What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Automatic car with EPB advice please - MintySword

Hi there. I'd like recommendations for my next car please?

I'm looking for an automatic estate car with an electronic parking brake. I have become disabled this past year and no longer have the strength to use a handbrake or clutch. It also needs to be an estate so my electric wheelchair will fit in the boot. Ideally it needs to be ULEZ compliant too. My budget is up to £8k and I'd like a car less than six years old.

I've been searching online but have found it impossible to filter searches for EPBs so I'm hoping for some help on here.

I know EPBs aren't popular amongst those who like to fix their own cars so perhaps if any of you are avoiding these you could share the Make, Model and Year?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Minty

Automatic car with EPB advice please - SLO76

Ideal car would be the Toyota Avensis 1.8 Estate CVT, however the madness of current pricing means you won’t get one the age you want for anything like the money you want to spend.

I bought a 2010 example with 73,000 miles up for £4150 in a private sale over three years ago yet here’s one with low miles at a main dealer, the same age as mine was for £11,500!!!!!! Things have gone absolutely mad. No way would I pay money like that for it.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110108334991

To find one under 6yrs old you’d need to find another £9/£10k at today’s crazy prices.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110148480079

Edited by SLO76 on 07/11/2021 at 23:12

Nice Subaru but again daft money and while these are very reliable they are expensive for parts and usually hard to sell on.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110118362370

The bulk of the petrol auto estates i can find for your money are either high mileage or they’re saddled with an unreliable automated manual gearbox such as VW’s DSG as used in the Golf or Passat estate and as such isn’t recommended as a used buy. There’s loads of Focus estate autos but they use the notoriously fragile Powershift gearbox and they all have a manual handbrake. Unfortunately something will have to give, either you’ll have to put more money in or accept a much older car.

Spotted this in a private sale. Looks very decent but much caution needs to be taken in a private sale as there’s no comeback but then there’s more room for negotiation too. Again it’s horrendously overpriced but that seems to be the way at the moment. A friend bought a 61 plate Insignia in a private sale with just under 100k up for £1,000 before the COVID tax took hold.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202110288999278

Edited by SLO76 on 07/11/2021 at 23:31

Automatic car with EPB advice please - badbusdriver

How about the Vauxhall Meriva?. Not an estate car, but you should have no issues getting a wheelchair in the boot, especially as the rear seats slide. EPB, reliable t/c auto and a pretty reliable (though apparently not that efficient) 1.4 turbo petrol. Not that many available within that budget, but 10 are showing (2013-2015) on Autotrader up to £8k. Here is a one owner 2015 car in the higher SE trim level.

No idea if these are ULEZ compliant though.

How about the Vauxhall Meriva?. Not an estate car, but you should have no issues getting a wheelchair in the boot, especially as the rear seats slide. EPB, reliable t/c auto and a pretty reliable (though apparently not that efficient) 1.4 turbo petrol. Not that many available within that budget, but 10 are showing (2013-2015) on Autotrader up to £8k. Here is a one owner 2015 car in the higher SE trim level.

No idea if these are ULEZ compliant though.

Zafira too, the 1.4 turbo petrol auto is perfectly decent but again prices have soared. Both are ULEZ compliant.
Automatic car with EPB advice please - John F

If/when you eventually get one, only use it if not parked on level or nearly level ground. The P position is perfectly adequate for keeping the car immobile. Infrequent use will prolong its life, as I think they are quite expensive to repair.

Automatic car with EPB advice please - RT

If/when you eventually get one, only use it if not parked on level or nearly level ground. The P position is perfectly adequate for keeping the car immobile. Infrequent use will prolong its life, as I think they are quite expensive to repair.

Wrong - infrequent use will lead to premature seizure.

Automatic car with EPB advice please - catsdad

Not using it would mean switching off the autohold function and operating the handbrake switch manually. Releasing the handbrake then requires you to press the foot brake while operating the switch. At least it does in my Golf and and a courtesy Civic I used. This means as you release the handbrake you are triggering the brake lights.

This may not apply to some older cars?

Automatic car with EPB advice please - RichT54

I've had EPBs on several vehicles including Audi, Honda and Toyota. I used it all the time when parking and had no problems with any of them.

Automatic car with EPB advice please - MintySword

Wow! So many responses in such a short amount of time! Thank you everyone.

I guess it doesn't need to be an estate - it's more important that there is only a small (or no) boot sill. I'm also now considering cars a bit older than before to fit within my budget.

I'm having a look at the Vauxhall Meriva and Zafira and these seem like good options.

Any idea when it might change to more of a buyers market than a sellers market?

“ Any idea when it might change to more of a buyers market than a sellers market?”

Not anytime soon, we lost almost a years production thanks to Covid and now there’s shortages of microchips slowing things plus the switch to electric is forcing up the cost of new cars entering the market which all in turn are inflating used car values. It’s a toxic combination for buyers.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/11/2021 at 16:17

Automatic car with EPB advice please - Heidfirst

I'm also now considering cars a bit older than before to fit within my budget.

1 advantage of the aforementioned Avensis is that they will now warrant them up until 10 years under the Relax program (subject to the t&cs) www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

I should probably 'fess up that I drive an Avensis 1.8 estate (manual though). ;)

Automatic car with EPB advice please - barney100

My Volvo V70 has the electric brake which deactivates itself, no hassle to use.