What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG RV8 - Researching the mileage of an imported classic car - GT

The majority of the RV8's were built for the Japanese market. Many have been re-imported back to the UK and I'm considering buying one from someone who has owned it for 17 years. It was re-imported in 2000, he bought the car in 2004 and has an MOT certificate from the previous year, but he doesn't know whether the mileage stated included its time in Japan or just since it was re-imported (the KPH/Km speedo/odometer was replaced with a MPH/miles one). Without much success so far, I'm trying to find out what the odometer reading was at the point of re-import. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether HMRC (or HM Customs & Excise as they were known at the time) would have any shareable documentation showing the reading, or the details of who imported it. I've already contacted DVLA but data protection forbids them sharing any previous owner details with me. They say that as the car was three years old at re-import then it would have needed an MOT (which may well have shown a zero odometer reading) so there should have been two or three MOT's done before the 2003 certificate. I purchased a vehicle check package from CheckCarDetails.co.uk but the MOT history they provided only starts in 2006.

MG RV8 - Researching the mileage of an imported classic car - SLO76
I think you’ll just have to base your decision on condition and history. I doubt it would’ve had a big mileage anyway. Scour the service books for any mention of it. I don’t think there’s any way to find out what it’s mileage was at import.
MG RV8 - Researching the mileage of an imported classic car - daveyjp

If you haven't yet done so contact the MG owners club as they may have some records of the vehicle.

MG RV8 - Researching the mileage of an imported classic car - GT

If you haven't yet done so contact the MG owners club as they may have some records of the vehicle.

daveyjp - good thought. I'm actually a member of the MGOC (also of the MGCC) so I'll see if there's any info.

MG RV8 - Researching the mileage of an imported classic car - BPL

Check for the physical evidence of high mileage?