What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Custom made car mats? - Warning

I popped into Halfords, and they offered custom made car mats.

I have an older car, but I think I want to treat myself..... I am not sure if there are other places, I could try.

Where I park, there is a lot of gravel and it always gets into the car.... I have lots of little tarmac stones on the driver side. So I am not sure if this is a good idea......

I don't always get my car cleaning from inside, due to COVID (from outside) and I don't have a drive way.... my local petrol station vacuums are always broken....

Custom made car mats? - bathtub tom

What's the OP trying to tell us?

Custom made car mats? - daveyK_UK
I have experienced at least 2 eBay sellers who offer custom car mats, happy to recommend both sellers if that is permitted on the forum, good quality product.

Custom made car mats? - catsdad

This was covered last week in the Hyundai thread started by Guitarspark. Custom made presumably means not the universal fit where you need to trim the rubber edges to fit. If so there are lots of companies doing these. It’s worth looking at the previous thread for recommendations.

Custom made car mats? - badbusdriver

I am not sure if there are other places, I could try.

Yes, 'The Internet'

;-)

Custom made car mats? - Xileno

"...happy to recommend both sellers if that is permitted on the forum, good quality product."

No problem in mentioning companies people have had positive experiences from. It's one of the most useful things about a forum like this, where people can share that sort of feedback. We only remove obvious spam - not difficult to spot in 99% of cases.

Negative feedback is usually OK as long as it's fair, balanced and in moderate language.

Custom made car mats? - wantstolearn

Excellent guidance. Recommendations, and warnings are an invaluable feature of a respected forum.

Custom made car mats? - Warning

My post was n't particularly great. Halfords has a variety of different custom qualities.

On display, they had thin ones and a thicker carpet. When I typed in my registration, I was only given one option, so really can't tell which one it was.

When hunting around on the web, it is hard to tell if it is a thick pile or thin pile....

I found the Hyundai post:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/158095/hyundai-tuc...n--

Custom made car mats? - catsdad

Yes that’s the thread.

I don’t think the Halfords ones are custom made mats as I would define them. They seem to just offer several standard mats that are a possible (rough?) fit. The online places previously suggested on the other thread all offer properly individually fitted mats for a wide range of cars. In my limited expert experience they also match with the anchor points in the cars. Loose mats under the pedals are not to be recommended.
I have never found any problem with the online traders as regards finding the steps in quality they offer. Any I have looked at offer at least basic and luxury mats with usually a grade or two in between. You pretty much get what you pay for but at the end of the day they are just mats so best not to overthink.

Edited by catsdad on 05/09/2021 at 13:18

Custom made car mats? - RT

When hunting around on the web, it is hard to tell if it is a thick pile or thin pile.

Many of the internet sellers quote the grams per square meter (g/sm) with 500 being thin and 2500 being super-thick.

Custom made car mats? - FoxyJukebox

Sadly new customised mats will not stop dirt and tar bits from footwear .
If it was me I’d just buy some nice rubber mats ( easy to clean) or go to a carpet shop, buy some remnants and cut a template?

Edited by Dogfuzz on 05/09/2021 at 16:23

Custom made car mats? - badbusdriver
Sadly new customised mats will not stop dirt and tar bits from footwear . If it was me I’d just buy some nice rubber mats ( easy to clean) or go to a carpet shop, buy some remnants and cut a template?

You used to get absolutely brilliant 'footwell protection' for Volvo's. I'm deliberately not using the term mats, because they weren't, not in any normal sense. Made of semi rigid plastic, they were incredibly sturdy and hardwearing. Moulded to the shape of the front and rear footwells and they had a decent 'lip' (about an inch and a half if memory serves) all the way round. What this meant is that in wintery or very wet conditions, you could pick them up, like a plate, and tip the water out on to the ground!. I seem to remember them also having sharp plastic points on the underside to stop any movement. Not sure how recently they were still available, but I certainly remember them in 240's, 740's and 940's.

Custom made car mats? - Xileno

They were called floor trays and were even available in different colours to match the car interior.

Custom made car mats? - RT

They were called floor trays and were even available in different colours to match the car interior.

Those sort of mats are available from Weathertech - I have a set in my VW Touareg, they're very good as they stop the small grit spilling of the mat and getting trapped underneath.

Custom made car mats? - edlithgow

I have some I cut from what I think may be old conveyor belting, plus some trays on top.

The belt-based ones have come in handy as traction aids when bogged down in loose beach sand a couple of times.