What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - VengaPete

My elderly neighbour lost his wife a few months ago and is now looking to sell their car as he isn't allowed to drive anymore (medical reasons). He's asked me if I know what it is worth.

It's that unicorn of a car that has genuine low miles and has been looked after by its owners.
It's the 1.0 Auto flavour with 3700 miles (yes, 3700 not 37000).
Not sure on trim level, but its the silver colour.
MOT history is a broken horn in 2015 and a cut tyre in 2019. That's it. No other advisories or failures in its lifetime.
I believe it has some service history.
Mot due Feb 2022.
Registered 18th Feb 2011

From doing some checking its a chain cam / torque converter combination so presumably super reliable.

I've done a WBAC check and they reckon £3300
I've done an Autotrader search and a similar 2011 with 13K miles is up for £4995 at dealer.

So bearing in mind the frankly ridiculous second hand prices at present and that its a unicorn of a car, for a private sale, I reckon around £4k is fair but what would you pay?

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - madf

£2k tops.

It may be very rusty.

In a normal world it might have 2 years life left.. But this is not a normal world and car prices of SH cars are stupid.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - sammy1

I would sell it to WBAC at this price with no come backs

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - badbusdriver

If trying to sell privately for 4k, i`d suggest getting a fresh MOT as nobody will be keen on something with 2 months ticket on it.

Re prices, there is a 2013 example on Autotrader with 8k miles for 7.5k!.

As for trim, only the top of the range SZ4 was available as an auto.

But unless the neighbour needs as much as possible from the sale, I`d also take the path of least resistance with WBAC.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - SLO76
If you can get £3,000 or more from WBAC rip their arm off. You won’t get more in a private sale.
Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - catsdad

Even in normal times small autos command a good premium over manuals. I too would sell to WBAC or the like but they will price it down for incomplete service history. I wonder if there has been full disclosure on the servicing in getting the offer already received. Some gaps are expected in an old low miles car but they just work to a set of algorithms and will price accordingly.

When I have played about with these sites Cazoo has offered more than WBAC so it’s worth trying more than one site.

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - SLO76
Call local dealers and offer it to them stating WBAC’s price to see if they’ll better it. I’ve often sold retailable cars in this way. It’s easy stock for them, saves them auction fees and delivery. If I bought in a car that was worth over £4,000 I’d offer it to a couple of local dealers I knew and they’d usually pay good money, giving me a quick and easy profit without any hassle.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/12/2021 at 09:09

Suzuki Alto - Suzuki Alto 1.0L Auto 2011 - 3700 miles - price? - Andrew-T

It's that unicorn of a car that has genuine low miles and has been looked after by its owners.
MOT history is a broken horn in 2015 and a cut tyre in 2019.

For a moment I thought this was a reference to the unicorn .... :-))

It's about the worst time of year to try and sell - wait till 2022 with a fresh MoT.

Edited by Andrew-T on 12/12/2021 at 09:22