What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - _

Down at the Kia dealer, taking the Sportage in for a safety recall, and was offered £200 less than I paid for it as a PX aginst a new stonic,2 .

Slightly smaller than the Sportage, which has done sterling service.

Nippy little engine, I see what others say abot the VAG 3 pots (and others)

Cam chain design,, appreciated the Lane keep assist on the test drive, mix of A12 and local roads.

I wasn't really intending to change, Sportage has been superb, and net cost to change was pocket money. but, as said in another thread, all new tyres, brakes, etc etc, free mats, 2 years free servicing, and a FULL size steel wheel and correct tyre thrown in. plus rac + cover inc europe.

I'll report later.

ORB

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/09/2021 at 04:11

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - Trilogy.

No brainer. Looking forward to your first impressions. BTW, are you nocturnal?

BTW, are you nocturnal?

Young rover girl is presently in canada, so sleep times are disturbed., but yes am an early riser anyway., normally about 5.30-6.oo

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - movilogo

Slightly smaller than the Sportage,

Isn't the Stonic lot smaller than Sportage?

Sorento > Sportage > Niro > Ceed > Stonic/Rio > Picanto

Big enough for 2 of us...

Besides. I quite liked our rio 1.25 spec 2 bought in 2014...

KIA RIO

Check another vehicle

Colour Blue

Fuel type Petrol

Date registered 27 September 2013

MOT valid until 26 September 2021

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.

If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested 10 September 2020 Pass

View test certificate

Mileage 39,639 miles

MOT test number 4156 5655 0689

Test location View test location

Expiry date 26 September 2021

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Driver's view to the front outside the swept area of the windscreen wipers restricted by an obstruction (3.1 (a) (i))
  • Offside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
What are defects and advisories?

Date tested 5 September 2019 Pass

View test certificate

Mileage 36,649 miles

MOT test number 9532 6633 0485

Expiry date 26 September 2020

Date tested 18 September 2018 Pass

View test certificate

Mileage 32,180 miles

MOT test number 3271 9498 0265

Expiry date 26 September 2019

The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018

Defects are now categorised according to their severity – dangerous, major, and minor. Find out more

Date tested 18 September 2017 Pass

Mileage 28,387 miles

MOT test number 9024 1252 0016

Expiry date 26 September 2018

Date tested 10 September 2016 Pass

Mileage 24,294 miles

MOT test number 4061 8041 0631

Expiry date 26 September 2017

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/09/2021 at 14:15

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - paul 1963

ORB, your car, your money but it seems a step backwards to me despite the deal being offered.

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - badbusdriver

ORB, your car, your money but it seems a step backwards to me despite the deal being offered.

In what way?

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - 72 dudes

In what way?

In no way.

Actually it would have been rude not to.

You may notice the bumps a bit more being a smaller car and not known for its ride quality.

I had a Hyundai Kona as a hire car a couple of years back, horrible crashy ride.

In what way?

In no way.

Actually it would have been rude not to.

You may notice the bumps a bit more being a smaller car and not known for its ride quality.

I had a Hyundai Kona as a hire car a couple of years back, horrible crashy ride.

IThe ride didn't feel any worse than the sportage, and the steering was less inclined to wander, Lane keep assist helping, methinks. it was a good bit of A12, A120 and local roads and the roads were not in the best of health, but from memory better than the ZS MG. I have a 300 mile drive lined up next weekend, so we'll see.

The Stonic certainly was criticised for its ride when it first came out. But first, this was more pronounced on higher spec cars with bigger wheels, second, the car has been facelifted since then.

The only other criticism I've regularly read about the Stonic is the rear seat and boot space, but that is only a problem if you need more space than it offers. If you've bought one and that is the case, it would be your fault, not the cars!. Actual capacity can of course hide a poorly shaped boot, but 350 litres is the same as that Tardis of the small car world, the Jazz, and is going to be fine for ORB and his good lady.

Where the Stonic will stand well above the Sportage is the turbo engine. The 1.6GDI Sportage offers up a relatively meagre (for that size of car) 161NM of torque at a highish 4850RPM. The Stonic 1.0 turbo, in its least powerful 100bhp guise (the Sportage GDI has 132bhp), makes 172NM of torque from only 1500RPM. That is going to make it feel more relaxed, is going to make it faster in 'normal driving' (i.e, not caning it) and will make it easier to overtake should you choose to.

I thought the 3 pot went well, very early days, as they let me drive the actual model i am buying, so It'll be me responsible for running it in...

Did a vin check and it is indeed a 2022 model, so am happy with that.

Edited by _ORB_ on 04/10/2021 at 19:30

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - Chris79
Good on you ORB. 750£ to change the car seems to make a lot of sense. Granted it’s a smaller car but if you don’t need the space what’s the issue?

I’ve driven neither but I can’t help but feel the new car will be nicer to drive with that engine.

Kia have come a long way. I’m not to far from you (co9) postcode and I remember our nearest Kia dealer being based out of a glorified shed flogging Kia prides. That was only 20 years ago and I’m led to believe the glass place they have now at the top of the a120 is now the biggest Kia dealer in the country.

Hope you enjoy the new car!
Good on you ORB. 750£ to change the car seems to make a lot of sense. Granted it’s a smaller car but if you don’t need the space what’s the issue? I’ve driven neither but I can’t help but feel the new car will be nicer to drive with that engine. Kia have come a long way. I’m not to far from you (co9) postcode and I remember our nearest Kia dealer being based out of a glorified shed flogging Kia prides. That was only 20 years ago and I’m led to believe the glass place they have now at the top of the a120 is now the biggest Kia dealer in the country. Hope you enjoy the new car!

I take it you mean underwoods? Had a minor gltch when I first started using them many moons back, but sorted quickly. Good as gold now.

Sales manager is good, and has a sense of humour too. Kia have certainly come a long way, from when I looked at a Sportage in Abu Dhabi, when YRG was thinking of buying there. (she worked there at the time)

You are only about 15 miles away, so if you email at moderators, I'll reply, and perhaps meet for a pint? Nice pub here. The Anchor at Stratford st Mary, Dogs welcome, and super food, Ghost ship zero alc available.

Edited by _ORB_ on 04/10/2021 at 19:31

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - Chris79
Hello ORB,

Not underwood’s - west drive at Braintree. I’m in Gosfield.

I’m always interested in a pint of ale - excuse the ignorance but how do I email the moderators??

All the best

Chris

excuse the ignorance but how do I email the moderators??

Go to the top of the Motoring Discussion home page, in amongst the do's and don'ts, it tells you how to contact the mod's

So, have done the final sums after paying off the PCP..

£708.32 ... cost to change.

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - Energyman
Hope you are pleased with the Stonic, have just traded in 2018 diesel I30 for hybrid Kona, have to say handling is better than some previous opinions, only had it 10 days but pleased so far.
Had to change as oil level had kept rising for last 18 months despite 20k a year, dealer said keep an eye on it!
Hope you are pleased with the Stonic, have just traded in 2018 diesel I30 for hybrid Kona, have to say handling is better than some previous opinions, only had it 10 days but pleased so far. Had to change as oil level had kept rising for last 18 months despite 20k a year, dealer said keep an eye on it!

So, will it get sold on like that?

I was told new software was being written to resolve it, but hadn’t been done when I sold it, still under decent warranty. It will no doubt appear on a forecourt somewhere.
When I was looking spoke to a Kia dealer who said they had had taken back a Tucson that took a long time to fix and they made an extra 2k in value whilst it was off the road!
New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - Plantop

Hi, l have just purchased a new white stonic gt line and have only done 88 mls so far.We took the actual car we bought for the test drive and are really pleased with all aspects so far,got a great deal on the scrappage scheme and even got some all weather mats thrown in! We had taken a kona out previously but was very disappointed with it . A neighbour has had problems with her hybrid kona which didn’t bode well.

Hi, do know what problems she has had with the Kona hybrid?
I am up to 800 miles and all ok so far, but beginning to sweat now!
Ride and handling is fine so far, better than the I30, which wasn’t bad though. It came on Michelin Primacy tyres and is indicating 58mpg. Power is surprisingly good and pulls very well up hills with the electric motor helping. Can also use the paddles on the steering wheel to brake using the electric motor, not sure if this activates brake lights or not, if I get rear ended I will know they don’t!
Hi, do know what problems she has had with the Kona hybrid? I am up to 800 miles and all ok so far, but beginning to sweat now! Ride and handling is fine so far, better than the I30, which wasn’t bad though. It came on Michelin Primacy tyres and is indicating 58mpg. Power is surprisingly good and pulls very well up hills with the electric motor helping. Can also use the paddles on the steering wheel to brake using the electric motor, not sure if this activates brake lights or not, if I get rear ended I will know they don’t!

I wouldn't worry too much, you have a 5 year warranty should anything happen.

I'm assuming the paddle adjusts the amount of brake regeneration rather than directly operating the brakes?. And yes, slowing the car through brake regen activates the brake lights.

Hi, as far as l know it was refusing to function at all, however it is back and all is well with it! When l find out exactly what it was l will let you know.

Up to 600 ish miles on mine now, and zero problems..

But that is what I expect..

Hi, can l ask what way you have been running it in? Also what cleaning products you recommend for the black trim and paintwork? Thanks

Yes paddles adjust the regeneration, probably the closest I will get to impersonating Lewis Hamilton! Quite a useful method of slowing in the right circumstances, though as brake lights come on could be annoying if you are behind.
Just followed the guidance in the handbook for running in, nothing excessive or too constant basically for first 600 miles.
3 hour round trip down the A11 and M11 tomorrow, so will give it a good test.
Had total failure on I30 once, sat there panicking for a bit then realised I had knocked auto shift into manual as I got out, so nothing would function until it was back in auto.
Current car has so many warning messages that I keep finding, even warns you if you leave phone lin wireless charger if you get out .
Will use the autoglym products I have left from previous car, paint protection chucked in for free when I bought it, though truth was probably I paid a bit too much and salesman chucked it in so he would get his extra commission!

Hi, can l ask what way you have been running it in? Also what cleaning products you recommend for the black trim and paintwork? Thanks

Running it in, ...Drove 125 miles to drop sister off at Junction 1 of M^, (niece collected her), then drove back. bit of mixed urban, the Heathrow las satirday to collect swmbo sunday, mixed driving, but not "thrashing" it.

Cleaning products are everyone's choice.

Mine gets a mexican carwash and a £2 jetwash when I feel like it.

Others here will suggest cleaning products.

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - Engineer Andy

Running it in, ...Drove 125 miles to drop sister off at Junction 1 of M^, (niece collected her), then drove back. bit of mixed urban, the Heathrow las satirday to collect swmbo sunday, mixed driving, but not "thrashing" it.

Cleaning products are everyone's choice.

Mine gets a mexican carwash and a £2 jetwash when I feel like it.

Others here will suggest cleaning products.

What is a 'Mexican car wash', ORB? I Googled it, and the first answer was, well....

What is a 'Mexican car wash', ORB? I Googled it, and the first answer was, well....

Leave it in the rain....

And you thought something else...

Quite like the Mexican car wash idea!. Looking to do a much longer run this weekend, can’t wait , after a 14 year old car it is a bit mind boggling as to the different aids ,still lots to learn but all in good time, so far very impressed!

Enjoy, It is a lot more reponsive than the Sportage, but just make sure that you are in an appropriate gear,.

Tip1, Keep lanekeepassist tirned ON.

I think it's brilliant.

Vary your revs in various gears and don't "thrash" it, but a bit of welly won't harm it.

The oil level on a new car is virtually impossible to read, by check after stopping and allowing everything to settle 10 minutes and wipe dipstick and you will just see.. Mine is near on the halfway mark.

Halfords fitted dashcam nextbase 522 last week and taught me how to download via wifii.

So far so good.

Overall MPG @ 690 miles is 50.5 (computer). will do brim to brim, starting this weekend.

Thanks for the great advice,l have found that it seems to want me to change gear early compared to other vehicles but assume that is all about mpg. Have only really driven it in eco setting so far what setting do you recommend for longer journeys? My last car was a Renault which had the automatic oil check every time you started up so will have to get back in the habit.

Hi Orb, have just done a 200 mile run in my stonic and was very impressed, l am looking for some advice,on the Kia website it states the engine oil is api sn plus 0W20 for the new stonic. The dealer has confirmed that they use total quartz api sn plus but from a bulk barrel obviously! I have looked for this with no luck however their service dept have said as long as it is fully synthetic 0W20 oil that will be fine, so l am looking for recommendations basically, this is my first Kia and want to make sure l maintain it properly,my last three new cars never ever required any top ups so l assume from your comments about the engine oil that these engines do use a little oil to begin with? I have been looking at 1 litre bottles is that enough for between services as l am only a low mileage driver? Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations

www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/global/en/assets...f

After looking at the above site, The ASK HJ sent me off to Castrol

wbsite,www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/car-engi...e

and found Castrol Magnatec professional, 0w20 which meets all the latest specs for these type of engines.

product spec sheet.

msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8A8...f

Hope this helps/

£14.60 at Eurocarparts buy online for click and collect to get that price.

My dealer, who is also a VX dealer has Vauxhall oil in stock at £23 a litre and offered me that.

Thank you so much for your advice , that’s a great help

Hi ,l have also found castrol edge 0w20 on Amazon for £15.46 that is also api sn plus rated fully synthetic which l believe is suitable as well.with free delivery

Edited by Plantop on 13/10/2021 at 16:57

Hi ,l have also found castrol edge 0w20 on Amazon for £15.46 that is also api sn plus rated fully synthetic which l believe is suitable as well.with free delivery

Well done!

Keep up with the updates.

Do you have a spare? Mine could be for sale as I don't like spacesavers and will but a 16" alloy and tyre.

Hi, can’t get the castrol oil at any of the kent euro car parts but did find shell helix ultra 0w20 for £11.27 which is fully synthetic, my stonic is on 17 “ alloys and the spare wheel well is where the hybrid batteries live so it just comes with the Kia sealant and compressor, l have also bought a holts tyre sealant for a fiver from Tesco which was on offer! My onboard mpg reckoned after my first long run it was averaging 58 mpg! I did leave it in eco with out thought and varied my speed around 58to 65 on the motorway avg as obviously running in,by the way 2 weeks in and my sat nav has told me it has an update available! Which the dealership has agreed to do foc.

Edited by Plantop on 13/10/2021 at 17:44

New Car - Kia Stonic 1.0 2 spec T-gdi 6 speed white - SLO76
That Sportage worked out well for you ORB. I quite like the Stonic, it’s quirky and I’ve always been a fan of 3/5cyl engines. Odd numbered cylinders usually give you an interesting engine note at full chat, but it does rather encourage right foot exercise.