What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - Ethan Edwards

Just thought I'd make a note of how it's going so far... well 22nd Sep I took delivery of my Electric car. Coincidentally my home charge point was also installed on the 22nd. Its been super easy to live with. Mild concern the other day. I'd set off in the morning without a full charge drove 36 miles to work. Then driving home I'm getting to 50plus pct charge on the A12 and I get caught up in a jam caused by a multi car shunt. So I'm sitting there 90mins looking at the power gauge and the est range figure and I'm concerned. Well turns out I used next to nothing extra false alarm. Got home with over 50pct remaining. Sadly the small car in the Transit sandwich we crawled past looked very bad indeed.

I read to maximise battery longevity, only charge when necessary and try to keep the level between 80pct and 20pct. So that's the goal. Some advice from the dealer or the manual would have been good.... Oh I recently checked the tyre pressures. The dealer had them at 48psi the manual says 36psi so lowered them. Seems smoother. Checked under the bonnet..not much to do there just top up the screen wash. Done 1100 miles next service 12000 so a way to go. All my charging has been at home so no issues with availability. Other than that it's been surprisingly easy . A neighbour has expressed a lot of interest and is thinking about doing this but hasn't a parking space near a power supply. So I guess the dynamics aren't as clear cut if you have to rely on public chargers. Work colleagues interested but think it'll be a few years yet before they consider a bev. Me I'm waiting for my first post car power bill !

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - Wee Willie Winkie

I wonder what they do at this 12,000 mile service, given there's not much to actually service?

Tesla doesn't have a schedule as such, just cabin filter change, brake fluid check and suspension/brake checkover every 24 months.

I don't think I could go back to petrol/diesel now I've had very.nearly a year.with an electric car.

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - badbusdriver

I know EV's are heavy, but even so, 48psi seems a bit high. The GVW on my Caddy van is around 2200kg and the recommended pressure (for a heavy load) on the rear is 44psi and 36psi on the front.

On another point, I watched a YouTube clip the other day of a guy in Regina Canada 'starting' his first gen Nissan Leaf in -42 C(!). Absolutely no issues, he goes out, car is completely defrosted and warm inside, he gets in and drives off. Range is 60km though (he says it is usually 110km).

Yeah 48 is way too high. Rear only at full load is 46, my half load is 36 all round. Set it to 38 as I always run a couple of extra psi over.

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - Falkirk Bairn

A son went to the US F1 Grand Prix last Sunday.

131 miles from home - his EV is rated to do 280 on a full charge.

He took the X5 as he had no idea about charging point availability considering the crowds.

Normal use is OK, charges at home 6p roughly for a KWh, as against 20p I will pay from tomorrow up from 14/15p that I pay today.

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - sammy1

There is an interesting read on the Sky Headlines about a reporter taking an EV to the COP26 Well worth a look.

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - Steveieb

Interesting that in its survey of EV s Which magazine gives the Tesla a “Don’t buy” because of reliability problems. All the other players score well.

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - Wee Willie Winkie

"Interesting that in its survey of EV s Which magazine gives the Tesla a “Don’t buy” because of reliability problems."

I won't deny Tesla does have some concerns, but they're mainly little niggly things. The difference between Tesla and other manufacturers is after sales care is like night and day. Rangers who come to your house or work to fix stuff. Service centres who bend over backwards to help. Over the air updates to fix and improve things.

My climate control stopped pumping out heat when the car was two months old. Reported via the app, within a few hours I had a phone call from Tesla who advised they were pushing through a software update and patch to me. One download and reboot later and all was good.

To rate Tesla a "Don't buy" is wildly uninformed and out of touch. Then again, it is Which?!

Mokka E - Moving to BEV - no second car no backup. - mcb100
‘There is an interesting read on the Sky Headlines about a reporter taking an EV to the COP26 Well worth a look.’

I think I’m doing exactly the same thing on Friday. I shall report on its uneventfulness.

Edited by mcb100 on 31/10/2021 at 19:53

Check tyres, check brake fluid, check seatbelts, lights wipers etc it's 70quid a year. Won't be a lot for that at main dealer prices.