations?
3. Lack of tech kit to go wrong in the first place?

Must admit I’m very surprised.
Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - Xileno

2 and 3 certainly play a part but I would add a 4th - mileage. A Sandero will be doing less distance than a typical repmobile in a year.

Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - SLO76
Less technology so less to go wrong plus most buyers are low mileage users who’re coming out of older used cars.

We found this with the Mitsubishi based Protons we sold. Customers were more contented and less likely to complain than those who bought Mitsubishi’s.
Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - Engineer Andy

James May will be pleased.

Good news
Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - 72 dudes

And in the same article, the BMW 1 series (2011 to 2019) was the most reliable family hatch, while the Honda Civic (2017 on) was the least reliable.

The new 1 series was the third most reliable car in that category

Meanwhile the least reliable brands overall yet again were Land Rover and Fiat.

Edited by 72 dudes on 22/12/2021 at 18:31

Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - daveyK_UK
I am more shocked they considered a 1 series a small family car unless it’s a family of 2!
Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - badbusdriver
I am more shocked they considered a 1 series a small family car unless it’s a family of 2!

In fairness, the current 1 series (I'm assuming that is what we are talking about?) is front wheel drive and has more conventional proportions. Not as spacious as the best in class, but not too bad and heaps better than the rear wheel drive cars!.

Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - barney100

SIL just exchanged a Land Rover sport of 2017 vintage as a bill of £5k quoted when an engine warning came on. Mate bought a Freelander of 2004 vintage he saw for sale in someone's drive and paid a few hundred £ 10months ago and it's been fine, no rhyme or reason it seems.

And in the same article, the BMW 1 series (2011 to 2019) was the most reliable family hatch, while the Honda Civic (2017 on) was the least reliable.

I'd still say it's rather subjective, given that Honda owners have rightly demanded bulletproof reliability in return for parting with hefty amounts of £££ to buy them and in more recent years (turbo-petrol era) the current crop of Hondas are probably no better than the middle of the pack, thus owners rightly complain more than most.

The new 1 series was the third most reliable car in that category

Meanwhile the least reliable brands overall yet again were Land Rover and Fiat.

Other than diesel-related issues, I'd put good money on the results being skewed by historial expectations combined with the amount of toys the cars have on board.

13 week wait for a new Sandero, 14 weeks for a Sandero stepway, Duster 10 weeks
Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - catsdad

I am not surprised Honda is slipping. There are reports worldwide about oil dilution on 1.5 petrols and cambelt failures on the 1.0. I think someone on here had a quote for a major bill for the routine cambelt change on the small engine.

Honda’s switch to Chinese production over UK has seen standards plummet. I personally wouldn’t buy a recent Honda. They badly need to get a grip on their dealer network too who are notorious for overcharging and offering poorly prepared and badly maintained cars as so-called approved used. They’re certainly not worthy of the premium prices expected in the UK. Sales will continue to drop.
Honda’s switch to Chinese production over UK has seen standards plummet. I personally wouldn’t buy a recent Honda. They badly need to get a grip on their dealer network too who are notorious for overcharging and offering poorly prepared and badly maintained cars as so-called approved used. They’re certainly not worthy of the premium prices expected in the UK. Sales will continue to drop.

Let's hope things improve and don't go the way of Honda Australia (see John Cadogan YT videos for more), which is to say how Holden (GM/Vauxhall Down Under) went in the last years prior to their demise.

Sales in both countries now being taken by KIA and Hyundai. I also cannot think of one selling point for any current Honda (not that they have much of a range to sell in the UK these days) - even for the Jazz, given it is very expensive for what it is.

I must admit it was the high prices for maintenance that put me off (even more than the cost of purchase of the car) back in the day in 2005/6 when I considered getting a new / nearly new Civic 3dr or Jazz before going for a Mazda3.

Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - Steveieb

Checking the VIN plates on several Jazz it looks like they are built in Japan. Wasn’t this the plan when all the models went hybrid ?

Bring production back to the main plant rather than regional differences and local production ?

The current Jazz is fantastic; it’s expensive but you can tell your driving a well engineered car.

It probably makes the most sense on a PCP

Dacia Sandero - What Car most reliable small car - madf

Checking the VIN plates on several Jazz it looks like they are built in Japan. Wasn’t this the plan when all the models went hybrid ?

Bring production back to the main plant rather than regional differences and local production ?

Yes.

The Mark 3 Jazz was made in Mexico.. standards were poor. So now all Japanese made for Europe.