What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - ZoeZin

I'm looking at options to replace my 2011 Polo automatic, which I have owned from new. Never had any issues with it, but my commute now involves the motorway and I feel a little vulnerable in the Polo in terms of safety/performance/reliability. Looking for another automatic and a Honda Jazz has been suggested based on reliability, higher driving position and roominess, but having test driven a couple I'm not wholly convinced. Started out with a budget of £12k, but found it was quickly moving up to £14k+. If paying that sort of amount I am wondering if there are better options out there? Any advice gratefully considered!

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - FoxyJukebox

Based on what's written here and your budget-I would narrow it down to a used car with a balance of a longish manufacturer's guarantee. Have a look at the Kia range ( 7 year guarantee)-you'd get a nearly new one for £14000

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - Falkirk Bairn

up to 10 year Toyota warranty if it is serviced annually by a Toyota outlet.

Even buying a 2 year old car which had a full 5 year warranty it will extend it to 10 years!

Thank you so much, I wasn't aware Toyota are now offering this. Based on this and the feedback on here maybe a Yaris is a good option?

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - badbusdriver

A bit more info needed methinks?.

my commute now involves the motorway and I feel a little vulnerable in the Polo in terms of safety/performance/reliability

What do you mean by this?.

Safety: the Polo was a very safe small car in its day, and while it wouldn't fare as well in the Euro NCAP crash tests today, that has more to do with a lack of 'driver aids' (auto braking, blind spot monitoring etc) rather than how well the structure stands up in an actual crash.

Performance: a 2011 Polo auto will have either an 85bhp 1.4 or a 105bhp 1.2TSI. Even the 1.4 will do nearly 110mph and get to 60mph from rest in a touch over 11 seconds. No ball of fire getting up to speed granted, but perfectly capable of maintaining the legal limit and above.

Reliability: you say you have owned the car for 10 years and had no issues with it, so why do you think it is going to start having problems now?.

Also, your comments on the Jazz don't really tell us anything helpful, what specifically do you not like about it?. Without knowing that (or what your worries are with regard to your Polo), it is difficult to point you in the right direction.

Thank you so much, I wasn't aware Toyota are now offering this. Based on this and the feedback on here maybe a Yaris is a good option?

A Yaris is a very good option. But in terms of size, shape and layout, quite a similar car to the Jazz (also a very good option), which you don't seem keen on.

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - SLO76
In order to gain greater refinement and a little more stability at speed I’d move up a class, the Yaris won’t even be as refined as the Polo you’re leaving behind but it would be utterly reliable. I’d look at the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol auto, Mazda CX3 2.0 Skyactiv auto, Toyota Auris 1.2T CVT or Auris 1.8 Hybrid. A previous gen Honda Civic 1.8 auto would be a worthy bet too.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/10/2021 at 19:01

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - Xileno

I think I would keep the Polo. It's obviously been a good one and with the correct maintenance it should still give good service.

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - SLO76
I would get shot of the Polo. You’ve been very lucky with it but the DSG gearbox has a poor reputation for long term reliability, it’s only a matter of time before it fails. I’d try a Mazda 3 which uses a very robust torque converter transmission with no real vices to be concerned about. Your Polo is also due a timing belt every 5 years which I assume is due its second change which will cost £300/£400 with water pump.

Not sure about that. I am no fan of the DSG box, but the cars 10 years and has given the OP no issues. If it drives the same as it always has, I see no reason to suspect a failure is imminent.

As nice as the Mazda is, with used car prices as they are, not to mention lack of choice due to being a relatively scarce car, there will be no bargains to be had. With a £14k budget, on Autotrader (nationwide) there are two 2018 examples (one of which has done 72k miles), two 2017 cars and four 2016 cars. I'm guessing the OP would be hoping/expecting something younger for the money!.

If the OP is looking for a bigger car than a Polo size, I'd be looking at that perennial underdog, the Astra. Also using a reliable torque converter auto, but hooked up to a much more muscular (than the Mazda 3) 1.4 turbo petrol. Probably not as reliable overall than the Mazda, but certainly not unreliable. Comfortable and refined on the motorway with plenty of power and decent economy. The OP's £14 can get into a car as young as 2019 (one of), then there are twenty 2018 cars, so a decent amount of choice.

Another possibility if the OP fancies a brand new car is the Dacia Sandero. The 1.0 turbo has only a little more power and torque (*) than a 1.4 Polo, though being a turbo, that torque will come in at lower revs. Although it sits in the same class of car as the Polo, the Sandero is bigger in every way than the OP's 2011 Polo. Brand new Sandero Comfort's (CVT auto) are being advertised on Autotrader from just over £13k. That come as standard with a 3 year/60k mile warranty, which is not especially generous, but for £650 that can be extended to 6 years/100k.

(*) The torque seems to have been dialled back a bit for the CVT compared to the manual.

Edited by badbusdriver on 24/10/2021 at 10:18

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - Engineer Andy

I'm looking at options to replace my 2011 Polo automatic, which I have owned from new. Never had any issues with it, but my commute now involves the motorway and I feel a little vulnerable in the Polo in terms of safety/performance/reliability. Looking for another automatic and a Honda Jazz has been suggested based on reliability, higher driving position and roominess, but having test driven a couple I'm not wholly convinced. Started out with a budget of £12k, but found it was quickly moving up to £14k+. If paying that sort of amount I am wondering if there are better options out there? Any advice gratefully considered!

What was it about the test drive in the Jazz (which version was it BTW) that you weren't convinced about? This may have an impact on alternatives we may suggest.

It would also be helpful to give us some more details. e.g. estimated mileage per year, how much room you need for passengers and boot space (perfectly ok to say your current car is fine in that respect), any other specific requirements (I presume an auto is a pre-requisite?).

Note that a smallish car will, to many people appear 'vulnerable' on busy, faster-moving roads alongside HGVs - even larger cars will obviously come off far worse if involved in an accident with one, even the latest cars with all the crash protection equipment.

MPVs and other higher-sided cars - to some extent like the Jazz, will feel less stable at high speed or when cornering at higher speeds than traditional cars, which are less susceptible to being caught in gusts of wind and have a lower centre of gravity and thus are more stable when in motion.

Higher-side cars can give a more commanding view of the road, but at the expense of handling/stability (which will impact safety to some degree, though not perhaps as much as it used to), performance, mpg, and noise for the same engine size and base design.

Dear all - thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

My Polo is the 1.4 version, 3 doors. Space-wise, it is OK, but you're right it does make me feel vulnerable amongst the HGVs. Would now like 5 doors for easier access for passengers. Mileage, average 8k/year. Current commute 35 miles round trip and split 50/50 local roads/stop-start and M25 (which can also be stop-start!).

The Jazzes have been the EX, 1.3 model. I knew I wouldn't get any more 'ooopmh' from one, but they just felt they were a bit 'lightweight' versus the Polo and I wouldn't gain much more than lots of driver's aids for the money.

Have just test driven one of the suggestions above, Toyota Auris hybrid - that felt much more robust at speed. A good option. For the Mazdas there just don't seem to be many around in my price range.

Replacement for 10 year old VW Polo (auto) - Metropolis.

I suspect part of the problem is the car feels so light and possibly a little bit tinny with the amount of road and wind noise coming through. As someone who has always driven body on frame vehicles with the stresses being picked up by the chassis and then having to go through rubber bushings before it reaches the monocoque sitting on top, I find most normal monocoque cars have a lot more tyre noise and don't feel so planted on the motorway. I'm old fashioned though and if they had made them in RHD, i'd be driving a Ford Crown Victoria now.

A Jazz is not going to improve things, they are good cars with tardis like dimensions, but they lack refinement. As others have said, try going for something like an Auris as it will be a step above, or if you can reach it, an Avensis, like this one

www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/used-car/toyota/avensi...0